Fade out the audio for Arctic Air (permanent wind blowing atm)

AxerJ

Hey all,

Controller - Ice Control - Arctic Air has a 'blowing air' audio. Cool. But it never ends. This is a toggle power that I keep on permanently, and we're hearing nonstop winds. Hurricane is not kept on permanently, so the audio is fine with that power. It's a great sound effect, it would just be so nice if the audio behaved like every other permanent toggle I've used and faded out after 5 or 6 seconds, or whatever it is.

Thank you very much!

Edited by AxerJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AxerJ said:

Hey all,

Controller - Ice Control - Arctic Air has a 'blowing air' audio. Cool. But it never ends. This is a toggle power that I keep on permanently, and we're hearing nonstop winds. Hurricane is not kept on permanently, so the audio is fine with that power. It's a great sound effect, it would just be so nice if the audio behaved like every other permanent toggle I've used and faded out after 5 or 6 seconds, or whatever it is.

Thank you very much!

You can edit sound files to achieve this I believe. Unless, I'm wrong, someone can feel free to correct me.

I'm not really going to be "for" things you can do yourself.

You can edit the files yourself. There is no longer a need for Devs to fade anything out. Not everybody wants them faded out and since you can change the sound to anything you like or silence them all together, Devs no longer need to do this.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, golstat2003 said:

hmmmm, I never noticed this. But now that you mention it, I remember some folks complaining about the CONSTANT howl of the umbra pet or dogs for that certain mm set. I forget which.

+1 for muting some repetitive sounds.

Mod is already set up for anyone who wants it.

Destination

Data\Sound\Ogg\Dog

This works for the Umbra Pet in Dark Control and anything else that utilizes these files. This mod lowers the volume of their howls by half.

Howling_Mod_Custom.zip

Edited by Solarverse

On 7/2/2020 at 9:15 AM, Replacement said:

+1.  This gets old fast and turns into things you stop logging into a character for.

I'm not really going to be "for" things that require casual players to edit game files just to enjoy their characters.

The problem is, it can be done instead of forcing it on every player in the game who loves the sound. I have already created a Mod for the Elec Field, and if I need to create one for this too I will. I would rather take teh time to create a mod to lower the volume of Arctic Air than see it changed for people who do not wish it to change. So give me a bit, I'll make the mod and post it here.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:52 AM, Zeraphia said:

You can edit sound files to achieve this I believe. Unless, I'm wrong, someone can feel free to correct me.

I'm not really going to be "for" things you can do yourself.

For me, it's great that people can make mod files and such. Even make them for download.

That said - though I don't even notice the sound, frankly - I'd be for this being done, or at least presented as an option, "naturally" in game. Not everyone wants to deal with it, be told to go to the forums, search an who knows what trying to find the file, etc, etc, etc. Heck, listen to in game chat - not everyone wants to deal with the forums. 

Yes, I could (if I wanted to) do this myself. Not everyone can or wants to mod their game, for any number of reasons. An in game option as a goal would be nice for them.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 minutes ago, Greycat said:

For me, it's great that people can make mod files and such. Even make them for download.

That said - though I don't even notice the sound, frankly - I'd be for this being done, or at least presented as an option, "naturally" in game. Not everyone wants to deal with it, be told to go to the forums, search an who knows what trying to find the file, etc, etc, etc. Heck, listen to in game chat - not everyone wants to deal with the forums. 

Yes, I could (if I wanted to) do this myself. Not everyone can or wants to mod their game, for any number of reasons. An in game option as a goal would be nice for them.

If it can be made an option, I am all for it. I just can't support a forced change on all the players. Options are great, forced changes tend to leave people sour.

.... I'm now picturing the sound effects for Arctic Air replaced with some smooth jazz with that filename, Solar. 🙂

(Edit: And yes, that's why I worded it very specifically that way - there are several effects some people find annoying that others like, so I'm all for *options.* )

Edited by Greycat
  • Haha 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 minutes ago, Greycat said:

.... I'm now picturing the sound effects for Arctic Air replaced with some smooth jazz with that filename, Solar. 🙂

It's actually pretty easy to do. Now that you know the file name (it's listed in the zip file) you can change any song, sound or the likes to a .ogg file, change the name of it to the listed file name, (in your case, cold_loop) and place it in the file destination in your CoH folder. You'll hear your custom sound that you have created. There's really nothing to it. Finding the name of the file is the hardest part. Creating custom SFX can be pretty difficult, but that is a totally different nightmare in itself.

Edited by Solarverse

6 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Now we just need @Solarverse to release a mod that makes Demons sound like a laughing/happy cute baby giggling every time they "howl" ... instead of actually howling ...

Only if I can make it a creepy baby giggling, maybe like the kid from Pet Cemetery?  😈

8 hours ago, AxerJ said:

Cool, thanks Solarverse!

Not a problem, AxerJ. If that is not enough, let me know and I can customize the volume for you. Or if you have a sound bite you would like to replace it with, just let me know, send me the sound bite or a link to it and I customize it for ya. I'm sure you'll be happy with that one though, the sound is pretty low but not so low to where you can't hear it at all. A lot easier on the ears.  🙂