Please don't make AE arcs unplayable for non-CharOpers?

The rumors about how soon all custom mobs are going to receive unreasonable buffs and up to double damage only get louder by the week (at my neck of the woods, at least), and now I can't help growing concerned.

Among the rumors I heard, one is that this whole predicament is just a side-effect of a move to streamline the way all mobs work under a single system... which would usually be something I can get behind and actually sounds necessary in the "Jenga on Fire" that is CoX' source code, just please consider the consequences?

Being Everlasting the "unofficial RP server," it goes without saying a considerable percentage of players in Everlasting don't have as main priority to grind their characters every day until turning them into unstoppable death machines. Also, I want to think a non-zero percentage of Everlasting uses AE for its intended, non-farming purpose. Let's please not turn that demographic away from AE.

Edited by WhiteNightingale

AE ARCS:

Most Dangerous Game (ongoing): 16058, 16059, 16060, 4363, 15230, 22386, 23645 * The God Machine (finished): 26365 * Family Reunion (finished): 18920 * Remnants (finished): 5405, 5408, 5411, 5597 * Ball and Chain (finished): 33690 * The Scroll of the Spirit Dragon (finished): 37070 * Prime Real Estate (finished):  43979 * Lord of War (finished):  49034 * Euthanatos (ongoing): 41945, 54307, 54312, 50727

... heck is a CharOper? Sounds like one of those newfangled Pokey-mons. Now git off my lawn! *waves cane.*

Also this just sounds like rumor to me. I can go through right *now* and make enemy groups that are a royal pain to fight, even without being "all bosses" (anyone want to fight a group that's 100% Time using?) I can also make mobs that are complete creampuffs.

Yeah. To my ear this sounds like a "Punish the farmers" rumor going around somewhere.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Not entirely a rumor, I'm afraid. 

There was some mention on the Beta section of the forum about altering the damage calculations for AE goons, and as-proposed it did pretty seriously increase the amount of damage higher "ranked" spawns (Bosses, EBs and AVs in particular-) would do.

It was discussed at some length in one of the now-locked Page 5 general discussion Focused Feedback threads. 

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

'Not always easy to find, though...

For example.. Here's the Beta Patch Notes thread where the change is mentioned:

But That's NOT the thread where we were talking about why the potential change was a Questionable Idea. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Thanks 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

... heck is a CharOper? Sounds like one of those newfangled Pokey-mons. Now git off my lawn! *waves cane.*

You never heard the line, "Get to the CharOper!" from Arnold Schwarzenegger?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

'Not always easy to find, though...

For example.. Here's the Beta Patch Notes thread where the change is mentioned:

But That's NOT the thread where we were talking about why the potential change was a Questionable Idea. 

Interesting.

edit: Found a thread where this is discussed a little bit:  

Edited by MunkiLord

On 3/28/2020 at 12:27 AM, WhiteNightingale said:

The rumors about how soon all custom mobs are going to receive unreasonable buffs and up to double damage only get louder by the week (at my neck of the woods, at least), and now I can't help growing concerned.

Among the rumors I heard, one is that this whole predicament is just a side-effect of a move to streamline the way all mobs work under a single system... which would usually be something I can get behind and actually sounds necessary in the "Jenga on Fire" that is CoX' source code, just please consider the consequences?

Being Everlasting the "unofficial RP server," it goes without saying a considerable percentage of players in Everlasting don't have as main priority to grind their characters every day until turning them into unstoppable death machines. Also, I want to think a non-zero percentage of Everlasting uses AE for its intended, non-farming purpose. Let's please not turn that demographic away from AE.

It will not be in this page coming out next. It will be ooked at in the future and at that time...will be beta tested/discused/modified/tested/discussed. 

FYI a lot of people use AE for non-farming...that is not something special that only happens on Everlasting. Difference is in the mindset of how characters are built - for RP purposes or for functionality purposes. Choices. 

16 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

Difference is in the mindset of how characters are built - for RP purposes or for functionality purposes. Choices. 

What makes you think RPers can't or don't build for functional characters? (Or at worst take advantage of dual builds?) 🙂

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Honestly, even with farming, I'm still generally opposed to arbitrarily ramping difficulty, especially if they aren't going to change EXP values for powers. I want to make custom NPCs at low levels who have the same number of attacks normal NPCs would have at those levels. Instead they end up being valued as giving out as little as 30% the EXP for a level 5 Lt. having one attack. This kind of thing honestly discourages me from trying to make AE arcs knowing if I want my players to get full rewards I can't really afford to stray from pre-made NPCs and and the powers my NPCs get made with will also be highly limited (why doesn't assault rifle have snipe even? There's no traps powerset even though NPCs in-game have been able to make use of it's powers, and the AE devices is gutted)

I personally dont care what happens with AVs on AE because if I'm soloing with my concept builds, I am NOT turning AVs on. I also dont care about slightly lower rewards while doing AE arcs for the story. If I cared for the reward, I would be running a farm instead.

It's not like difficulty has ever stopped me from enjoying a Vs Arachnos arc.