Creating a "Virtueverse-like" site for Homecoming?

Archiviste

Following up on comments from this thread: 

1) Would there be any interest in a wiki-based site similar to Virtueverse (http://virtueverse.net) but starting fresh for Homecoming characters ?

I have dabbled with mediawiki installs and administration in the past (mostly as test sites before putting stuff up on Virtueverse), and I have a mostly dormant name (danmay.org) that could be used with the proper subdomain. I would not be adverse to recruiting other admins either.

2) If 1 is a go... what would be a good subdomain for it?  "Homecomingverse" is a bit of a mouthful. "RPWiki"? 

This is just me testing the waters, nothing has been initiated so far. Your comments will be more than welcome.

• Like 2

I'd say Eververse if that wasn't a game already.

Could use an in-game organization of sorts. Like how CO uses PRIMUS, we could try to find a way to incorporate it as a big database. FBSA, maybe. Or make up our own.

Hmn, hmn.

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

What about getting dev support here and having it right here on homecoming?   Wasn't there supposed to be an automatic tool getting worked on for exporting character data anyway?   Why not just have them expand a little on the scope and bundle both together.

9 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

Eververse

Though everlasting is the unofficial RP shard, rp of various degrees still happen in other shards, I would rather the name is not tied to a shard, or to coh in general (because of other private servers), but to HC

8 hours ago, Oginth said:

Though everlasting is the unofficial RP shard, rp of various degrees still happen in other shards, I would rather the name is not tied to a shard, or to coh in general (because of other private servers), but to HC

I concur; I wouldn't want a RPWiki (ok, that's my working title at the moment) to be exclusively for Everlasting.

18 hours ago, Patti said:

What about getting dev support here and having it right here on homecoming?   Wasn't there supposed to be an automatic tool getting worked on for exporting character data anyway?   Why not just have them expand a little on the scope and bundle both together.

I would be great to get dev support! The ideal set up would be to have the site on homecomingservers.com

... except I'm not a "big name" around here, instantly recognizable, nor was I on Live. They don't know me and I don't know any of them. 
If you do, feel free to point them to this thread.

I will also cross-post this on the Homecoming Discord and the City of Roleplay Discord, to get more comments.

I'm assuming that's a "we had one on live, we don't have one here."

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Of course, I just got my VirtueVerse account so I could post my characters there after seeing your character's bios in VirtueVerse, Archiviste.   I'd just been tossing stuff up on an unused site I had before.

I guess it would be better/easier to find active 'verse'er in homecoming.   Tagging only gets you so far.  

Would it need to be its own separate entity?   Introducing a wholly-new community site always requires sufficient "critical mass" to keep participation and engagement going, so some degree of partnering or promotion could help reach that threshold...

• Like 1

• City Council

Hello! I'm Mimiru, you may recognize me from such projects as "The Unofficial HCWiki", and.. well that's likely all you recognize me from currently :P   I decided I could throw another project up for Homecoming: The FBSA Wiki, it is VERY much a BRAND new install of MediaWiki and I've not had a chance to customize anything, but it's a thing https://fbsa.cityofheroes.dev/ Keep in mind I will be doing A LOT of work on this in the near future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

As for official Dev support, @Cipher was the one who posted https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/15710-online-character-build-browser/

If the sort of features that would allow Cipher's project to double as a roleplay hub could be implemented, then I also think that would be ideal.

What do you say, Cipher?  Would adding some image uploaded and wiki-style user-content submission systems be within the scope of your current project?   How might the community assist you in deploying those sorts of features?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mimiru said:

Hello! I'm Mimiru, you may recognize me from such projects as "The Unofficial HCWiki", and.. well that's likely all you recognize me from currently 😛  I decided I could throw another project up for Homecoming: The FBSA Wiki, it is VERY much a BRAND new install of MediaWiki and I've not had a chance to customize anything, but it's a thing https://fbsa.cityofheroes.dev/ Keep in mind I will be doing A LOT of work on this in the near future.

Well, that's a start!  All it needs is a fresh coat of paint (main page's log and design), some furnitures (categories and templates) and it would be ready for business!

I have some import files of templates and categories that I took from Virtueverse (don't need to be admin to do that: Main Page --> Special Pages --> Export Pages), I could PM them to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

As for official Dev support, @Cipher was the one who posted https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/15710-online-character-build-browser/

If the sort of features that would allow Cipher's project to double as a roleplay hub could be implemented, then I also think that would be ideal.

What do you say, Cipher?  Would adding some image uploaded and wiki-style user-content submission systems be within the scope of your current project?   How might the community assist you in deploying those sorts of features?

Personally, I would keep these two projects separate: one is like City of Data, the other is like Virtueverse

Especially if the "online character build browser" is not wiki-based (the most efficient and easiest to maintain way to have a "wiki-style user-content submission system" is, well, to install a wiki).

Edited by Archiviste

• City Council
On 8/22/2020 at 6:15 AM, Archiviste said:

Well, that's a start!  All it needs is a fresh coat of paint (main page's log and design), some furnitures (categories and templates) and it would be ready for business!

I have some import files of templates and categories that I took from Virtueverse (don't need to be admin to do that: Main Page --> Special Pages --> Export Pages), I could PM them to you.

Sure I could load up the templates if you have them.

• Like 2

• City Council

I've loaded those templates, still need to fix the images.  I had to run JUST as I started getting errors on the wiki, I've disabled DPL and Semantic Wiki for now, until I can dig in and find the issues.

• City Council

A heads up! I'm changing servers at the moment, so I've disabled my current websites so I can cleanly move everything over to my new server.  If you see suspended pages don't worry once DNS clears up everything will be live on a new machine.  Sorry for the inconvenience! 

Alright, looks like the dust has settled and the move should be complete!

Edited by Mimiru

12 hours ago, Corlagon said:

The wiki currently implies it is open to everybody on all Homecoming servers, not just roleplayers. Is that intentional?

Would probably be a good thing, not sure whether Ouroboros Portal will be around for much longer.

I'm not in charge (just a loudmouth...), but I would have no objection to that.

Edited by Archiviste
  • Like 1

• 2 months later

@Michiyo, is it feasible to allow external images?  

I'd like to use some animated gifs that I keep on other sites like Imgur, but since 

Due to technical limitations, thumbnails of high resolution GIF images such as this one will not be animated.

I can't really do that with anything uploaded to the wiki. 

Spoiler

Basically I'd like to recreate/improve what I have on Virtueverse for Glyphica: https://www.virtueverse.net/wiki/Glyphica. I understand if it can't be done for a technical or security reason, but I wanted to ask before I gave up on the dream. Thanks!