Remove brawl from ranged MM pets

It's a common issue that ranged mastermind pets like to run up to melee range to punch things instead of, you know, just sitting back and shooting them. I have a merc mastermind and it's insanely annoying watching my soldiers run up to a melee boss that i've locked down with an immobilize to slap him in the face. It also makes it really hard to keep them out of the range of AoE attacks, especially since they seem to disregard the stay command. I don't think that removing brawl would really cripple their damage potential that much, but it would be a nice boost in keeping them alive.

If memory serves ...

This was asked for A LOT when Paragon Studios was running the show.

They couldn't take Brawl out of Pets.

They tried.

Stuff broke.

Too much stuff broke.

And that's why ranged Pets still have Brawl.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I was too young to have paid attention to game updates, and news back then so I'll take your word for it. That's really unfortunate because it is super frustrating to deal with. I guess the next question would be, could a workaround be possible? Maybe tweak the cooldowns on ranged powers so that fully upgraded pets will ALWAYS have a ranged attack available. That or would it be possible to modify brawl for pets to have an insane end cost or something like that so that they couldn't use it?

I think it's safe to say that if the devs tried to fix it and couldn't, it can't be fixed.

Brutes should no longer lose stealth when they get in melee range of an enemy.

They've fixed some stuff that was in the Live game for way longer than was reasonable.

If memory serves ...

This was asked for A LOT when Paragon Studios was running the show.

They couldn't take Brawl out of Pets.

They tried.

Stuff broke.

Too much stuff broke.

And that's why ranged Pets still have Brawl.

I seem to recall they refused to do it because it would lower their dps significantly, not because they couldn't.

Personally I'm fine with a dps loss, just please for fuck's sake take their brawl away. If they acted like Hellions/Skulls Buckshot/Gunner mobs, I'd be overjoyed.

Solution: reroll as a /kin

That doesn't help anything. If anything it makes the problem worse because you have no real mitigation and your pets run into melee even faster than before.

Seriously, until an admin posts saying that it can't be done or breaks things, this is the suggestion I'm backing the hardest. It *needs* to happen. Ranged pets running into melee needs to stop.

That doesn't help anything. If anything it makes the problem worse because you have no real mitigation and your pets run into melee even faster than before.

Seriously, until an admin posts saying that it can't be done or breaks things, this is the suggestion I'm backing the hardest. It *needs* to happen. Ranged pets running into melee needs to stop.

They're just really, really eager to get in range of Fulcrum Shift.

They're just really, really eager to get in range of Fulcrum Shift.

That's not how Fulcrum Shift works. I mean, it is, but it also buffs in an area around the caster, so it would work just as well if they FUCKING STAYED PUT.

Also bump, back to the front page with this most important of suggestions!

That's not how Fulcrum Shift works. I mean, it is, but it also buffs in an area around the caster, so it would work just as well if they FUCKING STAYED PUT.

right so if you're in melee with your pets you get double fulcrum shift, it's pretty OP imo

right so if you're in melee with your pets you get double fulcrum shift, it's pretty OP imo

Great, then that's an advantage for melee pet sets, which need advantages since everyone feels they're strictly inferior to ranged pet sets (With the exception of Necro/ which is it's own special thing). Doesn't change the fact that /Kin is generally not the greatest secondary for MMs unless you intend to basically always team, as it has no particularly useful mitigation, certainly not enough to keep fragile MM pets alive.

Nor does it change the fact that it's *incredibly annoying* when pets like Mercs and Bots run into melee where they don't belong. I don't understand why you're arguing against this change, tbh.

Other than the oft-repeated but never cited argument that "it can't be done", I don't see any gameplay reason it shouldn't be done, if it can be done. And many reasons it should.

I don't understand why you're arguing against this change, tbh.

because i'm not

i'm just suggesting that if you're tired of pets running into melee, make pets running into melee a good thing instead of a bad thing by playing a /kin

I don't understand why you're arguing against this change, tbh.

because i'm not

i'm just suggesting that if you're tired of pets running into melee, make pets running into melee a good thing instead of a bad thing by playing a /kin

I've tried it, it doesn't work except possibly on the most durable of pet types. And even then you'd be better off with something like /Cold or /Thermal that can allow the pets to not instantly die when they reach melee.

I think it's safe to say that if the devs tried to fix it and couldn't, it can't be fixed.

Except for the time they said power customization (colors) would be too hard to do ...

I've been an app developer for longer than many of you have been alive and sometimes it's just that devs get locked into looking at things a certain way. Don't lose hope; some new kid might look at the code and go "Aha!"

Something of Note : If OP is still pre-level 32, the pets still don't have their full attack chain, once you hit that point and get the second upgrade ranged pets should run into melee far far less than they do without it, I don't recall it being a problem at all once my Merc MM hit level 32.

Except for the time they said power customization (colors) would be too hard to do ...

I've been an app developer for longer than many of you have been alive and sometimes it's just that devs get locked into looking at things a certain way. Don't lose hope; some new kid might look at the code and go "Aha!"

They never said it would be impossible, they only said that it would be a massive amount of work. That's a big difference from "we can't figure out how to get there from here."

I'm open to being surprised, however. But if it was as simple as removing the brawl attack from the pets, I'm sure the old team would've done that.

Something of Note : If OP is still pre-level 32, the pets still don't have their full attack chain, once you hit that point and get the second upgrade ranged pets should run into melee far far less than they do without it, I don't recall it being a problem at all once my Merc MM hit level 32.

Having to wait until 32 for your pets to stop being derps isn't acceptable, IMO.

They never said it would be impossible, they only said that it would be a massive amount of work. That's a big difference from "we can't figure out how to get there from here."

I'm open to being surprised, however. But if it was as simple as removing the brawl attack from the pets, I'm sure the old team would've done that.

I still recall the devs saying they didn't want to remove brawl from the pets in the old days, not that they couldn't or that it would be too hard.

I still recall the devs saying they didn't want to remove brawl from the pets in the old days, not that they couldn't or that it would be too hard.

That is how I remember it too, they probably just wanted pets to run up & get owned.