Crashes, but only when in bases or PD, or AE.

Sovera

Namely, I can and -have- done 8 hour stints TFing like mad, in and out of missions, moving across maps, fighting with seven others plus dozens of mobs. Solid. Not one crash.

Then I enter Pocket D and sit down to RP and suddenly crash. Later on, crash again. Enter the AE, do RP, crash. Enter the AE again, continue RPing, crash. Enter a base, start RPing. Crash. Return, continue, crash.

So what have I extracted from this? Obviously RP is bad and satan is giving me signs I'm going to hell the fact I stay in one place for a certain length of time seems to do... something. Memory leak? I have no idea what.

I do have crash logs, and considering these are relatively recent I have quite a few to my name already

X4NU874.png

...yep.

Is uploading the latest crash(es) log(s) something that I can do here and someone, somehow, see what is happening? I would prefer doing this first before I engage in formats and re-installs of OS and Tequila and etc.

EDIT 7/19/20:  Yes, revalidate first.  Start Tequila --> Options --> Revalidate. 

I have had this take a little time or get hung up on that 'one file' and never finish.  However it is a good and potentially faster fix. 

I also recommend leave 32 bit client behind and go to 64 bit if you can.

I stand by my old COH general fix -  aka scorched earth

Find your directory where COH is installed on your computer for me it is D:\COH

delete COH install directory - it's ok, your characters, account and stuff is on a server on the internet

EDIT:  There is a screen shot subdirectory if you take pics while in game you may want to back up.

I don't know if you can uninstall or just delete the Tequila/installer - get rid of that too.   Mine is inside of the D:\COH folder and not another location

Empty the recycle bin

Reboot computer

Download a fresh new installer and let COH install again to a fresh install.

When people start getting into modifying .dll or messing with .net or other things I have no interest in that, but if it works for them - good for them!

Edited by duane

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

21 hours ago, duane said:

I stand by my old COH general fix -  aka scorched earth

Find your directory where COH is installed on your computer for me it is D:\COH

delete COH install directory - it's ok, your characters, account and stuff is on a server on the internet

EDIT:  There is a screen shot subdirectory if you take pics while in game you may want to back up.

I don't know if you can uninstall or just delete the Tequila/installer - get rid of that too.   Mine is inside of the D:\COH folder and not another location

Empty the recycle bin

Reboot computer

Download a fresh new installer and let COH install again to a fresh install.

When people start getting into modifying .dll or messing with .net or other things I have no interest in that, but if it works for them - good for them!

It's something to try alright, but I'd like to know what is causing it. Iv'e seen some of the older threads with people using the logs to uncover how X had an inverted or corrupted texture.

@Sovera,

I recently had an issue where zoning into Brickstown would crash.  Then I had toons "stuck" in there, as when I tried logging in to them, it'd immediately crash.

I went into the Tequila launcher and under Options, did a re-validate.  I saw it download stage2d, stage3d, and some tex-filething.  After that, no more crashing for Brickstown.

Maybe re-validate your files and see if that helps any?

Edited by r0y

15 hours ago, r0y said:

@Sovera,

I recently had an issue where zoning into Brickstown would crash.  Then I had toons "stuck" in there, as when I tried logging in to them, it'd immediately crash.

I went into the Tequila launcher and under Options, did a re-validate.  I saw it download stage2d, stage3d, and some tex-filething.  After that, no more crashing for Brickstown.

Maybe re-validate your files and see if that helps any?

I've done that in the past and it did not help (did it again to be sure but it just revalidated and did not download.

• 7 months later

This has started again. Unfortunately I received no help last time I posted here but I will try again.

So, this stopped happening after I re-installed Windows 10, re-installed CoH and did not add the mods I had installed. I mostly had no problems until recently where I did a fresh re-install of Windows and re-installed CoH, but this time added a bunch of mods such a sound replacers and Videot. I'm honestly leaning towards Videot being the source of the problem here but I sure would like to -know-.

Just like before I can play for hours coming in and out of missions and TFs and never once crash. Then I go to my base to RP or show it off and poof, crash. Relog, apologize, continue. Poof crash. Literally two minutes later.

I don't know if this is of any help but I'll leave the crash logs from the back to back crashes.

59 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I'm honestly leaning towards Videot being the source of the problem here but I sure would like to -know-.

Uninstall Vidiot maps and see if the crashes continue.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

8 minutes ago, Ura Hero said:

Here is an older post that sounds similar. YMMV

Yeah, I found it last night. I even replied to it.

It seems pretty similar to what I have (be still in a place for a while). Last night I did all the steps from disabling superfecth to NDU. I'll report on how it goes.

• City Council

@Sovera I deleted the attachments you posted. We have a copy of those anyway since they look to have been submitted through the crash reporter, and those memory dumps may contain account info that you really don't want to be posting on a public forum where anybody can download them.

I see a number of crash reports in the system submitted by you lately. They're from different and seemingly random places in the code that don't make a lot of sense if things are working normally, and looking at a couple of memory dumps points toward heap (memory) corruption of some kind.

I'm focusing on one in particular right now because it's a code path that I've seen several crashes submitted by different people encountering - it's in the code that draws the window borders. It seems that in that particular crash the hash table that tracks your option settings is being corrupted. I see in the last dump you uploaded, the first part of the options table has been overwritten by part of a chat message.

A couple of your other crashes are also related to chat message processing - specifically the parser that handles the pseudo-HTML sequences the game uses for formatting.

Based on that my current working assumption is that there's a buffer size calculation problem somewhere in the chat message parsing and it's causing chat to overwrite whatever happens to be in memory next to the buffer. So your first hunch wasn't far off and RP is actually corrupting the game...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Number Six said:

@Sovera I deleted the attachments you posted. We have a copy of those anyway since they look to have been submitted through the crash reporter, and those memory dumps may contain account info that you really don't want to be posting on a public forum where anybody can download them.

I see a number of crash reports in the system submitted by you lately. They're from different and seemingly random places in the code that don't make a lot of sense if things are working normally, and looking at a couple of memory dumps points toward heap (memory) corruption of some kind.

I'm focusing on one in particular right now because it's a code path that I've seen several crashes submitted by different people encountering - it's in the code that draws the window borders. It seems that in that particular crash the hash table that tracks your option settings is being corrupted. I see in the last dump you uploaded, the first part of the options table has been overwritten by part of a chat message.

A couple of your other crashes are also related to chat message processing - specifically the parser that handles the pseudo-HTML sequences the game uses for formatting.

Based on that my current working assumption is that there's a buffer size calculation problem somewhere in the chat message parsing and it's causing chat to overwrite whatever happens to be in memory next to the buffer. So your first hunch wasn't far off and RP is actually corrupting the game...

\o/

I thought about mentioning this but felt it might just be perceived bias, but AFKing for periods of time in a base or Pocket D did not seem to lead to crashes, but I have lost of the times they 'seemed' to happened while I was typing. Tap tap tap tap, suddenly crash. Tap tap, pres enter, start typing again, crash. Not to mention the time spent building a base and no crashes, but try to show it off and mid typing...

But I can't deny it might be that brain bias. I -have- typed for hours in a base or Pocket D and nothing happened. Regardless yesterday I was neck deep testing some builds so did not get to test the memory leak related changes since I was not in a single map for extended periods.

I am glad you have seemed to catch something screwy, Six. At least I don't feel as paranoid.

• City Council

Well, I thought it might be related to UTF-8 encoding/decoding since that's notoriously difficult to handle correctly and easy to miscalculate and overrun buffers if you're not careful, and because roleplayers might be somewhat more likely to use non-ASCII characters in chat.

I did find 3 bugs related to that but none of them appear to be the likely cause of this issue.

Is there anything else you can think of that you or people around you use a lot in chat that might not be used other places? Any "tricks" people use to do creative things with the formatter?

• Thanks 1

I multibox.

I often play two or three characters in a scene, so there could be something related to it there.  At least two of the garbled-text bugs I've experienced have happened while multiboxing, and pretty much every hard-crash I've suffered while roleplaying was while multiboxing.

Although, I've noticed that it's usually not my most prolific character in a scene which ends up suffering the crash or bug, but the midling one.  That always struck me as odd.  

On at least one occasion I had the same account crash twice on two separate instances of the client during a single roleplay scene as well.

Most of these crashes happen on extensively dense Base maps, such as Karma-508 on Everlasting (which I recommend that you check out, @Number Six, if only to see the stellar work which has gone in to that base!).

When sending messages which exceed the character limit, I denote the trailing with ... and the resumption with either:

/l ""...
or

;--- ...

depending on if its dialogue or emote.  But I do that frequently and don't have many issues.  

I double-space after periods and colons usually (occasionally triple-space because of habit or mistype). This happens very frequently.

And I make use of the no-break space (Alt+0160) in my character Descriptions since it take up fewer characters than hitting the space bar twice.  Although I rarely use it in chat, if ever.

I'm unsure if any of these may be contributing to the crashes/bugs.

• 2 weeks later
On 3/9/2021 at 2:50 AM, Number Six said:

I fear to say this behavior continues. I can get you the crash logs. It -seems- to still be related to chat as the crashes happen in PD after having done a max buffer chat emote, then start to type the follow up and the game crashes.

It seems you have explored all of the Computer/Software low hanging fruit, so Can you elaborate on your network connection?

Remember Latency is the biggest villain that can cause issues for CoX, but doesn't effect Streaming or Surfing as much.

Are you using your own Router or are you connected directly to your ISPs modem?

If using your own router, does the issue persist if you connect directly to the modem?

Are you connecting wirelessly?

If using a wireless connection, does the issue persist using a wired connection?

Can you Manually set your network connection properties to 10/100mbs instead of Auto or 1000mbs? This may help with Latency.

Just a little troubleshooting to get a better picture of where to look since there hasn't been a solution thus far.

Let us know.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 3/24/2021 at 10:07 AM, Marine X said:

It seems you have explored all of the Computer/Software low hanging fruit, so Can you elaborate on your network connection?

Remember Latency is the biggest villain that can cause issues for CoX, but doesn't effect Streaming or Surfing as much.

Are you using your own Router or are you connected directly to your ISPs modem?

If using your own router, does the issue persist if you connect directly to the modem?

Are you connecting wirelessly?

If using a wireless connection, does the issue persist using a wired connection?

Can you Manually set your network connection properties to 10/100mbs instead of Auto or 1000mbs? This may help with Latency.

Just a little troubleshooting to get a better picture of where to look since there hasn't been a solution thus far.

Let us know.

I don't have connection problems. I have a 1gig connection and do not use Wi-Fi. It really is something that only happens when standing in place for a while. And chatting. At the top of my mind I don't remember crashes in my long idling bouts in PD.

Someone like @Number Six can probably dissect the latest crash logs.

• 7 months later

After a while of things going somewhat fine it is 'starting' again. I put 'starting' with quotes because a look at my crash folder and it's not that few:

image.png.3d4b44c7d9fcea08fbdbdb6f3de2cdb3.png

Currently I'm at:

- No pending updates.

- No other game crashes. During my CoH time I've played SWTOR, WoW, PoE, Last Epoch, and currently New World. No crashing. CoH also is still in the same that I can TF for 8 hours and not crash once. I can also stand in the Pocket and not type while AFK and not crash. Then I start typing and it happens. Not, of course, not ALL the time. It just happens once in a while. But sometimes those once in a while are back to back. I am now posting this after crashing, restarting the game, crashing. Rebooting the computer, booting up CoH, crashing again. This is five minutes total. Hasn't crashed since.

- Keyboard was replaced since this started for unrelated reasons. Regardless it and the mice seem fine under the device manager:

image.png.fd95acb8a241e1a655ed839b2576da66.png

I tested with the windows memory diagnostic and no errors were shown.

Considering the keyboard was changed, the OS was re-installed, the disk was formatted, a -new- SDD was bought and is now in use, the game has been verified, deleted in the past with all traces erased and re-installed... I'm not sure what to say anymore. Am I to blame the RAM? It seems like the last thing.

If needed I can provide my most recent crash logs.

Deleted everything, re-installed. Already at

image.png.9bde7405cf08b22fe1b85fbcd64cba86.png

I could REALLY do with some help here. It's a new SSD. Game has been re-installed. What is happening? Do I need more RAM? I have 16 gigabytes of it.

HALP! Anyone?