New Dominator, Need some advice.

Gauntlet_Prime

I have never really played a Dom outside of maybe 7-8 levels back on live and recently made a Dark/Martial (I like the idea of a ninja that controls shadows to hold enemies).

What are the must have powers in each set?

What set bonuses does a Dom normally build for (or at least what should I build for?)?

The damage (at level 8 so far) does not feel that impressive.  Is there something I'm missing? (Like the containment crits on controllers making them suddenly do respectable damage.)

If there is anything else I should be asking then also lease offer those tender morsels of delicious information as well.

Thank you for even bothering to read this far.

I wouldn't skip anything but the single target Immobilize. Dark's AoE Hold is great. It's an instant Mag 6 Hold (in Domination mode) with a lingering -ToHit field that lasts 45 seconds. Way better than other AoE Holds and too good to pass up (not that I'd personally ever skip the AoE Hold on a finished Dominator build BTW, just while leveling up).

If you haveto skip something, skip Haunt. But I'd still try not to, unless you exclusively team. Think of Haunt like a blast power with a good DPA,

For Martial, pick about 5 powers you like. Envenomed Blades is a given. I'd definitely take Trick Shot. The others will be a toss up depending on what works for your build.

Tertiary I'd probably roll with Ice, Psi, or Fire, depending on how I was feeling. 

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

Spoiler

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
		|MxDz;1480;670;1340;HEX;|
		|78DA6594C94F137114C77FD3990AA5209BA56059A42CDDEC32D1A35A90021A6D82D|
		|6E5A4758215278E1DD24E133DFA178098D8B8444012F5E4BFA289DE8CCB412317C5|
		|A847607CEDF7D99274D2E633BFEF5BFBDE4CD37752ADAF67EF2585D43E6568C5623|
		|665DED6F39A65169AD3254BB374332F0BBA9AE8EBAFD9B25366DE2A98462CA5156E|
		|E57314C6C270DD65B258D44A86154B6B054BD78CFF67D132675260663197BBDE56B|
		|D9DD1176E5A7A7EC18D93513976E1DE2CCCE7B2E68DEC65DD307CD38BFA7CAC9E3F|
		|63968C6C5A2B5AB9C2DD5EEA6E9CBEDB5EC197ED14938A10AA221CC798C741E5043|
		|309EE9B0097466BB18A501DB045C1E618330EEE4F803B544FE218E922DBCE811DE7|
		|9919B0EB02789FEAC81C233F2504C856060F3C623E017B1E83BB54C7C9314E0D797|
		|AAE80BD579959F0E035D0F6626B9598A62F5255EBFFC0FC0C0E7E627E0497A93717|
		|C7B842C8D3126006C1D6303302FAA988BB3A045B7247047A608E90AD0D36D1E682F|
		|F03AAD1CE35DA57A18DAE31D799CFC1F10D50A205772246EEDC8236F2877D7E33FF|
		|B22FD5EC86AFE8B6E91232291EEED0A3CA55AF701C54C8E6E50EBD1E4CC141D5FAB|
		|8C3BED3C87A689A39C39C05874F8182627C1CE3DB246D806CDF99DFC091AFCC04A6|
		|E3E8A123773AC0139329CF10FA5186A6903B30C19C6426C1D049F0214DD4CFD3F1B|
		|F479ED03B30FE86F9162C93EF18FB8EBD8216DD60BE00D597E0128D28587DBE6D39|
		|B88EB724F40C0CAF32D7C0CD562122FCFB2336FA3ABCCDDC65EE805181D92F1362B|
		|C9718EF25CE7B59212490CF91E08DABBC699537DFAFD4DE58FA5436EDAF2BF69970|
		|FD3EDCE0996850D406E5488372B44139DBA0CC29B5FF042155155747ED8DB77FB49|
		|0959F37298A396FEDD52EE119FCB9570BC2EF575D93A4326630B802FE03AEE5F3A3|
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

This is the build I came up with.  I think I over chased the recharge bonus dream but it is what it is for now.  I figured If I am locking down the field I may not need tons of def bonuses. 

Any advice is more than welcome.  This is my first Dom so I really am at a loss for basic build rules for them.

As was mentioned, generally AoE holds can be skipped while levelling because of the long recharge times. End game is a different story. I wouldn't blame anyone who takes one early, but you generally know what you are getting with an AoE hold, so use the choice to try a different power before a Respec.

14 hours ago, tidge said:

As was mentioned, generally AoE holds can be skipped while levelling because of the long recharge times. End game is a different story. I wouldn't blame anyone who takes one early, but you generally know what you are getting with an AoE hold, so use the choice to try a different power before a Respec.

I would never skip an aoe hold even at lower levels. If anything it can act as a panic button and at early levels you only need two acc IOs until you're ready to start building,

7 hours ago, mbre2006 said:

I would never skip an aoe hold even at lower levels. If anything it can act as a panic button and at early levels you only need two acc IOs until you're ready to start building,

The Panic Button is really the only practical reason to have an AoE Hold. I admit that I've taken the AoE holds on Controllers ASAP, but the (leveling up) recharge times don't make it as useful during solo play for me. YMMV,O. "Panic Button" has a couple of meanings for toons, as hitting the AoE and accidentally grabbing more aggro than you want certainly can cause a panic!

My Doms hold off on the AoE holds until the global recharge is better.

7 hours ago, mbre2006 said:

I second this. AoE holds/Stuns/Inmob... Thats your job as a Dominator. I tend to not skip any of those even solo. To have all those tools at your disposition will open the door to run bigger mobs and get more XP/inf all the time.

In some sets AoE inmobs/Sleep are debatable to take. Is up to you and what You will be doing with your toon. 

If im running a team the only reason to invite a Dominator is for AoE holds/Fear/Stuns etc. Damage mitigation for all the team. 

• 2 weeks later

With the right exploitation (and a chunk of change) you can get permadom by level 30, and holds are an easy 7.5 with the Basilisk set 4-slotted, so I prefer to not skip them.

Dominators really start to explode when you have permadom (or close to it), so don't get too discouraged by low level performance.

I think the choice whether or not to skip an AoE hold largely depends on the primary chosen, for some it is absolutely vital and for others it is largely skippable. Highlighted in blue are the "best" AoE holds, red being don't pick it unless you have a set mule for it, yellow being "most of the time skipped, but not horrible," and the rest being "sometimes" cases.

-Fire's AoE hold is 100% skippable, flashfire + fire cages is legitimately the same effect as the hold, and then you have bonfire with kb-kd, makes the hold really redundant, also is a PBAoE, negative IMO. It is almost never taken for anything beyond a set mule. Not a bad power, just not needed by any means.

-Darkness' AoE hold is glorious, you *can* skip it, but I find it honestly worth the pick and quite great at what it does, has range. 

-Earth's AoE hold is again glorious, I would almost never skip it but you can forgo it with high recharge to just do Stone Cages + Stalagmites, also has range.

-Elec's AoE hold is debatable, it's a "sometimes" case where you sometimes do want it, but there are definitely builds you can make that will function well if not better than with the hold, that said it's not a "bad" choice, it has range which is a huge plus for a hold IMO. 

-Gravity's AoE hold is largely in the same boat as Elec's, but Wormhole will largely make it feel "outclassed."

-Plant's AoE hold is debtable, but most of the time skipped. It is ranged which is good, it can be good in some situations, but you have by far the most broken AoE control in SoC... I could see this being used by groups who really hate the exp loss over confuses (there is debate on if it is even a loss over time due to the fact it can be a net gain). Overall, SoC is just going to be used so much more often and will amount to much greater things than its hold will.

-Mind's AoE hold is again debatable but actually usually taken. It is often rotated with Terrify + Mass Confusion. It is a ranged hold which is a huge positive IMO, and it is the only power that mind has that truly keeps an enemy locked into place (assuming no knockback).
-Ice's AoE hold is sadly taken more often than not because of lack of other options. The really good AoE control in this set is Ice Slick which is its bread and butter, the hold helps it keep rotation from group to group.

Edited by Zeraphia
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zeraphia said:

I think the choice whether or not to skip and AoE hold largely depends on the primary chosen, for some it is absolutely vital and for others it is largely skippable. Highlighted in blue are the "best" AoE holds, red being don't pick it unless you have a set mule for it, yellow being "most of the time skipped, but not horrible," and the rest being "sometimes" cases.

-Fire's AoE hold is 100% skippable, flashfire + fire cages is legitimately the same effect as the hold, and then you have bonfire with kb-kd, makes the hold really redundant, also is a PBAoE, negative IMO. It is almost never taken for anything beyond a set mule. Not a bad power, just not needed by any means.

Perhaps ironic, perhaps not... but I didn't opt to take the AoE hold on my Fire Dom until the lvl 50 respec.

I agree with the logic presented above, but when I'm running my Dominator through the early Dark Astoria arcs, I will throw out Cinders to shutdown the army of healing Tsoo Sorcerers at the points in my attack chain when I can't out-damage them.

• Like 1

I always take the AOE holds in all the sets because they are excellent "uh oh" buttons for when someone (usually me) over-aggros. Drop the hold on one of the groups and it gives you some serious relieve. The Dark hold is one of my favorites because it is location targeted, rather than target targeted. This means I can plop it wherever I want without retargeting. Also, being a field, it can hold enemies who move into it, so it can be set to block a door or something. You might choose to push it back a few levels, as you are leveling up, if you have something way better to choose at the time.

The main two I skip on Dark are Shadowy Binds and Possess. If you are planning to solo AVs, you probably want to pick up Possess, though.

5 hours ago, VV said:

The main two I skip on Dark are Shadowy Binds and Possess. If you are planning to solo AVs, you probably want to pick up Possess, though.

I'm really surprised by this.  I rank confuses higher than holds.  Might just be a playstyle thing, but they last longer, look cooler and add a bit to damage.  I understand it allows them to move, but they almost always move where I'd want them to go anyway.  I think Possess and Confuse are part of what makes Dark and Mind appealing at early levels.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with possess. But 2 second cast single target confuse becomes a lot less important in the higher levels once you have good recharge and some defenses in place. Purple confuse proc in it is decent, but you can generally just fearsome stare and attack easier groups, or aoe stun tougher groups to similar effect.

I find I rarely use it on my dark/sav once i hit the late 30's. Very rarely as soon as I slotted out perma dom.

2 hours ago, Frosticus said:

Nothing wrong with possess. But 2 second cast single target confuse becomes a lot less important in the higher levels once you have good recharge and some defenses in place. Purple confuse proc in it is decent, but you can generally just fearsome stare and attack easier groups, or aoe stun tougher groups to similar effect.

I find I rarely use it on my dark/sav once i hit the late 30's. Very rarely as soon as I slotted out perma dom.

The effect isn't always on mobs or in group play, it's mainly on AV targets where you stack the confuses to have said AV attack another AV or you can become neigh-invincible with the confuses stacking.

11 minutes ago, Zeraphia said:

The effect isn't always on mobs or in group play, it's mainly on AV targets where you stack the confuses to have said AV attack another AV or you can become neigh-invincible with the confuses stacking.

If your intent is confuse stacking to solo multiple AV's then mind is a much better choice than dark because mind can reset them with sleep if/when something goes wrong. In addition to having a faster cast time and an aoe confuse to layer. 

Dark can do it, that aspect has been raised in the past, but you may encounter issues with that tactic vs +3 or higher AV's.  Or you may not. ymmv. 

6 hours ago, Phalanx480bc said:

I'm really surprised by this.  I rank confuses higher than holds.  Might just be a playstyle thing, but they last longer, look cooler and add a bit to damage.  I understand it allows them to move, but they almost always move where I'd want them to go anyway.  I think Possess and Confuse are part of what makes Dark and Mind appealing at early levels.

Yes, but you can't swap out Possess for Dark Grasp. Like I said, if you are going for soloing AVs, then you do want Possess, you could dump an AOE in your secondary for it. It all depends on your secondary, really. If you have something extra you can dump, you could pick up Possess. 

This is the build I'm currently working toward. Few purples cos those are dear. I'm at the cusp of Perma-dom now depending on where Hasten is (I'm not perma-hasten). I think once I've gotten the ATO it'll be there. 

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Martial Assault
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5), UnbCns-Dam%(5), Apc-Dam%(39)
Level 1: Shuriken Throw -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(7), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 2: Living Shadows -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(11), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(13), Acc-I(50)
Level 4: Trick Shot -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(15), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(17), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), GldJvl-Dam%(19)
Level 6: Possess -- AscoftheD-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), AscoftheD-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(7), AscoftheD-EndRdx/Rchg(19), AscoftheD-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(21), AscoftheD-Rchg/+Dmg%(21)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(23), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(25), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(25), HO:Endo(27), DmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(43)
Level 10: Fly -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- Stp-Acc/Rchg(A), Stp-EndRdx/Stun(23), Stp-Acc/EndRdx(29), Stp-Stun/Rng(29), Stp-Acc/Stun/Rchg(31), CldSns-%Dam(31)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 16: Envenomed Blades -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(33)
Level 18: Haunt -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(27), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(46), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 20: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(34)
Level 26: Shadow Field -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(31), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(36), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(36), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(36)
Level 28: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(37), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(37)
Level 35: Masterful Throw -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(39), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(40), StnoftheM-Dam%(40), GldJvl-Dam%(42)
Level 38: Explosive Shuriken -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43)
Level 41: Sleet -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 44: Hoarfrost -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Rchg(45), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(45), DctWnd-Heal(45), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 47: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def(48), GldArm-3defTpProc(50)
Level 49: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(46)
------------

So it turned out I was already at Permadom levels without the ATO or the Doctored Wounds. So rejigged things to replace some spare recharge with ranged defense (since I'm never in melee range anyway). 

Lucked out on a S/L farm on another char this morning too while earning the Inf for the ATOs and two purples dropped so crafted and converted them into PROCs for my hold and Trick Shot. So my build ended up like this : 

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Orblivion: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Martial Assault
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5), UnbCns-Dam%(5), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(19)
Level 1: Shuriken Throw -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(7), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(11)
Level 2: Living Shadows -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(11), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(13), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(13), Acc-I(50)
Level 4: Trick Shot -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(15), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(17), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), Apc-Dam%(19)
Level 6: Possess -- MlsIll-Acc/Conf/Rchg(A), MlsIll-Acc/Rchg(7)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(23), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(25), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(43)
Level 10: Fly -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- Stp-Acc/Rchg(A), Stp-EndRdx/Stun(23), Stp-Acc/EndRdx(29), Stp-Stun/Rng(29), Stp-Acc/Stun/Rchg(31), CldSns-%Dam(31)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 16: Envenomed Blades -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(33)
Level 18: Haunt -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(21), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(21), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(27), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(46), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48)
Level 20: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Tough -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(34)
Level 26: Shadow Field -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(31), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(36), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(36), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(36)
Level 28: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(37), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(37)
Level 35: Masterful Throw -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(39), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(40), StnoftheM-Dam%(40), GldJvl-Dam%(42)
Level 38: Explosive Shuriken -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(39), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 41: Sleet -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 44: Hoarfrost -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(45), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(45), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(45), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(46), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def(48), GldArm-3defTpProc(50)
Level 49: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(46)
------------