Sign in to follow this  
ccrob00

Dark/??? Controller

Hey everyone!

Been wanting to try to make a dark controller for a long time. I've heard that it's pretty good and I am looking for something to pair it with. The three sets that I have gotten down to are /Dark, /Rad and /Electric Affinity.

All three of which would work with the concept that I am going for. Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

Dark is thematic, rad is out done, electric is good but it requires a lot of its own individual attention... 

I'd go with dark if I wanted to really enjoy the primary.

As a personal choice, I would go with Dark/Dark. I'm not feeling Rad Affinity these days, and Electrical Affinity is really awesome in concept, but not really my playstyle in practice. The Dark Controller secondary is absolutely fantastic, though, and one of my favorites.

As an alternative just for the heck of it, you might also like the /Time secondary. It plays nicely with Dark Control.

As far as Epic/Patron pools, I'm personally a fan of Fire (for added attacks) and Primal (for Power Boost). YMMV. 

Hope any of this helps, and that you enjoy the character!

Posted (edited)

Personally I'd go Dark/Dark. Had a Dark/Time but I ended up deleting it because it was way too clicky for my taste, wish we could have an auto-power per tray but apparently, according to a bunch of idiots, that'd make an army of bots flock to the game plus people would afk farm (as if they didn't do so now) and we'd be doomed  forever so we all need to give up on qol improvements for the peace of mind of a few.

Edited by Nightmarer
Typos, typos everywhere
  • Thanks 1

I just stripped a Dark/Time at 45 I was leveling. Not nearly as powerful (to me) as Dark/Dark. Still to this day my favorite toon is my Dark/Dark. 

Willie Wonka: Dk/Dk Troller. Natural Mystic: Dark/Nature Troller. Fabsolute Zero: Ice/Atomic Blaster. Quantum Cowboy: Kin/Rad Corruptor. Mr Green Dreams: Plant/Dark Troller. Grandmaster Flash: Rad/Bio Brute.  Dread Pirate Faraday: Elec/Dark Troller

All on Excelsior. 

On 6/17/2020 at 10:29 PM, ccrob00 said:

Hey everyone!

Been wanting to try to make a dark controller for a long time. I've heard that it's pretty good and I am looking for something to pair it with. The three sets that I have gotten down to are /Dark, /Rad and /Electric Affinity.

All three of which would work with the concept that I am going for. Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

I have Storm with mine.

Azrael.

My thoughts on each set:

• Dark Affinity. While this is a strong set and thematically appropriate, there's almost no synergy. Dark Affinity is an in-your-face set while Darkness Control is most definitely a stand-at-range set. Stacking -hit on top of -hit isn't really all that useful given that your Fearsome Stare will normally floor hit chances (with standard global defenses) anyway.
  • Radiation. While this has a decent array of abilities, I tend to view it as a bit 'archaic' from the standpoint of doing much the same things as other sets (just not as well). However, it's a basically solid set, albeit one that isn't going to help keep your Umbra Beast alive all that effectively (Umbra Beast is the bulk of Darkness Control's damage).
  • Electric Affinity. This is a decent set for pet-based builds, but it's also a low offense set. Pairing a low offense secondary with the weak offense of Darkness Control will probably be a bit frustrating. The bubble also isn't all that useful for Darkness Control since the Umbra Beast already has status protection and the extra resist could be gottten more effectively elsewhere.

@HjarkiWhat's your thought on pairing with /Cold.  No experience with Darkness Control and most of my Cold, at high level anyway, is as a defender but I've been intrigued by Dark/Cold.

27 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

@HjarkiWhat's your thought on pairing with /Cold.  No experience with Darkness Control and most of my Cold, at high level anyway, is as a defender but I've been intrigued by Dark/Cold.

I tend to think "why play /Cold when you could play /Storm?". The two power sets are very similar in many ways, but Storm brings a lot more damage. However, Cold does complement Dark relatively well. The shields will keep the Umbra Beast active while the debuffing will add a bit of damage.

• Thanks 1