I feel like I'm missing something.

Saebeas

The concept of the mastermind one of my favorites, within the entire mmo genre. However, every time I roll one with high hopes, one thing keeps ruining it for me. I'm going to assume I'm just doing it wrong.

My pets die...a lot. I guess it wouldn't be so bad, but having to hit one or two summon powers and then two upgrade powers because 1-4 pets died, in almost every other group of mobs, leaves me without endurance and without courage to go on. For reference I usually get about midlevel and throw some ios or even sets in the pets. 

I guess I'm wondering what you successful full-time MM players do to keep your pets alive or at least ameliorate the process of reviving them. It's a lot of endurance going through that cycle so many times in a mission. I feel like a big leech on the team.

First and foremost look for the IO auras , it will give a lot of defense and resistance to your pets, which will make them sturdier

Second, try to pair the sets with their strenghts, like, zombies go well with things that increasee their resistance(like sonic or thermal), ninjas do great with defense sets ssuch as time.

Third, try using demons, or bots, they are more durable. . . thugs are great at damage and so are ninjas(but they`re actually paper ninjas who die when enemies sneezes without the correct build), zombies from necromancy are bad at AoEs, but at 32 every pet there has a life leech attack (and their boss monsters is a lich who act as a dark controller)

ohh and avoid mercs, sadly its way underpowered compared to others.

If you want to last forever, go with Forcefields as secondary, you and your pets will survive, I guarantee, only thing that will kill you is boredom....

Also, you will always have to do a resummon here and there, of course, not as much as  you`re describing, but, its part of the job

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Saebeas said:

My pets die...a lot.

Um ... which pet set are you trying to play?  The answers to how to keep your pets from faceplanting ... vary ... depending on which pets you're leading around.

• Like 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Just now, Redlynne said:

Um ... which pet set are you trying to play?  The answers to how to keep your pets from faceplanting ... vary ... depending on which pets you're leading around.

Thugs, beasts, Necro are a few I've tried.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rieitdd said:

First and foremost look for the IO auras , it will give a lot of defense and resistance to your pets, which will make them sturdier

Second, try to pair the sets with their strenghts, like, zombies go well with things that increasee their resistance(like sonic or thermal), ninjas do great with defense sets ssuch as time.

Third, try using demons, or bots, they are more durable. . . thugs are great at damage and so are ninjas(but they`re actually paper ninjas who die when enemies sneezes without the correct build), zombies from necromancy are bad at AoEs, but at 32 every pet there has a life leech attack (and their boss monsters is a lich who act as a dark controller)

ohh and avoid mercs, sadly its way underpowered compared to others.

If you want to last forever, go with Forcefields as secondary, you and your pets will survive, I guarantee, only thing that will kill you is boredom....

Also, you will always have to do a resummon here and there, of course, not as much as  you`re describing, but, its part of the job

Thanks man.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rieitdd said:

Seconding this - Pets with extra resistance and defense are a lot tougher (especially the AOE one - guy with flamethrower to other ATs is well, fire damage.  MM not catching it in time is a mass resummon)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Saebeas said:

My pets die...a lot.

Try making a Thugs/Cold MM. It is a late bloomer set, like you don't have many active powers for a while but between your Enforcers, Leadership, Cold shields and Arctic Fog your pets will be near defence cap by level 20ish.

• Like 2

Pets, BG mode, buff them and take aggro off them by dealing damage/control/debuff enemies directly yourself or perhaps a taunt power, be the highest threat. I like all options. Also depending on pets, pet placement and/or your position, keep aoes off them on you.

Some players make their characters all about them, if it doesn't help them, they don't want it, their build advice to you will ofcourse be about making your character the best thing that helps them too if they ever team with you, because it's always about them.

I have a thugs/cold, beast/time, mercs/thermal, bots/traps, ninja/time and a necro/dark.

Choose a secondary that compliments your primary. Thugs have Leadership and some defense, that's why I chose Cold. Their defenses are capped.

Mercs have some resistance (hence my thermal). Beasts have defense,  and time offers more defense(and heal). Necro has some resist, and lots of -to hit debuff. Ninjas have a little bit of defense.And of course bots have defense(bubbles from your tier 2).

My favorite/most fun to play would be my beasts/time. It's a fun effective set, and the chance to crit is even better. They're pretty sturdy due to what /Time offers. 

I like the ninja/time, but only when I'm teaming. The rest of the team helps keep aggro off the ninjas, and helps keep them alive. Bots/traps is just easy mode. Thugs/cold gets boring(to me). The Mercs and Necro are shelved. Decently fun, but nowhere near as fun as Beasts. 

Get the Pet +Defense and +Resists when you can. Those will help a lot. Bodyguard mode helps as well. Just dont go into MMs thinking that you're gonna be unstoppable. You're not. Your pets will die at times (even my capped Thugs or Beasts die occasionally).

The biggest thing is just have fun.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 6:32 PM, Saebeas said:

Thugs, beasts, Necro are a few I've tried.

The secondary is just as important, if not moreso. Thugs, Bots, and Demons to a lesser extent have enough survivability to work with almost any secondary, but the rest don't, and will need to be paired with a secondary that plays to their strengths.

I made this Costume (inspired by an image I found on DeviantArt), I was considering doing a Mercs/Radiation MM with it (what else would work?!). Is Mercs/Rad viable or gimped? [is this how the game should be? Maybe there should be different functional variations of the same power themes?

cxbwpW2.jpg

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

• 2 weeks later
On 3/12/2020 at 10:36 AM, quixoteprog said:

I have on MM, bots/FF because I heard it was easiest. I second that it is pretty sturdy, and kind boring.

Any MM will be boring with FF/Sonic secondary, to be fair... I would get REALLY into Targeting/Attack macros/Pet Focusing if I were to play a MM with them as the secondary, as there just isn't a whole lot to do - but I know that level of micro can be pretty fun for some people, so that's where those fire and forget sets tend to shine.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:06 PM, seresibyl2 said:

Any MM will be boring with FF/Sonic secondary, to be fair... I would get REALLY into Targeting/Attack macros/Pet Focusing if I were to play a MM with them as the secondary, as there just isn't a whole lot to do - but I know that level of micro can be pretty fun for some people, so that's where those fire and forget sets tend to shine.

I have  a MM (beast)/FF combo that is a lot of fun to play.  I have the pack pick off enemies one at at time with a handy little macro:

/bind ` "$$petcom_all attack" 

This binds the command to the ` key ( left of the 1 key on the top row) on my keyboard which makes it easy to control them.  I typically only have to use a few direct damage skills for each.  Rinse, repeat.

I've found that concentrating attacks on one target at a time works really well to not only keep them alive, but it also concentrates the damage to a single target.  I also took some healing, which I can use to heal them up after the combat (and myself of course).   I wasn't really liking the build earlier on, but it's grown on me. 

Surviveability has not been an issue.

😎 Eric the Grey

• Like 1

Just to add to what is mentioned here, mob awareness is as always, critical. Unfortunately this often comes with experience and failure, but pin point the most damaging enemy mobs to your minions and isolate them with anything you can. Holds, debuffs, overwhelming damage etc. 

Enemies with lots of aoe and splash damage are particularly good at wiping out your henchman, so start with them first. 

• Like 1

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I will add if you could..

Learn the game mechanics assuming you don't. My signature has that info.

Try a Tankermind build for your first toon.  Traps anything will get you defense cap easy.  Time is also good but a bit more involved on getting that defense cap but its a great set as you can move around with it and has lots of heals. 

So Robot Traps, Thugs Trap, Mercs Trap.

Time anything because you can make it any color you want.