Please help me decide between Rad Armor/Bio Armor

Kumate

I currently have a Bio/Fire melee tanker and love him so far but just started to hit mobs that debuffed my recharge rate and well I didn't like it lol.  I did some research and found that is the flaw of Bio is getting debuffed.  I also read that Rad is considered a decent farming/offense spec if you want to avoid fire armor. (I love fire armor but just has so many holes..scared the hard work won't be enough).  My intent is to farm more then just fire missions. My wife plays a fire/kin controller or a fire/time corrupter so DPS wise we are decent, I want to hold aggro and survive with no issues while doing decent dps.  I was locked on with fire melee because I love how the tank change really helped Fire melee (Both aoes are 15 radius and a target cap of 16).  It also as nice single target chain compared to spines.  Also with wife hitting me with speed boost, I only need combustion and FSC because one is always up, making it not required to get fireball.  If I went with Rad armor then I would also throw in ground zero.

But for Bio and Rad, I am torn.  I think they both survive nearly the same but I am starting to think that Rad will be better in more situations with meltdown and RoP combo (even without RoP).  Also orginally everyone was saying that ground zero wasnt worth it as a DPS ability but now people are saying its a proc monster.  So I am not sure what to think.  Lastly, I have been thinking of rad armor also because Im told you can slot IG to be a proc monster also.

For someone who wants to survive and do the most damage I can as a tank, outside of Fire armor and titanweapon, what would you do any why please.

Thanks

I personaly don't farm but from every thing I have read Rad/Spines is equal to or better than Fire/spines at farms and being Rad it should be very easy to build out side of a pure fire farmer.

You don't read as much but they are definatly out there on bio/ farmers. Personally just based on popularity for an all around farmer I would go with Rad/Fire

I have a Bio/Rad and a Rad/spines tank.  It's hard to say which is better because I enjoy both. However, I personally like my Bio/Rad better since he was the first tank I played since we came back Home.

I love being able to switch from Offensive Adaptation (which I stay in 95% of the time) to Defensive Adaptation (for when things get REALLY bad). With Bio, you can build it to have so-so resists and capped Fire/Cold/Energy/Negative Energy defense (with Smash/lethal pushing 40% and Psi around 32%). That's in OFFENSIVE ADAPTATION by the way. The kicker is your heals and Regen. When I'm in a mob, I can regen around 195 HP/Sec. I've hit 220+ hp/sec before.  It almost makes you feel like a God. The downside? No resists to Defense Debuffs and Regeneration. So, either take those enemies out first, or switch to Defensive and keep an eye on your health.

Now, the Rad/Spines is STOUT. If you're in a fire farm, you can literally walk away, fix a drink, smoke a cigarette, come back, and you'll be surrounded by dead mobs. Capped resists goes a long way. I made this one because I wanted ALL THE AGGRO, and the fact that I can debuff enemies and heal my teammates. I didn't realize at the time just how strong Radiation Armor was. 

I will throw this out there as well...I teamed with a friend that was running his Rad/Spines tank, and I was on my Bio/Rad tank. He died once, and I never came close to dying.

A lot of it depends on what set bonuses you go for and how you build your tank.

Have fun!

• Like 1

I've mentioned this combination before, but I'll say it again, if you're going to pick TW (arguably an over-performer in every situation) then it fixes the defense hole Rad needed filled with defensive sweep... You can tank +4 ITF with ease.

I actually did a pylon time of 3:42 for a total DPS of 300. On. A. Tanker. That is SOLID DPS, and this build isn't even optimized for ST, it can actually go up quite a bit more, and the AoE on this thing is absurd, you get two proc monsters form Rad, also get AoD + Whirling.

The build caps every single resistance sans Cold damage, the least seen damage type in the game. I've tanked LR with ease even while defense inspirations weren't there, I've tanked iTrials easily, can farm just about any group easily, there literally isn't a single flaw w/ this combination.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Tanker
Primary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Secondary Power Set: Titan Weapons
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-Max HP%(11), ImpArm-ResPsi(19)
Level 1: Defensive Sweep -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(42), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 2: Gamma Boost -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal(3), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(3)
Level 4: Proton Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(11), ImpArm-ResPsi(17)
Level 6: Fallout Shelter -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(15), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(15), ImpArm-ResPsi(17)
Level 8: Radiation Therapy -- ScrDrv-Dam%(A), TchoftheN-%Dam(29), Obl-%Dam(48), Erd-%Dam(29), Arm-Dam%(31)
Level 10: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Beta Decay -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(19), Ags-Psi/Status(21), ImpArm-ResPsi(23)
Level 16: Weave -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Rct-ResDam%(21), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31), ShlWal-Def(33), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(33), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(34)
Level 18: Particle Shielding -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(23), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(25), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(25), Prv-Heal/Rchg(27), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(27)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(34), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(34), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(39)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 26: Ground Zero -- HO:Nucle(A), ScrDrv-Dam%(46), Erd-%Dam(46), Obl-%Dam(50), TchofLadG-%Dam(50)
Level 28: Crushing Blow -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(42)
Level 30: Rend Armor -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(39), Hct-Acc/Rchg(40), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(40), AchHee-ResDeb%(42)
Level 32: Follow Through -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(43), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 35: Whirling Smash -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(36), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Arc of Destruction -- Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Arm-Dmg(40), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(50)
Level 41: Taunt -- Range-I(A)
Level 44: Build Momentum -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 47: Super Speed -- Run-I(A)
Level 49: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 1: Momentum 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Barrier Radial Epiphany 
------------

Edited by 33053222

I'm not sure if /Bio is suited for a tank. /Bio does not have DDR. /Bio's regen and absorbs are nice but will not be enough to save from a horde of cimemorans wailing on them. CC (constant knockdowns from Footstomp) or secondaries with defense increases (Katana, TW, Staff) will help negate this flaw.

FOR A TANK I am going to say Rad armor.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sovera said:

That's it - in Mah opinion for Tankers/Brutes Resistance-based Sets (such as Rad) > Defense-based Sets (such as Bio). For Scrappers/Stalkers - opposite.

Edited by Purrfekshawn

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

9 hours ago, Sovera said:

I'm not sure if /Bio is suited for a tank. /Bio does not have DDR. /Bio's regen and absorbs are nice but will not be enough to save from a horde of cimemorans wailing on them. CC (constant knockdowns from Footstomp) or secondaries with defense increases (Katana, TW, Staff) will help negate this flaw.

Bio and Cimerorans, hmm aside from team support, which you make sound, lacking, I'd be tempted to pair Bio with Presence pool and give the ITF a shot using the pbaoe fear and unrelenting for the self res just incase I was wrong about the fear.

Edited by NEW DAWN

Some players make their characters all about them, if it doesn't help them, they don't want it, their build advice to you will ofcourse be about making your character the best thing that helps them too if they ever team with you, because it's always about them.

6 minutes ago, NEW DAWN said:

Bio and Cimerorans, hmm aside from team support, which you make sound, lacking, I'd be tempted to pair Bio with Presence pool and give the ITF a shot for the pbaoe fear and unrelenting for the self res just incase I was wrong.

There are other reasons why /Bio is lacking for a Tanker. It has zero ways of natively raising S/L defenses so it needs to be brought up with pools and set bonuses. That makes the build tight (no real room for the Presence pool unless deciding to chuck Hasten). Because it relies on set bonuses and pools it doesn't benefit from the extra defense that Tankers get. So it ends being the same as a Scrapper ultimately.

Why is this a problem? Because a Tanker is an agro sponge. They will just vacuum up agro and make everyone mad at them. A Scrapper can get away with this.

Since the question wasn't 'does /Bio work for a Tanker' and instead 'Rad or Bio for a tanker, which?' I'm still going with Rad.

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

There are other reasons why /Bio is lacking for a Tanker. It has zero ways of natively raising S/L defenses so it needs to be brought up with pools and set bonuses. That makes the build tight (no real room for the Presence pool unless deciding to chuck Hasten). Because it relies on set bonuses and pools it doesn't benefit from the extra defense that Tankers get. So it ends being the same as a Scrapper ultimately.

I just made a build, Bio Savage, with Hasten, Presence pool, for invoke panic and unrelenting, 20ft pbaoe fear being a means to lower dps, its got 90% resistance to S/L, as well. That with team support should be more than fine and solo, well can't be too bad. I'm tempted to make it a main now.

Some players make their characters all about them, if it doesn't help them, they don't want it, their build advice to you will ofcourse be about making your character the best thing that helps them too if they ever team with you, because it's always about them.

Both Sets are good.

I have no problem doing a +4ITF on a Bio Tanker. They can break my defences after a while but my S/L resists are more than capped and my regen easily copes with a Horde of cimemorans beating on me. I do this in Offensive stance also, so Efficient or defensive would do it even easier. 

I do suggest getting a lot of slow resist built in though as stacked slows are no joke.

But Rad can do this equally as well, also.

On the Bio/Rad Tanker i have, i debuff enemy Defence, Resistance and Regen. Have bonus damage, good resists and defence, amazing regen and built for good recharge.

DA/Rad would be pretty cool also.

I would prefer Rad over  Bio purely on esthetics.  Even on minimal FX settings Bio surrounds you with a cloud of dirt.   Picking dark colors on bright settings with Rad turns your character into an atom from a 1950s science book,  with little electron balls orbiting around you.  I think that is cooler.  Both can be made quite sturdy.  Both offer substantial relief from the endurance mechanic.  I have a bio spines tanker and a kinetic/rad scrapper at 50, and a rad/street justice tanker on Everlasting at around 34. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 3/10/2020 at 6:29 PM, Sovera said:

Conversely, Bio is good for a tank because it is easy to cap energy and negative energy defenses, which provides protection from the handful of attacks which can really shut down a tank, such as Malta Sappers and Dark Ring Mistress Carnival bosses.  Most of the really nasty debuffs in the game ride on either energy or negative energy typed attacks.  Since it is easy to get S/L resistance to the cap with Bio, that helps a lot with the lower S/L defense as Gobbledegook mentioned.  

2 minutes ago, Scientist said:

Conversely, Bio is good for a tank because it is easy to cap energy and negative energy defenses, which provides protection from the handful of attacks which can really shut down a tank, such as Malta Sappers and Dark Ring Mistress Carnival bosses.  Most of the really nasty debuffs in the game ride on either energy or negative energy typed attacks.  Since it is easy to get S/L resistance to the cap with Bio, that helps a lot with the lower S/L defense as Gobbledegook mentioned.  

Still considering the question in the topic, the Rad Armor has something like 86% resistance to recovery and endurance debuffs. As well as 75% defense against recharge and slow movements.

A Bio Armor Tanker has 86% resistance to endurance debuffs, but 0 to Recovery (which, like Super Stunner revives and Carnival deaths is an auto-hit effect anyway) and 60% resistance to recharge and slows.

Overall I would still lean towards Rad Armor.

18 hours ago, Sovera said:

Still considering the question in the topic, the Rad Armor has something like 86% resistance to recovery and endurance debuffs. As well as 75% defense against recharge and slow movements.

A Bio Armor Tanker has 86% resistance to endurance debuffs, but 0 to Recovery (which, like Super Stunner revives and Carnival deaths is an auto-hit effect anyway) and 60% resistance to recharge and slows.

Overall I would still lean towards Rad Armor.

It is achievable to get 100% recharge resistance on a Bio Tanker. Rad will just do it a little easier.

Bio has efficient stance and Recovery buffs that cover endurance. Switch to efficient pop a few buffs and switch back to offensive or defensive or just stay in efficient. I have never been drained by a freak or carnie except in the early levels maybe, but just stay in efficient then.

Bio has Far more Regeneration than Rad. Bio can debuff resistances and regen, Rad debuffs defence and to hit which i cover to some extent with a Bio/Rad melee Tanker.

Both are good. 

Edited by Gobbledegook