Save base file

Player2

What about an option to save your base so if you want to move from one server to another, you can register your SG there and set up your old base just by loading the design.

Enterprising people can choose to share popular designs, and people who want to scrap everything they've built to start over but later regret it can restore things to the way they used to be.

This suggestion has popped up a few times, and according to someone who claims to have played on SCoRE, the possibility exists.  However, as they explained it to me, it's a manual process of excising data from a demorecord file which has to be performed during server maintenance windows by an admin.  Given the sheer size of Homecoming's player population, that obviously isn't terribly feasible for use here.  An automated tool, of course, would be absolutely stellar!  As would pretty much any quality of life improvements to base building.

...And definitely on many players' wish list I'm sure. Part of the issue, like always, likely has to do with the way the old code is and the fact that storage items are Part of the base item list itself, so the risk of abuse is there. Don't want people editing their way into unfair (?) status' now do we. That and the chance to break things as they are now is high. I'm sure once they can get around to reworking the base code or the Bases code, then we'll see more pliable solutions to bases themselves. Either way, it's a "Soon" with like a Google of Os for now.

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

5 hours ago, Apparition said:

Yes.  It is theoretically possible, but it would have to be manually done at server maintenance by a Homecoming admin.  So don’t expect it to happen here anytime soon.

The data exists somewhere and gets loaded every time someone goes into a base.  I don't buy the explanation of it can only be done manually during server maintenance.

I believe it has more to do with the bit which @WanderingAries brought up, @Player2.  The base has to be "scrubbed" to make it fair and valid.  There may be other issues too, as I've not personally seen how the process works.

As with most things, it would be great to have a Dev give a solid answer to the questions of "can it be done" and "is it feasible," but we rarely get those for even development items which are high on their priority lists.

4 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

...And definitely on many players' wish list I'm sure. Part of the issue, like always, likely has to do with the way the old code is and the fact that storage items are Part of the base item list itself, so the risk of abuse is there. Don't want people editing their way into unfair (?) status' now do we. That and the chance to break things as they are now is high. I'm sure once they can get around to reworking the base code or the Bases code, then we'll see more pliable solutions to bases themselves. Either way, it's a "Soon" with like a Google of Os for now.

The only real abuse I can see is stuff like enhancements and salvage and inspirations in bases being duplicated.  So it becomes a matter of making sure that such items do not get included as part of a save base file...  or if that somehow can't be helped, have such items be ignored when someone uses the "load base file" option in the base editing screen.

22 minutes ago, Player2 said:

The data exists somewhere and gets loaded every time someone goes into a base.  I don't buy the explanation of it can only be done manually during server maintenance.

You may choose to believe that the sky is not blue, but that's on you.

1 hour ago, Player2 said:

The only real abuse I can see is stuff like enhancements and salvage and inspirations in bases being duplicated.  So it becomes a matter of making sure that such items do not get included as part of a save base file...  or if that somehow can't be helped, have such items be ignored when someone uses the "load base file" option in the base editing screen.

Or have a flag that you set when you export the base, so you can choose to export all the storage items 'empty', or choose to clear all the storage items in the base you're copying -- so you can either leave all the items in storage in the 'old' base, or move them all to the 'new' base. Trying to do any sort of pick-and-choose for what to move would be more complication than we could expect to get.

28 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Or have a flag that you set when you export the base, so you can choose to export all the storage items 'empty', or choose to clear all the storage items in the base you're copying -- so you can either leave all the items in storage in the 'old' base, or move them all to the 'new' base. Trying to do any sort of pick-and-choose for what to move would be more complication than we could expect to get.

Clean out your base storage before you move to another server.  😀

Anything left behind is up for grabs to anyone that remains in the old supergroup or, if no one, it's just lost to oblivion.

I'll also point out one other potential issue... though I'm sure some people would consider it a petty thing and so not worth mentioning.

ANYONE can make a demo-recording of any base, and anyone can claim that the base in that demo is theirs.

Some base-builders might not mind the possibility of having duplicates of their base design floating around, but I can imagine that there would be others who'd take that possibility poorly.  The only way to avoid duplication like that would require some sort of "ownership" check and I'm not sure how possible or practical that would be. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

I'll also point out one other potential issue... though I'm sure some people would consider it a petty thing and so not worth mentioning.

ANYONE can make a demo-recording of any base, and anyone can claim that the base in that demo is theirs.

Some base-builders might not mind the possibility of having duplicates of their base design floating around, but I can imagine that there would be others who'd take that possibility poorly.  The only way to avoid duplication like that would require some sort of "ownership" check and I'm not sure how possible or practical that would be. 

It would be no more practical than ownership of costume designs.  Anyone can mimic someone else's design the same way.  And if their name isn't in use on another server, one could use it with the same costume.  But people would see the difference in the global chat handle it's attached to... and a duplicate base under someone else's ownership wouldn't likely have the same name and members.

No... but it would be the same design. And given the amount of work that some builders put into their bases, having Joe Anybody make a copy and use it for their own group might be a very sore point. 

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

9 hours ago, Player2 said:

Anything left behind is up for grabs to anyone that remains in the old supergroup

If you're just extending your SG to another server, rather than abandoning it to move entirely to another server, then you would want to keep your base as it is. In which case, you'll likely be muling salvage, enhancements, and inspirations across to spread them between the two bases, so you wouldn't be moving everything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, srmalloy said:

If you're just extending your SG to another server, rather than abandoning it to move entirely to another server, then you would want to keep your base as it is. In which case, you'll likely be muling salvage, enhancements, and inspirations across to spread them between the two bases, so you wouldn't be moving everything.

...or filling both bases, because your storage needs exceed your storage allotment.