What's the rule on full fledged rip offs of other IPs? Im seeing a lot of it

nhisso

More negative attention is bad. I would always suggest don't infringe, as that just adds fuel to the fire. Make something g original, and make it easier on the homecoming team.

Never understood this "don't infringe thing" ... when you were a kid and tied a red sheet around your shoulders to run around and pretend to fly, were you being your own original hero or did you want to be the Kryptonian hero you fell in love with?

Homages are a very, very good thing.  They keep the interest alive, and I personally do not begrudge anyone from wanting to play as their favorite character if that is what they want to do.

You can roll a claws/regen scrapper and name it whatever you like, you're still a ripoff of Wolverine or X-23. 

Let people have their own fun and you have yours.  Just my 2 inf.

I cant believe this argument is still going on.

Can you make copies?  Yes, the capability exists.

Should you make copies?  No.  But I don't think people should pick their noses either. 

If you think the name you want to use is questionable, then just don't use it.  If someone's costume or name really offends you, submit a report and let the people who actually have the ability to do something take care of it.  And then let it go.  No need to keep stressing or arguing about it on the forums.

If you do not face plant at least once a day; Go reset your Notoriety.

Rabbit season!

Duck season!

I think “Weapon Wolvie Loves Claws” would be a great homage name and a great rock band name

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

• And it no doubt cost NCSoft a ton of money to fight off the lawsuit, money that Homecoming doesn't have.  And that was all pre-Mouse, Disney is much more litigious and has even deeper pockets

This is very true and I agree here. But people need to keep in mind at time Marvel was a failing company desperate for revenue to keep the doors open, and that almost definitely played a huge factor in their decision to sue, quite possibly the biggest factor.

This is very true and I agree here. But people need to keep in mind at time Marvel was a failing company desperate for revenue to keep the doors open, and that almost definitely played a huge factor in their decision to sue, quite possibly the biggest factor.

I also believe it was filed out of necessity on the part of Marvel - they need to have documented evidence of "vigorously defending" their copyrights and trademarks, which is a component of trademark and intellectual property law.

ALL superhero characters are derivative of one another in some manner.  All of them.  Marvel and DC are notorious for copying one another.  Everyone seems to gloss over the fact that even after the lawsuit, people could still happily create all their Superman and Wolverine clones to their hearts content in the game.

Question I always ask is - how does someone having a Superman clone prevent you from playing and enjoying the game?  And no, the game isn't going to get shut down immediately if someone has one. 

Duck Season!

Rabbit Season!

Super Action of Steel would be a good homage and maybe a hard rock band?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I also believe it was filed out of necessity on the part of Marvel - they need to have documented evidence of "vigorously defending" their copyrights and trademarks, which is a component of trademark and intellectual property law.

One is not required to defend copyrights or risk losing them, that is only trademarks. One could argue whether or not it was really necessary in this case for their trademark claim, but no point in arguing that. But it's definitely not a part of copyright law.

• 3 months later
On 5/19/2019 at 9:36 AM, Guest The Adgramaine said:

Yes, but what happens to players who, like me, are the creators of said character? I said it earlier in another post but Jim Butcher had to jump through serious hoops just to play CoH as Harry Dresden. I have a whole hero team I'd like to roll up that is based on my ttrpg.

Though, granted, I am no Jim Butcher and my creations are nowhere near that popular. Still, how amenable are the current Devs and GMs to these situations?

And Jim Butcher played Harry Dresden on live (and got generic'd)

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

... NECROMANCY IS BAD, 'MMMKAY?

Seriously.  This is a thread from June.  It died in May.  Why did you exhume the corpse?!?

• Haha 2

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

2 minutes ago, Skyhawke said:

Seriously, why necro a topic when you can just make a totally new one in 3 weeks?  Pace yourself!

True, we need to slow that down a little. Really explore this dead horse.

large.beating_a_dead_horse.gif.21be637be

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

3 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

How can you tell if a horse is dead if you don't beat it?

... the maggots crawling in and out of all the extra holes, is usually a good indicator.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

16 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

... the maggots crawling in and out of all the extra holes, is usually a good indicator.

That's just poor grooming...

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.