We lost a superhero today folks.....

JnEricsonx

I just saw this in the news. F'n Cancer. This makes me so sad.

• Like 2

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

Gutted by this news.

So talented, so humble, so Amazing!

• Like 2

ZERO MERIDIAN (AFFILIATED WITH THE HOUNDS OF L❤️VE) REUNION SERVE

ZM WATCHTOWER, Geosynchronous Low-Earth Orbit, Lat 51.476852 Long -0.000500,

enterbasefrompasscode ZEROMERIDIAN-1121 

ZM Watchtower is for all heroes at all times, all we ask is that you set your visual scale  /vis_scale 10

I'm still reeling from this. He was five years younger than me. If nothing else, this is making me go for a check now.

Such a sad and tragic loss to the world. He gave the impression that there was so much more amazing stuff to come from him and now it's gone. And to do soooo much whilst fighting it? And most of all, him visiting kids with cancer as well whilst keeping it to himself that he had it. Absolute legend.

RIP King, Wakanda Forever.

wakanda.jpg.5007fa552c9afebc92d6351fa07c29a6.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just look into this a little  bit more, the stuff he was doing and saying for the benefit of others whilst enduring it himself.

Absolute hero.

• Like 4

ZERO MERIDIAN (AFFILIATED WITH THE HOUNDS OF L❤️VE) REUNION SERVE

ZM WATCHTOWER, Geosynchronous Low-Earth Orbit, Lat 51.476852 Long -0.000500,

enterbasefrompasscode ZEROMERIDIAN-1121 

ZM Watchtower is for all heroes at all times, all we ask is that you set your visual scale  /vis_scale 10

What got me is he was diagnosed in 2016.  So he's been aware of this for quite some time...  I'm imagining all he did in the last 4 years while knowing he had cancer.  I mean, Black Panther came out in 2018.  

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 3

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

All we are guaranteed is today.

r.i.p. Chadwick Boseman

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lost my wife to cancer last year.

It is all about the suck.

So sorry to hear another superhero is gone.

Good to hear he kept inspiring folks to the end.

Requescat in Pacem, indeed.

Edited by DoctorDitko
reasons
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

9 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

What got me is he was diagnosed in 2016.  So he's been aware of this for quite some time...  I'm imagining all he did in the last 4 years while knowing he had cancer.  I mean, Black Panther came out in 2018.  

When I learned how long he'd been battling it, I was stunned.  Consider how many grueling hours he put into fight and other action sequences, both training and filming.  Sure, the mask allowed stunt men to double for him, but things like the fight scene at the waterfall required his effort.  

Chad was born and grew up in Anderson, SC not 30 miles from where I was born and grew up, close enough for me to consider him the "hometown hero".  He played basketball on a Youth Basketball of America team alongside future NFL player Shaun Ellis (NY Jets/NE Patriots).  He attended T.L. Hanna high school, which means he would have known T.L. Hanna's other legend, James Robert "Radio" Kennedy, who was a presence at the school for decades.  Radio's life story was made into the movie "Radio" (2003) starring Cuba Gooding, Jr. and Ed Harris.  Because of Chad's hometown, I'd had hopes of meeting him one day, and just comparing notes regarding our mutual "home turf".  Sadly, that will never be the case now.

• Like 7

The regional news, not surprisingly, has Chadwick front and center.  Among the topics the news discussed, was this gem from his life when "Black Panther" premiered:

AmStar Cinemas, the same theater Boseman rented out to allow for underprivileged Anderson area children to watch a free screening of Black Panther, says it is currently working on a plan to show old films featuring Boseman, and donate the admissions to charity.

What a great "pay it forward" gesture!  His hometown of Anderson is holding a tribute event this Thursday, and several have expressed an interest in placing a statue of him in the center of downtown.

• Like 3

That would be cool! Should he be in Black Panther costume, or is that too geeky?

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 8/31/2020 at 9:25 PM, DoctorDitko said:

That would be cool! Should he be in Black Panther costume, or is that too geeky?

Maybe a bit too geeky.  Like Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels as the Lone Ranger & Tonto, Chad may forever be associated with the Black Panther, true.  But though it may be his biggest box office and splashiest part,  he's also known for other inspirational roles, like playing the role of real-life inspiration Jackie Robinson in "42".   Perhaps a skilled sculptor can find the way to capture his acting wardrobes placed around his likeness.

That would be cool.

I was very disappointed when my city made a monument to Arthur Ashe that looks very much like he's threatening a bunch of kids with his tennis racket, presumably for scribbling in the book in his other hand. He was an educator, an athlete, and a scholar, but this statue incorporates all the elements without any harmony.

(This from a city with a -- usually -- deservedly famous art school.)

Let us hope CB gets a first-class statue. He's earned it!

He (and Jackie Robinson) will always be superheroes in my book.

Edited by DoctorDitko

13 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Let us hope CB gets a first-class statue. He's earned it!

Really sorry to hear the artist didn't deliver on the quality of the statue.  I always hate hearing that after a community invests so much into its creation.  I recall a story where a Lucille Ball statue was considered hideous and not representative of the actress at all.  Shame.

If this Chadwick Boseman statue becomes a reality, though we have a lot of great statues by various artists in the region, I'm kind of hoping they pick local artist, Doug Young, with whom I am acquainted.  You can see some of his regional sculptures on his web homepage linked below.  When Doug created the very popular Shoeless Joe Jackson statue for Joe's hometown, Doug invited the public to join him in physically carving the clay model that would be used, creating a very real connection for the public.  I think it would be great for the citizen of Anderson to have a similar participation in any statue of Boseman.

https://dougyoungstudios.com/