Help me be better?

damnimgood

What a fantastic question! We should always strive to improve, in game and in real life. 

Unfortunately, "better" is relative to where you're at now. And we can't measure improvement without metrics. Some would tell you "just have fun"...and leave it at that. Fun is subjective. Your fun may bore me to tears, and vice-versa. 

So, first - what AT and powersets is the character that you want to improve? 

What factors are more important? 
Damage per second? (DPS)
Surivivability ( combination of layered defenses and resistances)
Leveling speed? 

Your powersets and AT, depending on what they are, will strongly influence the answers to the above question, and may also bring more questions. 

My best advice is to download MidsReborn. It needs an update last I checked, as it doesn't have the newer IOs that came out last patch. However, if you're not rich in influence (200m or more) then there will be a limit to how awesome you can make your character. 

So...how much influence do you have budgeting to spend on your build? 

But - suppose being kitted out with the better enhancements isn't part of improving your character? If not - we need to get some direction. 

Want to be a better badge hound? Download VidiotMaps and the new patch. 

Both Vidiot Maps and MidsReborn are found on this forum, under the tools & utilities section. 

Want to have the answer to 90% of your questions without using the help channel? Google search "Paragon Wiki" and bookmark it. You will probably use it every day. I know I do. Sometimes to answer a question for someone else, sometimes to determine what zone the next mission is in. It varies. 

Tell us what you're looking to improve - level, AT, powersets, and we can be more helpful. 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2020 at 4:19 PM, damnimgood said:

If I attach a picture of my characters powers,can someone tell me what I should do to maximize my awesomeness? lol. I have a respec, and I have a feeling I need some help with it.

Read the guides and posts in the forum subsection for your AT. Much good info there.

Download mids reborn and begin to play it, great builder.

I would suggest not power levelling. higher level doesn't equate to better. Yes you have more powers at your disposal, but they will be no good if you don't know how to use them. I sometimes take time off and duck into an AE farm with a Brute Farmer. this is because it's a controlled environment. there are mobs, he draws aggro, I'm free to test out my build with elements I can control. I usually do this when I'm not sure how a certain power should be used or how it fits in an attack chain. when I'm comfortable with the moves, then I take it on missions and story arcs or join teams.

Solo a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love playing in teams. but before you can contribute to the team, you have to familiarise yourself with what your toon can do. know your strengths and weaknesses/limitations. this will also give you an idea for your own play style. If you don't know your toon's potential, you won't be any good in teams.

Others' builds are just guides. To others (the ones that made them) they probably worked really well, hence the enthusiasm to share their builds. But they may not be for you. Use them as a start off point -- more of to understand why they did this and that. then craft your own build according to what you need/want. Sounds cryptic, but this mostly pertains to IOs and sets. I choose set bonuses to either add to what my character is good at and fill in what he's missing. on my more favourite toons, I have two builds, one for soloing and one for teaming.

That said, just have fun. nobody really minds if you're not dishing out x dps or have x smashing/lethal def. It's how you handle what you've got. If you enjoy your toon, then those you play with will enjoy being around you and you'll start building a reputation for yourself both per toon and global. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Six Six said:

Forgot to add: take part or even just lurk in the AT-Optin discussions or AT Build General in discord. You can pick up a lot of knowledge from other players who also want to improve.

This. There are always new tricks and ideas to learn from others.

• Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

As a new player,

Do the tutorial

Avoid DFB for your first few toons, each to level 30

Avoid AE

Run contact mission arcs

Team as much as possible, if you like it

Explore the options menu, you can customize the UI a ton, and there's options in there to set keybinds too.

Read the forums for your AT

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 3:05 AM, Greycat said:

I'd have to add that - unless you're PVPing - you're not in competition with anyone else. Perfectly fine to not be min/maxed within an inch of your life and try things out. 🙂

All of my level 50s have common IO based builds. Only my stalker has some ATOs as I was comfortable with getting those. What I'm saying is, I'm old enough to remember doing AV runs without IOs or Incarnates.

• Like 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

On 4/12/2020 at 11:04 PM, Six Six said:

Solo a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love playing in teams. but before you can contribute to the team, you have to familiarise yourself with what your toon can do. know your strengths and weaknesses/limitations. this will also give you an idea for your own play style. If you don't know your toon's potential, you won't be any good in teams.

I cannot stress enough how much I agree with and appreciate this wisdom. 
It's not to say you wouldn't be worthless on a team, but you'll have more confidence in what you can do and can't. Even if you're a "Support" character, you should still (eventually) have attacks that are slotted, even if they're in your secondary.