Purples vs. Oranges

Hey, guys, I'm sure this is a repeat question but I'm just looking for some input, feedback and opinions and hoping to start a light discussion about different coloured sets. I'm currently running fully slotted with attuned oranges. I've never bothered with purple sets because early on when I joined Homecoming I was told that they really aren't worthwhile unless you're PvPing, which is something I don't do.

If you've got a moment and don't mind, would you please comment with your opinion on this?

Cheers;

-The Legendary Living Hellfire

"The newest person in the room is always the most important person in the room"

1. Purple sets have higher enhancement numbers then rare/orange pieces.

2. Purple sets have some of the highest +rech bonuses you can get next to upgraded ATOs

3. Purple damage procs hit HARD....100+ damage per proc and they proc often to boot.

4. Purples have nothing to do with pvp...they're pve sets.

5. Pvp IO sets weirdly show up as 'purple' rarity while in recipe form but become rare/orange after being crafted and have stats on par with a rare/orange grade piece from another set.

6. Purple/VR sets don't need to be attuned, they act like they're attuned already and will still provide their set bonus so long as you have access to the power its in while exempt. You can even boost them to +5 and retain the +5 modified bonus while exemp.

Really, purples are nice for adding more +rech, getting those sexy damage procs (arm chance for fire proc in any spammable aoe is nuts) or adding a pretty insane amount of fire and cold res if you need it. Not for everyone obviously, since they're expensive to get your hands on though 100 merits isn't hard to get honestly.

Edited by The Godchild
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Godchild said:

"6. Purple/VR sets don't need to be attuned, they act like they're attuned already and will still provide their set bonus so long as you have access to the power its in while exempt. You can even boost them to +5 and retain the +5 modified bonus while exemp."

So, this conflicts with information I've gotten that it's only the attuned sets that still provide the set bonuses when exemp'd down and I was told that if I'm someone who spends a lot of time exemp'd down to do lower level content that the attuned oranges are the way to go.

From what you're saying here, it sounds like your opinion is, pound for pound, that purples have the edge over even attuned oranges as a general thing and cost notwithstanding that given the choice purples are the way to go. 

EDIT - Also, assuming that's the case, you mentioned ATOs. Are they worth keeping were I to switch out my attuned oranges for purple sets?

Edited by Living_Hellfire

4 minutes ago, Living_Hellfire said:

So, this conflicts with information I've gotten that it's only the attuned sets that still provide the set bonuses when exemp'd down and I was told that if I'm someone who spends a lot of time exemp'd down to do lower level content that the attuned oranges are the way to go.

From what you're saying here, it sounds like your opinion is, pound for pound, that purples have the edge over even attuned oranges as a general thing and cost notwithstanding that given the choice purples are the way to go. 

Purples are only the way to go if they give you the set bonuses your build needs, ie if you are building for recharge, or the like. Yes the bonuses are higher, but if they don't fit with what you need that's kind of irrelevant. I have purple sets on some level 50s and none on others.

• Like 3

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

12 minutes ago, Living_Hellfire said:

Purples existed before attuned IO's were a thing, they were basically like the testing grounds for attuned IO's since they do the exact same thing without having to be attuned with a catalyst. You 'can' catalyze them but that's actually a really, REALLY bad plan since you can't boost them if they're properly attuned (just like attuned normal sets).

12 minutes ago, Living_Hellfire said:

Correct, they have better numbers and act like they're attuned already so that's win/win. The only IO type that gets close/better enhancement numbers are upgraded ATO's and winter IO's...sadly the original VR sets that were first released don't have the 'best' enhancement numbers, but they're still better overall even if end reduction tends to be lacking at times (legit that's the only drawback of VR sets, shitty end reduction :P)

Edited by The Godchild
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainLupis said:

Purples are only the way to go if they give you the set bonuses your build needs, ie if you are building for recharge, or the like. Yes the bonuses are higher, but if they don't fit with what you need that's kind of irrelevant. I have purple sets on some level 50s and none on others.

Okay, so I'm a fire/fire/flame blaster and my recharge is actually pretty good. Even without permahasten I always have *something* I can throw at a baddie, even at the bottom well of the attack chain. Assuming recharge isn't something I'm interested in maxing at this point, and given that the impression I've gotten from your post is that recharge is really the leading attraction for purples, are there other considerations I should be aware of before making the decision to either switch out to purple or not?

I mean, I get that it's hard for you to say without looking at my specific build and the numbers and whatever, and you also likely aren't aware that I'm built for efficiency but that I'm also in many ways a concept character, but any other input you have would be helpful.

5 minutes ago, Living_Hellfire said:

the impression I've gotten from your post is that recharge is really the leading attraction for purples, are there other considerations I should be aware of before making the decision to either switch out to purple or not?

That is the primary focus for most people, yes. The fire/cold res is something I'm rather fond of as well since those 6% bonuses add up hella fast when you have a bunch of them...a couple sets (ranged damage and....pet damage for some dumb reason) give a +4% damage bonus as well, most give recovery bonuses. If you're not hurting for rech though...I'd turn my attentions to like....winter IO's n'use those to get some ridiculous enhancement numbers....and more fire/cold res, lul

Edited by The Godchild
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Living_Hellfire said:

Okay, so I'm a fire/fire/flame blaster and my recharge is actually pretty good. Even without permahasten I always have *something* I can throw at a baddie, even at the bottom well of the attack chain. Assuming recharge isn't something I'm interested in maxing at this point, and given that the impression I've gotten from your post is that recharge is really the leading attraction for purples, are there other considerations I should be aware of before making the decision to either switch out to purple or not?

I mean, I get that it's hard for you to say without looking at my specific build and the numbers and whatever, and you also likely aren't aware that I'm built for efficiency but that I'm also in many ways a concept character, but any other input you have would be helpful.

Personally I start at the other end: what do I need? Am I lacking in defence, resist, recharge etc? Then look at what powers I have and what sets are available to get me where I want to go. Need more ranged defence? Slot single target ranged attacks with thunderstrikes, targetted AoEs with Artillery set. Need smash/lethal def? Kinetic combats if you have melee attacks. etc. Without knowing where your weaknesses are, or what you are trying to achieve it's hard to give more detail. But yes, if you are going for recharge the 10% the purples give isvery useful indeed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Living_Hellfire said:

EDIT - Also, assuming that's the case, you mentioned ATOs. Are they worth keeping were I to switch out my attuned oranges for purple sets?

It might partly depend on what ATOs are being used as well. ATO procs for scrappers and stalkers, as an example, are very good for them so I would be hard pressed to see those subbed out. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Okay... soooo... followup question. Let's assume for a moment, hypothetically that I have this *ahem* "friend" who already has some purple sets slotted but I already... I mean HE already attuned them. Is it worthwhile, assuming I can afford it (and I can because I'm The Legendary Living Hellfire), to replace them with fresh enhancements in order to bump them to +5?

Hello,

It is my understanding that both the attuned and non-attuned versions are pooled together in the market. This means that you can remove the attuned versions, sell them, and buy non-attuned versions without losing much more than the AH transaction fees.

Definitely switch them out for non-attuned and boost them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Living_Hellfire said:

Okay... soooo... followup question. Let's assume for a moment, hypothetically that I have this *ahem* "friend" who already has some purple sets slotted but I already... I mean HE already attuned them. Is it worthwhile, assuming I can afford it (and I can because I'm The Legendary Living Hellfire), to replace them with fresh enhancements in order to bump them to +5?

Generally I don't bother +5ing the whole set now (and there is no point, to the best of my knowldge, in +ing the proc anyway), what I tend to do is just + the one that has end red in it. That tends to be where the purple sets are weak, as they usually only have one IO that gives end red. If you absolutely have to squeeze every last iota of performance out of it then by all means unslot (or respec) to sell those ones and buy the level 50 versions and + them up. Other than looking at the numbers in the enh screen I really don't notice the difference in actual gameplay. But then I don't do pylon tests and things which might show up a few seconds difference if you do + them all.

So, the enhancement in each set that is the "Chance for <additional effect here>" cannot be boosted... I assume this is normal because it doesn't work on any of them in any of the sets I tried, so should I attune those or just leave them as is...

5 hours ago, Living_Hellfire said:

On the one hand, between the sunk cost of the catalyst and auction fees, you'd 'lose' about ~5M per attuned purple.  On the other hand, inf pretty much flies at you from every direction in-game, so what's a few million if the end result is a build that runs the way you actually want it to run?

• Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

4 hours ago, roleki said:

On the other hand, inf pretty much flies at you from every direction in-game, so what's a few million if the end result is a build that runs the way you actually want it to run?

Pretty much this...inf is plentiful if you're willing to work for it, merits are as well and those are by far the easiest way to just outright buy purple recipes from the merit vendor. 100 merits + about 2.2 million inf for comps = a vr piece ready n'waiting to slot.

On 6/8/2020 at 3:11 PM, Living_Hellfire said:

I was told that they really aren't worthwhile unless you're PvPing, which is something I don't do.

If you're going to play your toon after level 50, then of course you should upgrade to purple sets.  What else are you going to do with the influence you get?  They're absolutely better than oranges sets.

If you're not going to play your toon after level 50, then I could see saving your influence for a new toon.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 6/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, Living_Hellfire said:

I did this once.  You can't boost an attuned purple. The trick is, you have to unslot it and sell it.  Then use the money to buy an not-attuned purple or a recipe and boost the new one.   (You know.  I feel like I want to check that again in game because I'm still surprised... but I swear that happened to me.)

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

On 6/8/2020 at 4:37 PM, CaptainLupis said:

QFT.

When the set bonuses line up, absolutely, purples are worth it.

When they don't.... well.... you judgement call it.  Sometimes on a melee power I'm much happier with Touch of Death than Hecatomb, but it depends what I want to stack. 

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, MTeague said:

QFT.

When the set bonuses line up, absolutely, purples are worth it.

When they don't.... well.... you judgement call it.  Sometimes on a melee power I'm much happier with Touch of Death than Hecatomb, but it depends what I want to stack. 

Agreed.  Purples in CoH are not the same as "purples" in other MMOs.  They're not instant "I WIN!" buttons that you must grind your life away to obtain.  What matters more in CoH is your total build, not just a collection of purple gear.  Most of my builds have only one purple set in them, if at all, depending on what set bonuses are needed for that build.  I usually have much better results with the right orange sets, rather than with multiple purple sets.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Like 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

My unscientific impression is that most purple sets provide very similar bonuses.  Orange and even yellow sets, by contrast, tend to be more unique in the bonuses they give.  Purple sets are most useful to squishy characters that need to build for recharge over all. 

I seldom slot purples in my melee builds.  When I do, it tends to be an afterthought, when I've found and crafted several from the same set.  I slot a lot of under-50 enhancements; Kinetic Combat is a mainstay of my melee builds and it caps at 35.  That's good enough, though you'll need to frankenslot for more accuracy.  For squishies with holds, Basilisk's Gaze is a godsend.  It caps at 30.   Purples, of course, can't be slotted below 50, by which time I've usually decided which sets I'm going to chase.  So I just don't consider them. 

Whenever I consider slottng purples, my first thought is 'what would this compromise"?  And too often the answer is 'something I'd prefer to keep'. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291