Increased Availability Of Merits

skoryy

Jimmy mentioned this over in General Discussion:

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

As mentioned earlier there's no solid plans right now, but on the subject of merits: It would be much more likely we increase the availability of merits in content that's currently lacking that extra layer of rewards, rather than increasing the value of merits themselves.

I'll start the discussion here: Merits for safeguard and mayhem missions.

On that note, perhaps something akin to a Vanguard Merit for taking down Malta, Carnies, Knives, and other less steamrolly mobs.  Hazard zone merits for taking down mobs there that don't con grey.  

• Like 2

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit

Please no more currencies!  One of the worst things on live was the addition of more and more different currencies interacting in confusing ways, as the devs desperately tried to control the economy.

Merits for completing mayhems and safeguards sounds better, but highly farmable.  Maybe one merit per run?  One per five runs?

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

4 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Please no more currencies!  One of the worst things on live was the addition of more and more different currencies interacting in confusing ways, as the devs desperately tried to control the economy.

Merits for completing mayhems and safeguards sounds better, but highly farmable.  Maybe one merit per run?  One per five runs?

Maybe just expand the Vanguard merit to include other mobs, with rates depending on challenge.

As far as mayhems and safeguards, it would depend on mission timing.  Higher level ones reward more since you need more radio missions.  Maybe six for beating the AV plus more if you complete side missions?

24 minutes ago, skoryy said:

As far as mayhems and safeguards, it would depend on mission timing.  Higher level ones reward more since you need more radio missions.  Maybe six for beating the AV plus more if you complete side missions?

There's now a way to run mayhems/safeguards via contacts unlocked with badges. without doing the papers/radios, so it would be possible to farm them really quickly.

Regeneratio delenda est!

1 minute ago, Grouchybeast said:

There's now a way to run mayhems/safeguards via contacts unlocked with badges. without doing the papers/radios, so it would be possible to farm them really quickly.

This is new to me.  Which badges are these?

2 hours ago, skoryy said:

This is new to me.  Which badges are these?

Hero Slayer on redside unlocks Lord Schweinzer in Port Oakes, while Villain Disruptor on blueside unlocks Agent Hassell in Steel Canyon.  You can take as many safegaurds and mayhems as you like from them.  The sole restriction is that you can only get missions that are your level or lower.

Regeneratio delenda est!

30 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

Hero Slayer on redside unlocks Lord Schweinzer in Port Oakes, while Villain Disruptor on blueside unlocks Agent Hassell in Steel Canyon.  You can take as many safegaurds and mayhems as you like from them.  The sole restriction is that you can only get missions that are your level or lower.

Well..if you have a friend or an alt account that has these badges, you can get those badges at level 1. Level doesn't matter if you're sidekicked. 

7 hours ago, golstat2003 said:

I'd be down for merits randomly dropping on regular mission completions. Say a 50% chance for 1 merit to drop.

That’s probably too generous.  Vanguard missions get ?1-3? Vanguard merits, so maybe a 5-10% chance?

I’d support 1-5 merits for completing a safeguard/mayhem mission that was achieved by radio/paper missions.  I think that would match up with the original intent that merit rewards are tied to average completion time.  But as mentioned you can get all the safeguard/mayhems you want directly and I think you could probably complete them in under a minute if you really tried?

Who run Bartertown?

12 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

That’s probably too generous.  Vanguard missions get ?1-3? Vanguard merits, so maybe a 5-10% chance?

I’d be curious what the merit payout of story arcs would be if you averaged it out per mission. Maybe half of that for a non-story arc mission would be reasonable?

As a related ballpark... 10 tip missions + 1 alignment mission is worth 40 merits. While you could grind for the tip missions, there’s also a base item that lets you pick specific missions for 1 merit each so you could theoretically farm the 11 missions for 40-11=29 merits per full run (likely more as you’ll earn some tips while running them) or 2.63 merits per mission.

By that standard 1 merit per mission (with that amount subtracted from the final award of the existing story arcs) wouldn’t be unreasonable.

Alternately, if we wanted to encourage tougher content, say each boss+ mob has a small chance to drop a merit with tougher mob types (ex. Carnie Master Illusionists) having a larger chance than easier ones (ex. Council Cor Leonis Archons). Particularly tough EBs/AVs might automatically drop 1 or more (ex. Silver Mantis).

It all depends on what you wish to incentivize.