Necro/? Advice and Build Request -- Help Please! :)

Deadshot7

Late reply...

Force Redux has it right.  They will have at least 50% resistance to everything after you get IOs, not to mention your other Nature powers and Necro's debuffs and CC.  You can't just look at one single aspect of a power set, like Necro's lack lethal resistance, and think that they will perform poorly.  It'd be like someone looking at an Invulnerability Tanker's powers and writing it off because of the huge psionic defense/resistance hole.  Weaknesses can be overcome using good logic, playing to your strengths, and, now that IOs are a thing, plugging the hole with enhancements.

To answer your question regarding the absorb shield:  The base absorb value from Wild Bastion is 25% of the caster's HP, which is then given to friendly targets as an absorb shield.  Simply enhancing Wild Bastion to ED caps will take it to 50%.   I highly encourage you to get some HP bonuses and all the +HP accolades powers to further increase the absorb shield's strength. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 9:16 PM, Kommon said:

Simply enhancing Wild Bastion to ED caps will take it to 50%.   I highly encourage you to get some HP bonuses and all the +HP accolades powers to further increase the absorb shield's strength. 

What is ED cap? Is this just 3 slots of +Heal/Absorb enhancement (assuming nonset IOs or SOs)?

Interesting that upping your health makes it stronger. Thanks for sharing that tidbit. Does slotting +heal/absorb in the health pool count? I will look into accolades.

4 hours ago, Deadshot7 said:

What is ED cap? Is this just 3 slots of +Heal/Absorb enhancement (assuming nonset IOs or SOs)?

Interesting that upping your health makes it stronger. Thanks for sharing that tidbit. Does slotting +heal/absorb in the health pool count? I will look into accolades.

@Deadshot7

Here is the (historic) article explaining the enhancement diversification figures and diminishing returns: https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Diversification

Basically, it depends on the schedule of the enhancement. Heal is schedule “A.” Quoting from the article, “These bonus types will see a 10% reduction when the bonus is 70% or more, a 30% reduction at 90%, and an 85% reduction at 100% or greater. Specifically, if you put six even-level Single Origin enhancements in one power, they will enhance the power to the following degree: 33.33%, 33.33%, 28.33%, 4.99%, 4.99%, 4.99%.”

Edited by Nyghtmaire
Sorry for the formatting - posting from my phone.

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I was aware of the diminishing returns, which is why I mentioned 3 slots (because past that DR makes it pointless). I just didn't know it was associated with the term "Enhancement Diversification".  Now I do. Thanks. 🙂

• 3 months later

At some point in this very thread it was stated I had an appreciation for electrical affinity, particularly on MMs. At the time this was true, but I have since utterly relinquished that opinion.

While it is definitely MM friendly, the powerset itself has a plethora of problems, which I will address in the future.

2 hours ago, Monos King said:

At some point in this very thread it was stated I had an appreciation for electrical affinity, particularly on MMs. At the time this was true, but I have since utterly relinquished that opinion.

While it is definitely MM friendly, the powerset itself has a plethora of problems, which I will address in the future.

I didn't get mine out of the 20's, but I had rolled a Thugs/EA that seemed fun at first, but the more I started playing her, the more I didn't really like EA on the MM (especially after having made an elec/EA troller). Again, I know my experience is a bit nuanced since she didn't pass 30. I don't have an exact reasoning for why I didn't like it, but it was a combo of being unbelievably end heavy (and I say that having a demons/storm MM), and of the galvanic sentinel replacement being an AoE version of the T1 which just felt kind of redundant. Mostly it just quit being fun compared to the troller (which I know is subjective) and so she got scrapped.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Nobody mentioned this, but back on live my cousin played a Necro/storm to very good success. It's hard to quantify in numbers the syngery between the hurricane repelling foes while the zombies melee them. Steamy mist does a good job of protecting zombies to fire, one of the damage types that zombies are susceptible to. If the foes can't stand up they can't attack

Edited by Psylenz0511
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Psylenz0511 said:

Nobody mentioned this, but back on live my cousin played a Necro/storm to very good success. It's hard to quantify in numbers the syngery between the hurricane repelling foes while the zombies melee them. Steamy mist does a good job of protecting zombies to fire, one of the damage types that zombies are susceptible to. If the foes can't stand up they can't attack

I have a zombie/storm now and it is chaos. Hurricane, tornado, storm, and freezing rain.

Undead running around everything slotted for debuff and dmg.

My favorite mm so far.

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Note all I do is team in large groups, damn near 0% soloing

/Dark is really your safest option

Franken slot your pets to allow all def/res auras you can get in, hamis are a huge help.  note that set bonuses do not effect pets AND when catalysted out you are looking at +10% def to all, and 25% def to aoe, and 35% resist to most from those aura buff IOs alone.  stack that with many of the -tohit options from /dark and its solid

/Dark has this amazing ability to floor -tohit of many many many targets either by summoning a [Dark Servant] on an AV, or toggle pulling a group with [Darkest Night] or a -tohit slotted [Fearsome Stare]

Radiation has fairly small radiuses and heavily reliant on Infection, which you can get caught with your pants down from it recharging and fast moving groups

Force Fields are weak to high acc or auto hit stuff and your pets [Drain Life] why am i linking format and Aid Other, I retired my necro/ff awhile back

Sonic is also nice option, mostly melee pets for the -res toggle, being able to get your pets resists in the 70%~ish range to most.  heavy AoE situations might drive you crazy but makes your pets pretty tanky with auras/buffs

Thermal is another nice option, my pets are in the 50-60% resist to most range and healing helps.  Forge on the tier1s for stronger projectile vomits or switching to grave knights for single target

Traps meh, no synergy

Storm meh, no synergy.  If the devs ever make a -repel IO Storm may become top tier

Trick arrow 100% avoid due to no synergy and just being bad all around because no anchor.  if the devs ever changed the debuff arrows to ground powers like Disruption arrow, might change my mind.

Also do not quote me on this since the last time I tried this was like 12 years ago:  Your lit oil slick drives your pets insane.  May have gotten changed, may not but I dont even wanna firefarm a TA mastermind to back this up with current patches.

Pain/Time are ok options but waiting until level 28 for that game breaking power is disheartening for me as I run lots of lower level crap whenever I can.

Empathy is also meh.  If emps fort/clear mind ever becomes group based, sign me up.  but until then keeping fort on 4 of 6 pets is a turn off.

Poison is also meh due to small radius on debuffs and dark/radi trumps it in every way because if something dies in a dark/radi debuff aura, another enemy can take its place in the target que AND it will linger after the anchors death.  And ever since the poison traps nerfs I have nothing good to say about Poison at all for any AT.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, Monos King said:

Very interested in the considerations that changed your mind about EA.   Ping or PM whenever you find time to post about them.

As would I, though I can take a guess since I feel it's both Best and Worst on a Mastermind. Best in ability to be used to it's fullest because your primary is mostly henchmen and that's it; worst in that it has a lot of +Recharge that's useless to henchmen and +Special likewise other than Necro's Lich and Bots'/Thugs' Tier 2 henchmen.

For Necro though, I'm liking Nature best and it feels safest with the same type of things as Elec but much cheaper on endurance thanks to longer durations and gives you alot more chances to use Gloom or PPP attacks, though Kin is absolutely tied for fun in a team setting, buffing those high damage Knights and speeding them along. If only +recharge affected henchmen...

I've played Necro/Dark and Necro/Thermal. I like both, but I prefer the /Dark more.

Keep in mind that you'll also have to resummon Dark Servant every so often. I usually do before I go into another mob. You can slot the Cloud Senses proc in it to help with a little bit more damage. I actually slot 4 pieces of Cloud Senses in the Dark Servant, along with 2 pieces of Miracle (all of the Dark Servant's attacks will do -To Hit Debuff).This MM shines on teams as other players/tank tend to draw the aggro away. All the -To Hit Debuffs are super nice. I also use Howling Twilight (mass rez) to help stun mobs and put a damper on their regen. Overall, a nice fun effective build.

Necro/Thermal is also fun and can be effective,  especially on teams. Pets will still pump out some -To Hit Debuffs. While they will take damage, you can get their resists pretty high with your shields.  Whatever damage they take can usually be healed fairly quickly. It's a bit more "intense" to play because you're constantly watching your pets' health and your teammates' health. I've found at higher levels,  a lot of players have chased defense, so the added Resistance your shields bring is a great welcome.

I've not played Ninja/Cold,  but I do have a Thugs/Cold.  Easy to softcap your pets' Defense. It's almost like easy mode. I was able to take a few attacks from the primary and slotted a couple of Procs in them to pump up even more damage.

All in all, whether you go with /Dark or /Thermal,  you can build them to be fun and effective.  For me personally,  "fun" is all that matters.

• Like 1

@Hopestar I DMed the good Dr. as to why I feel that way, but I'll be reiterating in an easier to read format on the forums across two threads, one talking about why it is lackluster, and one giving a simple fix to cement it's identity and role (one of the issues with the power).

• Thanks 1