A possible way to do Speedster Melee

Ganked from one of my comments in the Power Recycling thread.  Posting it here too because there's a gaping hole in character themes, where we need a solid melee option for characters like the Flash.

Okay, rough draft, but I suck at thinking of new names for powers, so I reserve the right to slowly edit them in as I think of things:

SPEED COMBAT:  You are able to make use of your enhanced speed to deliver blows with the force of a wrecking ball.  All powers deal smashing damage.  This power set has an accuracy bonus, as the enemies seem to be moving in slow-motion to you.

T1:  "Rapid Strikes."  Flurry, taken from Super Speed.

T2:  "Vortex Draft."  A 1-second duration Whirlwind, take from Super Speed.  Causes knock-UP on all nearby enemies, in addition to smashing damage.

T3:  "Dashing Strikes."  Burst of Speed, taken from Martial Combat.

T4:  Chronos, taken from Temporal Manipulation, as the Build-Up clone.

T5:  Reaction Time, taken from Martial Combat.  I figure if Dark Melee can have a power that's just a debuff, we can do it here, too.  It just FITS thematically, and for that "I'm faster than all the baddies" feel.

T6:  Confront (obligatory)

T7:  Rending Flurry, taken from Savage Melee

T8:  "Supersonic Strike."  A weaponless version of Shield Charge, from Shield Defense, but targeting only ONE enemy, for extreme damage.

T9:  "1,000 Fists."  A toned-down version of the Vorpal Judgement, with some of the graphics animations removed, fewer targets hit, less damage, but a quicker activation.  May add some sort of "cloud" effect in the targeted area, as if all that can be seen is a blur of your character dashing around.

Other powers I considered throwing in were Ki Push from Martial Combat, and a weaponless version of Whirling Smash from Titan Weapons.

Thoughts?

Edited by Menelruin
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Menelruin said:

Thoughts?

The problem with speedster melee is it lacks universality 

Its tied to a certain concept.  Where other sets are supposed to be more concept neutral.  

I'm not opposed to it per se.  Just I can see why we haven't seen it yet, and probably will not.  

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

The problem with speedster melee is it lacks universality 

Its tied to a certain concept.  Where other sets are supposed to be more concept neutral.  

I'm not opposed to it per se.  Just I can see why we haven't seen it yet, and probably will not.  

I don't see how "hit really fast" isn't a universal concept. We already have "hit really hard" in super strength. Both of those can easily be made to work with any of the origins and countless character concepts.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thezanman said:

I don't see how "hit really fast" isn't a universal concept. We already have "hit really hard" in super strength. Both of those can easily be made to work with any of the origins and countless character concepts.

Hell, even TASKMASTER could arguably make use of most of it, other than Whirlwind....

Shop the name a little, I think, and the premise is sound enough otherwise.   Avoid the word "Speed," I think.  Especially avoid "Speedster."

Alacrity?

Celeris Melee?

Rapidity?

Hmm . . . tough job . . . 

EDIT:  WAIT!   It just hit me (ouch)!

Fleet Fists!

eh?  eeehhh?

Although, I will say that Melee has the MOST Sets right now, so . . . I'd like to see three to seven more Control Sets, and a few more Mastermind Sets too while I'm dreaming.

Edited by ImpousVileTerror
Came up with a potential name I liked.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Shop the name a little, I think, and the premise is sound enough otherwise.   Avoid the word "Speed," I think.  Especially avoid "Speedster."

Alacrity?

Celeris Melee?

Rapidity?

Fleet Fists!

eh?  eeehhh?

Although, I will say that Melee has the MOST Sets right now, so . . . I'd like to see three to seven more Control Sets, and a few more Mastermind Sets too while I'm dreaming.

I've been wanting some more "natural" control sets for a while.  The recycling powers thread had some cool ideas for a riot suppression rifle, with things like smoke bombs, etc.  Like I said though, this is just a gaping hole in character themes that needs to be filled IMO.

Edited by Menelruin

16 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Ganked from one of my comments in the Power Recycling thread.  Posting it here too because there's a gaping hole in character themes, where we need a solid melee option for characters like the Flash.

Okay, rough draft, but I suck at thinking of new names for powers, so I reserve the right to slowly edit them in as I think of things:

SPEED COMBAT:  You are able to make use of your enhanced speed to deliver blows with the force of a wrecking ball.  All powers deal smashing damage.  This power set has an accuracy bonus, as the enemies seem to be moving in slow-motion to you.

T2:  "Vortex Draft."  A 1-second duration Whirlwind, take from Super Speed.  Causes knock-UP on all nearby enemies, in addition to smashing damage.

T5:  Reaction Time, taken from Martial Combat.  I figure if Dark Melee can have a power that's just a debuff, we can do it here, too.  It just FITS thematically, and for that "I'm faster than all the baddies" feel.

T8:  "Supersonic Strike."  A weaponless version of Shield Charge, from Shield Defense, but targeting only ONE enemy, for extreme damage.

T9:  "1,000 Fists."  A toned-down version of the Vorpal Judgement, with some of the graphics animations removed, fewer targets hit, less damage, but a quicker activation.  May add some sort of "cloud" effect in the targeted area, as if all that can be seen is a blur of your character dashing around.

Other powers I considered throwing in were Ki Push from Martial Combat, and a weaponless version of Whirling Smash from Titan Weapons.

Thoughts?

I love it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Thoughts?

The t2 seems a little out of place with other t2s. I'd probably move that ability down and get rid of the t8 (the set already has Burst of Speed).

5 hours ago, Menelruin said:

some cool idiots 

I realize it's immature to fixate on autocorrect typos, but this brought me great joy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Replacement said:

The t2 seems a little out of place with other t2s. I'd probably move that ability down and get rid of the t8 (the set already has Burst of Speed).

I realize it's immature to fixate on autocorrect typos, but this brought me great joy.

Autocorrect has been the Bone of my existence lately.....

• Haha 2

@Replacement so move the T2 down to T8, any thoughts on a better T2?  Maybe Ki Push?  And should the new T8 be Whirlwind, or maybe just use a weaponless Whirling Strike?  Also, I stuck the T8 in there because mostly the set is AoE heavy (due to running around smacking a bunch of baddies at once), but I figured there should be ONE heavy-hitting ST attack.  Almost like an inverse of Energy Melee, where you have lots of ST attacks, but only one AoE.

Edited by Menelruin

17 hours ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Alacrity?

Celeris Melee?

Rapidity?

Fleet Fists!

eh?  eeehhh?

Well, we've already got "Kinetic Melee" which....if we're being technical, would be like 90% of the melee sets, wouldn't it?  Maybe Accelerated Melee?  Personally I think Speed Combat sounds about as good as Street Justice, but whatevs, so long as we fill in that concept gap for supersonic punching ^_^

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ImpousVileTerror said:

Supersonic Melee!

Make it do Smashing/Energy, and have a -Res component.

BAM! (Well done, @Menelruin)

While I'd love that, it might be too OP.  That's why I just went with a straight up accuracy bonus and smashing damage, to keep it straightforward.  TBH MECHANICALLY Savage Melee probably would fit a Speedster type well, in terms of rapid attacks, reducing endurance cost, etc.....but damnit, I don't wanna claw things apart, I wanna punch them 90 times in a second!

But yeah, @ImpousVileTerror, Supersonic Melee would be awesome!

Edited by Menelruin
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

I kind of like this idea.  Would be sweet to have a targeted AoE something like this (3:03 mark in the video if it does not post right)

That would be very cool!

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

On 5/31/2020 at 3:30 PM, Menelruin said:

I love this set idea...the Speedster needs some love in City of Heroes.

• Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting