need advice and/or template help

AboveTheChemist

I've started working my way down the enhancement sets page to verify set bonuses for set pages that already exist, and to create set pages (and the pages for each enhancement contained within) for sets that do not currently have a page. Most of the sets that lack pages are the Winter Origin (WO) and Archetype Origin (ATO) sets.

So far I've created the pages for the Blistering Cold and Superior Blistering Cold sets. Something I noticed with the Superior Blistering Cold set (and all the Superior versions of the WO and ATO sets that I looked at) is that the enhancement percentages for all the enhancements match the percentages for the very rare (purple) sets EXCEPT for enhancements that modify three aspects.

For example, Superior Blistering Cold: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge provides 26.1% enhancement to each aspect, whereas Hecatomb: Damage/Recharge/Accuracy provides 26.5% enhancement to each aspect.

The reason I bring this up is that the enhancement percentage tables that appear on each enhancement page are generated via a series of templates, and the templates were set up to handle the very rare enhancements. However, the temples do not appear to be able to handle the different percentages described above for the 3-aspect WO and ATO sets. My knowledge of templates is quite basic, but from what I can tell in looking at the templates used in these pages is that there doesn't appear to be a straightforward way to modify the templates to be able to handle the 3-aspect WOs and ATOs.

Lucikly, the tables are quite simple (2 columns and 4 rows) for the 3-aspect WOs and ATOs, so my quick and dirty workaround for those has been to scrap the templates and just create the table from scratch.

Before I started cranking through these with a purpose, I thought it might be worthwhile to bring this up to the larger group, in case anyone more knowledgeable about templates could shed any light on whether or not modifying the existing templates to handle these cases might be feasible. If not, no problem, it's easy enough for me to just create the table. But if anyone has any thoughts I am all ears.

Thanks!

ATC

Stupid question, but what do the templates look like? I'm assuming they're like equations that spit out charts.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

If you have a wiki account you can see the top level of one here (via the edit tab): https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Template:IOEffectTables

I would describe them more like nested if statements, but they do function somewhat like equations. I think there are about 4-5 different templates that feed into the one table that is seen on the enhancement page. Given the proper input, it will generate an appropraitely-formatted table.

@AboveTheChemist I think I've now done this. I've added the "special=" parameter to the Template:IOEffectTables. This required changing the special value at the bottom of this template to a {{{parameter}}}, with "purple" as the default option, so it won't mess up any existing uses. Then I added the values for super=26.1 to Template:IOEffect/A/3. So now, if you want the values for a Superior Super Pack enhancement with 3 effects, you simply add |special=super| to the IOEffectTables template. See an example of this on the Superior Blistering Cold: Accuracy/Damage/Recharge page now correctly reporting 26.1 across the table.

I don't know the ins and outs of how enhancements work on this level like you do, so if there are other values that are different in this manner for other level 50 minimum enhancements you can now just add a new value listing with a custom name to any of the templates listed on Template:IOEffect/doc. A Schedule appears to be the default, B is for To Hit Debuff, To Hit, Resist, Range and Defense values, C is for Interrupt and D is for Knockback, so some of these may need their equivalent |super= values added, even if they match the purple=values, it may be best to add the super value to all 16 of these templates anyway as they will likely not display correctly if the "special=super" parameter is used. I've also updated the IOEffectTables documentation to explain this parameter and the formatting for the other enhancement aspects to make it clearer for users.

If you think that "super" isn't a good descriptor of this special case, feel free to change it to something else! And if you see any issue with this implementation let me know.

Edit: Having looked back on this, I've just now realised the premise of this change is a bit faulty, since the Template is supposed to be about IOs, which these inherently aren't. Perhaps it might be worth making an ATOEffectTables and/or WOEffectTables or maybe SuOEffectTables to fit for both ATOs and WOs, attuned enhancements from Super Packs, however we would want to categorise them? In any case, this was a relatively simple change has had an extremely low impact on the existing templates, and we'd likely have to make a whole bunch more templates which I'm not too keen on, so I'm not too fussed about that. Just something to consider for the future, especially if more of these special case enhancements get added in the future. 

Edited by Aberrant
  • Thanks 1

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

Holy smokes that is amazing @Aberrant! My sincere thanks for looking into and fixing this.

I will go through all 16 of those templates and add the super value as you suggested. I think that is a consistent approach. Hopefully that will suffice without having to create a new set of templates just for the WO/ATOs but as you said, keep it in mind for the future if necessary.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

If you have a wiki account you can see the top level of one here (via the edit tab): https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Template:IOEffectTables

I would describe them more like nested if statements, but they do function somewhat like equations. I think there are about 4-5 different templates that feed into the one table that is seen on the enhancement page. Given the proper input, it will generate an appropraitely-formatted table.

Ah, haven't made it to that part of my List yet. :/

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

To follow up, I've added the 'super' values to the schedule A templates that enhance 1, 2, and 4 aspects. I checked all the schedule B, C, and D templates, but none of them list any purple values. I also looked over the enhancement set list and didn't see purple, WO, or ATO sets that enhance any aspects from schedule B, C, or D. I am going to leave the schedule B, C, and D templates as-is and if there are any purple, WO, or ATO sets added in the future that enhance those particular aspects then the templates can be adjusted then.

• Thanks 1