Building the "Trust Fund" Perma-Dom

oedipus_tex

It seems like at this stage of the game hitting level 30-ish is swift business, but the final 20 levels are the harder part. If you're like me you have a number of characters in this not-quite-end-game state. These toons are unlikely to become your "main" (tho they may) and you're looking for a modest investment instead of a billion inf build. What's funny tho is its only the super high end builds we ever talk about, despite most of our toons not being there. 

So, behold the "Trust Fund Perma Dom," the Dominator who plans to spend (hopefully not too much of) someone else's money.

This post defines a "trust fund" Dominator as:

• A character who is being "sponsored" by other characters have who have managed to acquire a stockpile of cash, generally in the range of 50-100 million influence
  • A character who is either not yet level 50 or is not "main" enough to consider for a more expensive build
  • A character who we want good, but not top end optimized performance. That is, a toon with good Return on Investment.

Assumptions

• Obtaining perma-Domination is our primary goal. Defense or damage procs are nice to have if we can grab them, but obtaining perma dom is the main task at hand.
  • The character is at or around level 35, so we don't get to consider many APP powers yet
  • The character will rely on the hero base +20 Recharge buff to close the perma Dom gap, so we only need to hit around +75% Recharge before Hasten
  • These are just my personal recommendations; other players may feel differently or have better advice

Onto the build!

General Philosophy

In our pursuit of permadom, we still want a viable character. So we will resort to what I call the "Lagniappe method" of selecting powers. Lagniappe is a Louisiana-French word meaning something extra. We grab something extra here and there. 

• If you can select an important power this level, take it
  • The first time there is no important power, choose Hasten (always, no exceptions. there's a whole essay here I could write, but Hasten is the best power available to trust fund Dominators other than their actual controls)
  • The second, third, fourth and fifth times, select a +Defense power (see LoTG rider powers below)

Luck of the Gambler Rider Powers 

Luck of the Gambler +7.5% Recharge plays a huge roll in this build. You can slot it up to 5 times. 

• Hasten  - always take this first
  • Combat Jumping 
  • Maneuvers 
  • Hover
  • Stealth
  • Grant Invis

RE: Punch/Tough/Weave. This isn't for you. This eats up too many slots and your build isn't advanced enough to really benefit. If you decide to rebuild for late game, that's the time to consider these powers.

Standard Slotting formula

Arrange your slot picks so you end up with the following configuration. Most Dominators get some form of these powers.

• Single target Hold: 4 slots (Basilisk's Gaze)
  • AoE Hold: 4 slots (Basilisk's Gaze)
  • Pet: 4 slots (Expedient Reinforcement)
  • Snipe: 5 slots (Sting of the Manticore)

Attack slotting

The key to any attack (other than single target melee attacks) is 5 slots. Try to hit 5 slots in at least a couple of single target ranged attacks, aoe attacks, or pbaoe attacks. You probably only have to do it with 1 or 2.

• Single target ranged: 5 slot Decimation
  • PBAoE: 5 slot Obliteration
  • Ranged AoE: 5 slot Positron's Blast

Other powers

Some mezz powers have dirt cheap IOs available.

• If you have a Confuse power: 5 slot Malaise's Illusions
  • If you have a -ToHit power: 4 slot for Cloud Senses (if you need Accuracy) or 4 slot for Dark Watcher's Despair 
  • If you have a Stun power:  5 slot Stupefy
  • If you have Bonfire/Earthquake: 1 slot Force Feedback Chance for +100% recharge

Gotchas

The main gotcha is you can only slot a particular bonus 5 times before it stops stacking. Mainly, this is an issue with the +6.25% bonus that appears on many sets. 

Example Build

Here is one possible example I threw together. This build requires 4 LoTGs, 2 Basilisk Gazes. 

(The blank powers aren't truly "blank," they just arent filled in order to make what needed to be done for permadom more obvious).

image.thumb.png.3d58468e5f1e424fdbec342fe282a121.png

Closing the Gap

For the final bit of recharge, visit a buff station in a hero base. Build any of the Increase Attack Speed buffs to gain +20 Recharge for 1 hour 30min.

image.thumb.png.2eafda4c19dc8a9d76bb7902c402af88.png

Wrapping Up/FAQ

Am I really permadom after this?

Yes, but only while the base buff lasts. Check on it every so often.

How viable is this build versus a much more expensive end game build?

Depends. But for any Dominator, going permadom is likely to significantly improve your character.

How much does this cost?

Much, much less than a true end game build, but still not cheap. The LoTGs are the most expensive individual pieces at around 6 mill each. The attack sets usually run around 2-3 million per piece. 

If I decide to upgrade this build to an end game build, which pieces carry over to the more expensive build?

Good question. In general, not too much really needs to be replaced. Here's a rundown.

Usually carried over:

• Luck of the Gambler almost always carries over. You would have to invest in these no matter what build you are making.
  • Basilisk's Gaze is normally carried over.
  • Sting of the Manticore (Snipe) is normally carried over.
  • Expedient Reinforcement (pets) is normally carried over.
  • Obliteration (PBAoE attack) is often carried over, depending on build needs.

Usually not carried over:

• Cheap-o mezz sets like Malaise's Illusions or Stupefy. They can be directly replaced by better purples or ATOs. This is why they are so cheap to begin with.
  • Some sets have a direct purple replacement
    • Decimation is usually replaced by Apocalypse (but only once per build)
    • Ragnorak often replaces Positron's Blast (but only once per build)
    • In some builds, Armageddon or Superior Avalanche replaces Obliteration

So why do top end builds cost so much more?

When you start to approach the top end builds, they cost more because they incorporate defense and procs. Melee S/L Defense in particular is expensive. 

Here's an overview of the modifications:

• Incorporation of +3% global def procs
  • Incorporation of Winter's Gift sets (not used by trust funders)
  • Superior Ascendancy of the Dominator usually replaces a cheap-o mezz set
  • Resist powers may be slotted with x4 Unbreakable Guard, which provides S/L and Melee defense
  • Adding a 6th slot to Obliteration, if it is kept in the build

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here is a link to the sample build above in Mids in case you want to play with it:

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 49 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Dark Assault
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Flight

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Char -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 1: Dark Blast -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Smite -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Gloom -- Dcm-Build%(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(7), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(7), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(9)
Level 6: Fire Cages -- Empty(A)
Level 8: Hot Feet -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(13)
Level 12: Flashfire -- Stp-Acc/Stun/Rchg(A), Stp-Stun/Rng(13), Stp-Acc/EndRdx(15), Stp-EndRdx/Stun(15), Stp-Acc/Rchg(17)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Gather Shadows -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Cinders -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(19), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(19), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(25)
Level 20: Engulfing Darkness -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(23), Obl-Acc/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Bonfire -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 28: Life Drain -- Empty(A)
Level 30: Smoke -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/Rchg(31), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(31), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(31)
Level 32: Fire Imps -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33)
Level 35: Moon Beam -- StnoftheM-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(36), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(36), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(37)
Level 38: [Empty] 
Level 41: [Empty] 
Level 44: [Empty] 
Level 47: [Empty] 
Level 49: [Empty] 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)
------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:

• 9% DamageBuff(Smashing)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Lethal)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Fire)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Cold)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Energy)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Negative)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Toxic)
  • 9% DamageBuff(Psionic)
  • 6.25% Defense(Energy)
  • 6.25% Defense(Negative)
  • 5% Defense(Ranged)
  • 2.25% Max End
  • 73.75% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  • 3% Enhancement(Stunned)
  • 9% Enhancement(Accuracy)
  • 45.78 HP (4.5%) HitPoints
  • MezResist(Confused) 8.75%
  • MezResist(Held) 8.75%
  • MezResist(Immobilized) 8.75%
  • MezResist(Sleep) 8.75%
  • MezResist(Stunned) 8.75%
  • MezResist(Terrorized) 8.75%
  • 9% (0.15 End/sec) Recovery
  • 12% (0.51 HP/sec) Regeneration
  • 2.25% Resistance(Smashing)
  • 2.25% Resistance(Lethal)
  • 3% Resistance(Energy)
  • 3% Resistance(Negative)

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1073;481;962;HEX;|
|78DA7592EB4A02511080CFEA5A99965999459961770329EA7F44563F4A107A00596|
|CB143E6CAEE06F5AB1BBD43B767E86797B7E8DE53748F2E506DE3CE68D2A183CBB7|
|E73B7366C66113CB71EFC1D4FA28937CE359C53052716D91E71453D35D0925C3D34|
|E06AB129EF6D2416A5CCB99BA968D4D725D2D6ECA8EC70C4359CA9AB1B8A22F1437|
|AC3AA9C18DD9BCAACE79EDD71955C9F35CC657DCCCA9BA31CFF31E7B3F99E599793|
|33C91E7E958D2E05A8EA75309C530557D051BCC142A35435B3DF074DA4D1696E564|
|970EC64232735C11AF91F20DF229588A851F2CF60C462223D9E6050CA6B464E73EA|
|017EEEF212B76893BC8AA6D64175C705116979DA5C789832B984ADB4460EB4623B9|
|07004332F3127B21DA43353D9B129E6D206BD7896BC8BA556413E4ABA10A350174A|
|FD0BB8F9CCFAEDA0799FD341D3F4DA79EA6534FD369A6E9BCC1ED06EAA2A13003C8|
|D8683990DFC8A62FE227D20F5D04A86280BA70830B920B92EB87742DE45AB6F0EE3|
|B04B5926BB5BBED86A810751B3AC4A8F623E231F1041985D830C5869FD1753C111F|
|890FC80FA814A17F16B9C499775E10CF8967C8AE53A4F5DF6A93FF7E44915F634D4|
|77FDFA342E4A0608604332C9811C1CC082629FFFD90DD75A50FD9BAAD8653A9FCF4|
|5E3077827910CC0F1898FF66|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Slight additional tip to a great guide: P2W Offense Amplifier will give you +15% recharge, and you can buy 8 hours worth at a time.

I always grab 8 hours of all 3 amplifiers on a new alt. Only costs 24k inf, 1k inf per hour, when you're level 1. And leveling speeds being what they are on Homecoming, this can carry you to lvl 25-30 easily.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If anyone is wondering what the build looks like in game I have an example in the rerolled Oedipus Tex toon himself, currently level 47. He is an Earth/Savage Dom as of his latest reincarnation.

Ideally you'd actually fill the slot gaps with something rather than leave them blank. But this build is still pretty solid.

(You'll notice I broke my own rule about Punch/Tough/Weave here.)

image.thumb.png.5409d06eaf84b2402f3061e5c071ef9f.png

Recharge bonus below with Hasten but without base bonus.

image.thumb.png.33f991270e18f2d5e9b55cea72094273.png

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

you can only slot a particular bonus 5 times before it stops stacking.

Do you happen to know if you slot 5x LOTG +7.5% rch, would that fill the 7.5 rch quota from bonuses too? (5x Sting of Manticore for example).

it's part of an enhancement and not technically a set bonus, but it does show up in the list with set bonuses.

7 minutes ago, xl8 said:

Do you happen to know if you slot 5x LOTG +7.5% rch, would that fill the 7.5 rch quota from bonuses too? (5x Sting of Manticore for example).

it's part of an enhancement and not technically a set bonus, but it does show up in the list with set bonuses.

Luck of the Gambler provides a special Recharge bonus called Luck of the Gambler Recharge Speed. It's separate from the+7.5% bonus in Sting of the Manticore and Basilisk's Gaze.

Here's an example in a Set Bonus readout showing how the bonuses are seperated.

image.png.2b4e7c4b03d259bdb8a9898d89b0ab63.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Luck of the Gambler provides a special Recharge bonus called Luck of the Gambler Recharge Speed. It's separate from the+7.5% bonus in Sting of the Manticore and Basilisk's Gaze.

Oh hey, that's good to know. I did not realize that.

Excellent guide, both to early permadom and just where to get recharge bonuses "cheaply". 

And like you said quite a few of these sets carry on into endgame builds even if youre going full on Purpled out crazy build (which I never do, I love using sets like these in my endgame builds)

• Like 2

Great breakdown, @oedipus_tex. This is a real resource for anyone looking to break into Doms and not kill their influence or feel like they need to overcommit to a build. Yes, still pricey but not exorbitantly so. Also, having a path to mid-level permadom allows a player to experience the playstyle well before level 50. Great stuff!

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

23 minutes ago, Nyghtmaire said:

@Carnifax I’m ashamed to admit that I always misread your name as “Carnifex.”

B0E73FF2-37D5-482A-95CF-A43936DA820E.jpeg

It definitely wasn't that when I chose it randomly when faced with a "enter your character name" screen all those years ago, honest 😈

Actually it turned out that my subconscious must have merged this and a rather obscure character from Sandman #8, Worlds End. 

Neither source was deliberate but I bet thats where my brain got it from.

Edited by Carnifax
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Neither source was deliberate but I bet thats where my brain got it from.

Happy accidents are the best accidents!

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Just did this with my mind/psi dom. Set him up at 35, where he had been languishing, just finished Black Scorpion's patron arc and he's at 38 now. Hasten has a 10 second cool down, so not quite perma, but getting there. 

The difference is pretty remarkable. Solo I can keep groups confused/held continuously. The only thing that gets me soloing missions is getting stunned, so just need to make sure I have a supply of break frees for that.

• Like 2

• 2 months later

I tried this on my Dark/Savage Dom today. With the Recharge bonus from my Base and paying for Offense Amplifier, I got perma-dom at level 25. The key bonuses are...

* LOTG in Stealth, Grant Invis, Manuevers, and Combat Jumping

* 4-slot Basilisk's Gaze in my ST hold

* 5-slot Dominator ATOs in the AoE stun

* 4-slot Cloud Senses in the fear cone

* 5-slot Positron's Blast in Unkindness

* 4-slot Call to Arms in Haunt

That adds up to 65% Recharge, +20% from base, +15% from offense amplifier, for a total of +100% global recharge.

Obviously, this is a bit more expensive way to go, but it will hold me over until I level into the 30s and can replace Offense Amplifier with a couple more set bonuses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
  • 1 year later

Just commenting on this several years later. 🙂

While the basic tenets of this guide still hold, one thing I'd modify for a lot of builds is the single target hold. Rather than slot it with Basilisk's, I think in a lot of cases its better to proc the hold out for damage. Several of them can do considerable damage slotted that way, especially Mind and Fire. A few of them fall into weird ground where that's less effective... Plant and Electric for example. 

I do happen to think permadom is more important than procs in most cases, so if you have to slot the Hold with Basilisk's it won't hurt you. As the build moves to the higher end though I'd consider looking into how much damage you pick up with procs. Doms are often starved for strong ranged attacks, the Holds can fill that gap nicely.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/11/2022 at 6:25 PM, oedipus_tex said:

Just commenting on this several years later. 🙂

While the basic tenets of this guide still hold, one thing I'd modify for a lot of builds is the single target hold. Rather than slot it with Basilisk's, I think in a lot of cases its better to proc the hold out for damage. Several of them can do considerable damage slotted that way, especially Mind and Fire. A few of them fall into weird ground where that's less effective... Plant and Electric for example. 

I do happen to think permadom is more important than procs in most cases, so if you have to slot the Hold with Basilisk's it won't hurt you. As the build moves to the higher end though I'd consider looking into how much damage you pick up with procs. Doms are often starved for strong ranged attacks, the Holds can fill that gap nicely.

This is a Kick Az thread.  Mandatory reading for Dominators.  (And for Controllers that want to upgrade...)

The Dominator template is simple but effective illustration of this 'mid-level' advice.   A Dominator on a budget that pops the notion you need to bankrupt yourself to get a decent Dominator.  As an interim build, this is top knotch stuff.

For anyone who does get what Dominators are or struggling in the wasteland of the mid-30s.  This is what you need.

_Tex is what this CoH community about.  Following his inspiring advice on Mind-Psi I took my L40 Dominator Mind/Psi from mediocrity to a next level build and probably my best Dominator yet. 

This could be applied to any Dominator to make it as good as it can be.  A bridge from powerful to the God Like being that will be more expensive, for sure.  But here, the advice is for the here and now.  And how to get to the 'then.'

I used to think Dominators were complex to build.  And whilst I was aware of the tricks for recharge?  This thread makes it very simple with a clear framework to hang your own interpretation and ideas on. 

A brain trust thread for aspiring, despairing or veteran Dominators.  It shows you were the keys to the Perma-Domi kingdom are.  It's all about Perma-Domi.  Once you have that?  No more ambulance visists to the Hospital for you and your Bean Can Hitpoints.  No Siree.  It's payback time!

DOmiNaTiOn!

Azrael.

Edited by Golden Azrael
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you so much for this thread. I’ve been enjoying doms more than any other AT but have quit them due to all the threads out there saying they needed huge investment to get to a “strong” state. 

This has made my very low level (so far) Dark/energy VERY strong. And my most fun character by far. 🙂

20 minutes ago, soulerflare said:

Thank you so much for this thread. I’ve been enjoying doms more than any other AT but have quit them due to all the threads out there saying they needed huge investment to get to a “strong” state. 

This has made my very low level (so far) Dark/energy VERY strong. And my most fun character by far. 🙂

They are a fun AT to play and yes you can easily build yourself a budget permadom by level 30.  The only real barrier is knowing the sets to target that offer the 7.5 and 6.25 recharge bonuses and making sure to take ample defense powers to slot those LotG +recharge.  The LotG's really will likely be the priciest thing you'll need, you can totally get a real good dom for 50-100 mil.  The higher priced builds really turn the dom into an animal but that's true for any AT.