PSA: Hail of Bullets had a stealth bug fix

Bopper

Just an FYI for all those who play Dual Pistols.

Forever, Hail of Bullets had an oddity with its animation. It was long...beautiful, but long *insert "That's what she said" joke*. Despite that long animation, the power actually had a 0 second cast time, which was sort of amazing and unique. While the animation played out, the power was already recharging. This lent it to nice exploits like Force Feedback proc accelerating the recharge while the animation played out, and of course the obvious, the 105 second base cooldown was more like a 100 second base cooldown because you didn't have to wait for the animation to play out.

Well, that is no more. I was digging through Ruby Red's API and happened to notice the Cast Time for Hail of Bullets showed 4.17s, and I checked in game and sure enough it was now 4.17s. And as I cast Hail of Bullets, sure enough it did not start the recharge clock until the animation finished (actually, I think it starts it about a half second before the animation ends).

• Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Isn't the new cast time the actual bug? The 0-second cast time was intentional, because HoB is supposed to give you a defense buff for the duration of the power, both for flavor and so you don't die so easily while locked into the animation. The only way for the defense buff on self to actually apply while the power was still animating, though, was for the power to technically have 0 cast time because the defense buff wouldn't kick in until the power was finished.

Edited by Vanden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vanden said:

Isn't the new cast time the actual bug? The 0-second cast time was intentional, because HoB is supposed to give you a defense buff for the duration of the power, both for flavor and so you don't die so easily while locked into the animation. The only way for the defense buff on self to actually apply while the power was still animating, though, was for the power to technically have 0 cast time because the defense buff wouldn't kick in until the power was finished.

I can attest to watching stats while activating HoB, defense buff does not seem to kick in immediately.

6 hours ago, Vanden said:

I agree with you.  It's been broken not fixed.  Now the defense doesn't work until after the animation finishes, which makes the bonus seem pointless.  On the previous patch you received the defense bonus as soon as you click the power.

edit: just tested it and it looks like it works the same as before.  Defense buff applies at the beginning.  Still a weird fix

Edited by josh1622
  • Thanks 1