Streaming and NCSOFT deal ?

Wilky

Play classic Oregon trail, the old school one in 16 shades of green from Apple circa early 80s or mine sweeper.  Maybe chess simulator.  Classics, older than COH/V but just as entertaining.

• Confused 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

When they have news, they'll have news.

They're still talking with NCSoft. Assume no streaming 'til the discussions are done or nearly done, whenever that may be.

• Sad 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I'm sure the reservation of a Twitch account caused some confusion from the announcement yesterday.  But, I'm guessing it's just to have it in place in anticipation of the day when it does become agreeable to stream Homecoming content.  I would also guess that when that happens, it will be made very clear that is has happened, how it happened, what it means, and all encouragement for doing so will be provided!  Likely at that time, their FB feed, their YouTube channel, and their twitter account will be overloaded with new activity.  Plus, when all that happens, likely there will be more concerted, and active efforts to let the world know we are here.

So, stand by for now.  We have been given some reassurance that all of this is a likelihood for the foreseeable future.  We just don't want to jump the gun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

Honestly, I think the best bet is just to assume it won't happen, or it will be far in the future. 

That isn't to be negative, but just to avoid getting your expectations too high. We all know what Soon means....

I knew about the private servers a number of years ago and was laughed at (or yelled at) a number of times for suggesting they were real and that we would one day play on them. I did believe it would happen in time, but to avoid being too disappointed, I kept telling myself that it would take at least 10 years. The result was that I could put it out of my mind to a degree, and was pleasantly surprised when it came faster than that.

In terms of any sort of potential deals, I am again telling myself it will probably take at least 5 more years so that I don't need to worry about it for now. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My overall take on anything with Homecoming and NCSoft is the following;

Homecoming team is showing NCSoft that 

1. Players will pay to maintain the game service
    • They keep and show records of what it cost and then the overall income received  and what time frame. 
    • So they can say we only need 4k but are getting 10k in. Thus a profit.
  2. They will not do anything to ruin the quality of the game even if the engine is outdated as it is.
    • Thus no quick and dirty costume add ins. 
    • No mastermind customization unless it works extremely well.
  3. They will show that they can fix code that paid professional messed up with.
  4. Create new power sets that are valid and useful
  5. Create new IO sets that are valid and useful.

Further I know Homecoming team is also talking to other servers teams as well.  Helping them out where possible and exchanging ideas.. 

I think they are keeping track of player base as well.  Real accounts played..

I believe that this might open the door for the HC Team to spear head a new COH for NCSoft.. 
I am pretty sure HC team has their own ideas on a new engine as well to update the game and gaming and gaming technology has come a long way since COH started.

Currently there is no real Super Hero game out there.. The biggest competitor for COH at the time was Champions online and that fell apart. 
COH is rich with lore.. Many of the story lines and arch along with villains could be improved and expanded upon. Or just Redone since COH technically is no longer around. 

Costumes, Base options, Power set options  like  shooting an energy blast from a gun or shoulder cannon would be the Micro-transaction. 

Again I think this is just a whole big test. NCSoft says maintain a steady player base for 2 years or increase the player base for 2 years and we can talk.  

So this is why they are very tight on making sure they don't upset NCSoft. I get the legal ramifications. But I think its showing they can play ball and be team players.  

Edited by plainguy
  • Like 2

I have no idea why we don't just play quietly in the shadows under a rock not making waves.
I have no idea why we would want to stream anything, or in anyway draw attention.
Do the extreme minimum to guarantee we can continue to play the game we love.
Tell your friends, tell former players, whisper in alleys.
Lay low, have fun and for God's sake keep quiet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

I have no idea why we don't just play quietly in the shadows under a rock not making waves.
I have no idea why we would want to stream anything, or in anyway draw attention.
Do the extreme minimum to guarantee we can continue to play the game we love.
Tell your friends, tell former players, whisper in alleys.
Lay low, have fun and for God's sake keep quiet.

because CoX is a MMORPG, we need each others to have fun. It's not a sect.

the more the merrier !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Wilky said:

the more the merrier !

But screaming from the rooftops or doing anything that might monetize the IP, even accidentally, can end in the game going away forever.  So just play by the rules until further notice or else you could kill the fun for everyone.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wilky said:

the more the merrier !

Wilky to me Streaming screams to me of trying to make a profit from streaming games like many do..  
Don't get me wrong I wish as well I was of those people making 100k a year just streaming and getting sponsors.. 

But I can see NCSoft getting bent out of shape from someone making cash on something they are not..  Its greedy but that is the way corporate is.. 

Again I really do think there is a bigger picture here they are not telling.. Which again I get as well. 
This is big deal for the HC team.. regardless this is a GREAT resume addition for any type of IT work.. 

I just want in when they do. Because I was smart enough to figure it out out  😉

Edited by plainguy
  • Like 1

if you know how streaming is working (no offense), you would know that you can't make any profit with cox....+ it's a private server (very low population, status is 3k players max on sunday)

to make profit, you need to play a very popular game.

the question is "why" i would stream ? I just enjoy it, it makes gaming more entertaining, i won't advertise it, just in team to let players know they are LIVE.

to finish with the profit, i really don't want it, and even if it would happen 1 day (but it's not possible), i will give everything to homecoming team (they deserve it)

4 minutes ago, Wilky said:

if you know how streaming is working (no offense), you would know that you can't make any profit with cox....+ it's a private server (very low population, status is 3k players max on sunday)

to make profit, you need to play a very popular game.

the question is "why" i would stream ? I just enjoy it, it makes gaming more entertaining, i won't advertise it, just in team to let players know they are LIVE.

to finish with the profit, i really don't want it, and even if it would happen 1 day (but it's not possible), i will give everything to homecoming team (they deserve it)

We know how streaming works, but you are missing the point.  It's not about you making money from it, its about ANYONE making money from it.  If Twitch/Amazon or YouTube/Google or whoever collects a cent that is derived from the use of NCsoft's IP, that is a liability for Homecoming.  Now you've gone from fans playing a game at a (at best) net neutral for everyone to a mega corp having someone else's unlicensed IP streaming on their platform.

Anybody making a profit of any kind off of CoX is a bullet in the chamber for NCsoft to take out everything.  Even worse if you drag in players like Amazon and Google by using their platforms.  

8 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

We know how streaming works, but you are missing the point.  It's not about you making money from it, its about ANYONE making money from it.  If Twitch/Amazon or YouTube/Google or whoever collects a cent that is derived from the use of NCsoft's IP, that is a liability for Homecoming.  Now you've gone from fans playing a game at a (at best) net neutral for everyone to a mega corp having someone else's unlicensed IP streaming on their platform.

Anybody making a profit of any kind off of CoX is a bullet in the chamber for NCsoft to take out everything.  Even worse if you drag in players like Amazon and Google by using their platforms.  

do u really think that Amazon or Google care about cox ? lol. I hear you but it will never reach a cent, never, and you know i'm right.

2 minutes ago, Wilky said:

do u really think that Amazon or Google care about cox ? lol. I hear you but it will never reach a cent, never, and you know i'm right.

Ok, so it's clear you have no idea how intellectual property works, or how Youtube and Twitch are monetized.  

Please trust the adults in the room who are all telling you not to try streaming.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do the streams show ads? Do the services show ads? That's all that matters.

Regardless, answer is no for now.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

7 minutes ago, Wilky said:

No, that's not what they're saying.

Amazon owns Twitch. Twitch makes money both by ad revenue, and by viewers donating to their favorite streamers, which Twitch takes a portion of for income. If people stream City of Heroes on Twitch, Twitch makes money off of it by proxy. Twitch doesn't care about City of Heroes, but NCSoft clearly does, and unfortunately for the rest of us, making money, even inadvertantly, from someone else's property is considered theft, and is illegal.

Homecoming doesn't want to deal with NCSoft having any excuse to shut down the servers. So no, you're not allowed to stream.

EDIT: Furthermore, the constant droning of "can we get some news please??" is pointless. Legal talks almost always come with an NDA; a Non-Disclosure Agreement. An NDA is a legally-binding contract that forbids any of the involved parties from telling anybody about the talks in question. Even mentioning that you signed an NDA can be a violation of the NDA, and can get you in deep legal trouble. Stop asking for news. You're not going to get it, and as far as I'm concerned, no news is good news.

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Like 2

Global Handle: @Gibs

A guy with unpopular opinions.

and a youtube channel (i am on youtube)

i'm talking about fun and having fun, and you're talking about fear and paranoia. cox was a good game and i still love it. Now it's over, homecoming has reborned it for the good, not for profit.

4 minutes ago, GastlyGibus said:

No, that's not what they're saying.

Amazon owns Twitch. Twitch makes money both by ad revenuw, and by viewers donating to their favorite streamers, which Twitch takes a portion of for income. If people stream City of Heroes on Twitch, Twitch makes money off of it by proxy. Twitch doesn't care about City of Heroes, but NCSoft clearly does, and unfortunately for the rest of us, making money, even inadvertantly, from someone else's property is considered theft, and is illegal.

Homecoming doesn't want to deal with NCSoft having any excuse to shut down the servers. So no, you're not allowed to stream.

i know. it doesnt work that way on a small channel that nobody know (on youtube)

ok it's not allowed for now, i was asking how it's going. Now i know, but it's going on with fear and paranoia that i disagree totally.

i'm not the devil and it's not my fault if the fun can't be part of it, sadly.

Edited by Wilky

and a youtube channel (i am on youtube)

i'm talking about fun and having fun, and you're talking about fear and paranoia. cox was a good game and i still love it. Now it's over, homecoming has reborned it for the good, not for profit.

No, I'm not talking about fear and paranoia. I am talking about US Copyright and Intellectual Property laws, which you clearly do not seem to understand.

To put it as bluntly as I can: It is 100% illegal for Homecoming, or anybody at all, to make any profit whatsoever from this property.

This is not fear or paranoia. This is basic understanding of how copyright and intellectual property laws work. Homecoming does not own  City of Heroes. It is straight-up 100% illegal to make money off of this. Period. It's not paranoia, it's the law. No means no.

Edited by GastlyGibus
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GastlyGibus said:

No, I'm not talking about fear and paranoia. I am talking about US Copyright and Intellectual Property laws, which you clearly do not seem to understand.

To put it as bluntly as I can: It is 100% illegal for Homecoming, or anybody at all, to make any profit whatsoever from this property.

This is not fear or paranoia. This is basic understanding of how copyright and intellectual property laws work. It is straight-up 100% illegal to make money off of this. Period. There is no discussion to be had. No means no.

Ok. End, have a nice day.

i know. it doesnt work that way on a small channel that nobody know (on youtube)

ok it's not allowed for now, i was asking how it's going. Now i know, but it's going on with fear and paranoia that i disagree totally.

i'm not the devil

Yes it does. Any views you get on your channel at all will make money for Youtube. Even one single view will make them some tiny bit of pocket change.

That's making money off of NCSoft's property, which is illegal.

3 minutes ago, Wilky said:

Yes it does. 

Go to Youtube on a browser or app without any adblock software turned on, without a Youtube Premium login. 

Do you see an ad before the video plays?  

Do you see an ad banner below the video? 

Do you see suggested videos with the little yellow "This is a paid advertisement" label?

That's all paid for ads that would automatically get slapped on any video, including CoH content, which would make money for Google. 

Same for Twitch and their banner ads.  

• Thanks 1