Why is Luminary referred to as a he?

Solarverse

And I quote: "In February of 1999, Luminary and his comrades in Hero Corps arrived here to arrest the villain, only to discover that the Freedom Phalanx was already on the trail."

Is this a typo or is there an actual reason they are calling Luminary a he?

There are two Luminaries.
The guy, and the feminine robot modelled after him in terms of powers.

I have to run to work, but this is based on my memory.  I think it's somewhere in the Wiki.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Luminary

Under Miscellaneous:  In spite of the fact that the first Luminary was a male (Kit Rafter), the description of the Bright Star exploration badge describes the first Luminary with a feminine pronoun.

Under Members:  https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Dawn_Patrol 

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

I have to run to work, but this is based on my memory.  I think it's somewhere in the Wiki.

Under Miscellaneous:  In spite of the fact that the first Luminary was a male (Kit Rafter), the description of the Bright Star exploration badge describes the first Luminary with a feminine pronoun.

I actually had no idea there was a first Luminary. Thanks for enlightening me.  🙂

9 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

So oddly enough, it says that Kit retired in 1995, I assume something brought him back out of retirement in 1999? I wish I had gotten into the lore a lot sooner.

16 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

So oddly enough, it says that Kit retired in 1995, I assume something brought him back out of retirement in 1999? I wish I had gotten into the lore a lot sooner.

The devs had a habit of writing whatever new lore they wanted, even if it went against their internal lore documents, as long as it didn't contradict what's already been told to the players. This meant the lore bible they wrote is terribly out of date and not very helpful, but that's okay because the players would never know... except for when they forget about something and end up creating contradictions like that.

Funny enough it ended up that some of the players were more knowledgeable about the lore than the devs themselves were, at the devs had joked that the people in charge of Paragonwiki could probably guess what story lines the devs were working on, by checking what pages the devs were looking at.

• Haha 2

Just now, Piyerus said:

The devs had a habit of writing whatever new lore they wanted, even if it went against their internal lore documents, as long as it didn't contradict what's already been told to the players. This meant the lore bible they wrote is terribly out of date and not very helpful, but that's okay because the players would never know... except for when they forget about something and end up creating contradictions like that.

Funny enough it ended up that some of the players were more knowledgeable about the lore than the devs themselves were, at the devs had joked that the people in charge of Paragonwiki could probably guess what story lines the devs were working on, by checking what pages the devs were looking at.

Well I think that sums it up pretty nicely, lol. Sad thing is, I am just now getting started and I already spotted the odd dates all because I was unaware that there were more then just 1 Luminary. How deep does this rabbit hole go?

alice-falling-down-rabbit-hole-2.jpg

1 hour ago, Piyerus said:

One of my favorites quotes from the OG days...  We were discussing the same class of lore problems on the forums and somebody said "here's how good our devs are - the game is less than five years old but the in-game universe is as mucked up and contradictory as a comic universe decades old".

• Haha 3

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

10 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

One of my favorites quotes from the OG days...  We were discussing the same class of lore problems on the forums and somebody said "here's how good our devs are - the game is less than five years old but the in-game universe is as mucked up and contradictory as a comic universe decades old".

I feel that makes it more authentic, right? 😋

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

Don't forget to look at the original Dark Astoria lore if you want a real headache of trying to sift through contradictions.

As I understand it, the Devs near Sunset resolved most of the conflicts in that lore by expressly stating that Astoria went "Dark" three times total, and was reclaimed between only to be lost again.

Well, I think it sums things up to say the Devs weren't any better at writing consistent backstory than they were at writing code.

• Like 1

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Well I think that sums it up pretty nicely, lol. Sad thing is, I am just now getting started and I already spotted the odd dates all because I was unaware that there were more then just 1 Luminary. How deep does this rabbit hole go?

alice-falling-down-rabbit-hole-2.jpg

It's a Nemesis plot.   So....we will let you know when you are near the bottom.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ArchVileTerror said:

I think a non-binary robot could be a fun character to have, if simply for the word play.

Sure works for me. If it were a movie, who would play Luminary? I vote for this guy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Daniels