Playing without travel powers

EggKookoo

Sprint + Ninja Run will be all the "travel" powers you need for MOST of the game.  You can get buy with a Jetpack for the rest if you don't want to dip into the Flight pool (in order to get to high places easily).

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

ONe the one character I plan on doing without a travel power I have ninjutsu and it gives me increase running and jumping. Along with sprint I can almost beat unslotted flight. Once I get enhancements into swift, hurdle and sprint along with any other movement bonuses I pick up, then I am sure it will be more than enough.

Unless you are villain side, because Grandville is a PITA without flying or teleport.

Is it madness? I just can't think of one that fits the concept of my gunslinger Thugs/Traps MM. Ideally he'd have a horse, or at most a motorcycle...

If you can stand spending the time to get places, then it will be fine. You can always give a shout in general if you need help getting somewhere- a fair few folks have teleport powers or other group transport abilities and will be able to help you out.

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

Keep in mind that once you have access to radio/paper missions you can get a free jetpack by doing three of those missions then a safeguard/mayhem mission. This gives you two hours of flight time, which if you only use travelling from mission to mission will last a very long time. There are a number of other missions that give you similar temporary travel powers. And with i25 you can go to one of the P2W vendors and buy temporary powers for influence. The various jet packs cost either 5000 or 50000 for 30 minutes of flight. If you do the paper mission route, by the time your 2 hours of flight runs out you should be at a level where earning 5000 inf is nothing.

For my 'non powered' natural types this is how I go, and it saves on taking a travel power. Especially useful on Masterminds since they always seem short on power slots early. If you didn't want to juggle temporary powers though, you can always take flight and add one of the jet packs or rocket boots to your character by way of explanation. There are any number of entirely human groups out there that make use of jet packs to get around, so you don't even need to stretch for it. You just hit up/beat up Longbow, Vanguard, Goldbrickers or whoever and got yourself a flight pack.

I have to agree with the use of the jumppacks or jetpack costume pieces with a costume change. While it may not fit with the character's western theme, he is no longer in the wild, wild, west and is in a modern city with supers and high tech.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

ONe the one character I plan on doing without a travel power I have ninjutsu and it gives me increase running and jumping. Along with sprint I can almost beat unslotted flight. Once I get enhancements into swift, hurdle and sprint along with any other movement bonuses I pick up, then I am sure it will be more than enough.

Unless you are villain side, because Grandville is a PITA without flying or teleport.

Grandville is still possible. There's elevators to take you up and down.

That said, my original main Madam Enigma was a claw/super reflexes scrapper who never took a travel power. Instead I put 3 run speed slots into swift, sprint, and Quickness. Yeah, I know. Madness. My land speed was on par with getting hit by Speedboost without sprint toggled on With sprint toggled on I was just a little slower then unslotted Super Speed. And I kept telling kinetics defenders or /kinetics controllers to not use speedboost on me. The +recharge didn't help Claws much, neither did the +recovery help me much. And the additional run speed kept causing me to lose control of my character's movement.

Actually, the few times I tried using Super Speed I'd have control problems due to it being too fast. I kept running into bus stops :)

My initial villain main, Mistress Poison used 3 slotted swift and sprint for travel for much of her career. Eventually she picked up Super Jump, but that was close to level 40. And my VEAT Arachnid Huntress (who became my new villain main) again never got a 'real' travel power. Arachnos Soldiers had a power in their secondary I believe that boosts run speed, so I 3 slotted that, swift, and sprint. I used jet packs from mayhem missions to get around Grandville, and learned how to get around other zones. And when the jet packs ran out, I learned where the elevators were in Grandville.

Is it madness? I just can't think of one that fits the concept of my gunslinger Thugs/Traps MM. Ideally he'd have a horse, or at most a motorcycle...

Never took one on my main back in the day, and haven't done so on her reincarnation.

For me the only bad thing about not having a travel power is the other players who insist I have to have one.

I did Grandville with a level 1 one lmao all I had was that jump pack thing lol a friend asked me to roll a new toon years ago and skip the tutorial and go straight to Grandville I got there and because of a bet I won got like 3m in inf lol :D

Mark-Stabler.jpg

I remember when we had to run everywhere lol and had to get to the other side of the Hollows I used to call it the 'Gulch Run' lol because you had to go down in to Grendels Gulch and get past the mobs at level 4 upwards lol, I used to love that

Then the 'Jetpacks' stuff started to come out and there was that 'Jetpack' you got and use it as a flight power until you could get 'Fly' or any of the other travel powers lol :D

Got my arse handed to me a few times lmao by them 'Pumices' lol

Mark-Stabler.jpg

One of the more annoying things about the mission system is that it seems past level 15 missions are often in the next zone or at least a mile away from your current position.  Without a travel power this gets annoying very fast.  Fortunately there is the free ninja or beast run and the free jump or steam pack to help that out early, and flight packs seem to be cheap enough to be usable.  But overall travel powers are too useful not to take one.

I also seem to recall that if you choose to take all your primary and secondary powers, there is going to be a gap at level 24 and a second gap at level 30 where you will have no choice but to pick up a power from the power pool.  So, you can get two power-pool powers without having to give up something else.  You just need to decide what you want when.

Not only are travel powers useful, they’re some of the most fun powers in the game. Nothing makes you feel more super than flying, leaping buildings or running faster than a car.

Oh, I agree. I'm not anti-travel-power. I've used all of them. I'm just trying to work out how to apply one "out of concept" so to speak. Really, I'm lamenting that vehicle travel powers never got implemented, but I understand the limits there.

Regarding playing without travel powers, it's your character and up to you. I had one character that I hadn't gotten a travel power on until the teens. I distinctly recall gathering all of the exploration badges in The Hollows with nothing more than Sprint. Found it a point of honour after grabbing the final one down in the SE corner without dying.

But when teaming it becomes majorly frustrating not just for yourself but the the team as you trudge across the zone. You can always try for an SG where everyone follows the same constraints, that would mean that the team would stay together as they travel to mission objectives.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Ninja Run + Sprint + Prestige Jump Pack (not the jet pack mind you)

Unless there is a long, uninterrupted straightaway, I usually beat Speeders to the mission door.

Unless terrain is very complicated and requires me to not travel in a straight line, I usually beat flyers to the door (unless they have Afterburner)

Unless it is a LONG run, I usually beat teleporters.

And I basically always beat leapers.

Know your zones, know when to hit the jump pack, and you will never miss a travel power mechanically speaking.

Now, these may not mesh well with your concept either, and if that's the case... if you're wanting to exist as a MM purely off of Sprint? ... you can do it, but at that point you WILL always get left behind by teams.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

To be fair, even in Issue 1 it was expected that you'd be getting a travel power of some type by level 14. So large zones and missions which require you to travel from zone to zone weren't too bad. And the fact that you can travel on foot from Atlas Park (or Galaxy City originally) to any other zone in the game (except Croatea when it got added) helped add to the immersion and make the city feel like a real place.

Teleport.

"Meanwhile...back at the ranch...."    Poof! You're there.

To be fair, even in Issue 1 it was expected that you'd be getting a travel power of some type by level 14. So large zones and missions which require you to travel from zone to zone weren't too bad. And the fact that you can travel on foot from Atlas Park (or Galaxy City originally) to any other zone in the game (except Croatea when it got added) helped add to the immersion and make the city feel like a real place.

Peregrine - requires you to take a ferry.

Striga - requires you to take a boat.

Sprint + Ninja Run will be all the "travel" powers you need for MOST of the game.  You can get buy with a Jetpack for the rest if you don't want to dip into the Flight pool (in order to get to high places easily).

This, I havent taken a travel power on most characters now

I like to roleplay my characters :) When i make someone with wings, Flying or Hover is mandatory. My cat-themed Brute uses Bestial Run, my Street Justice Scrapper uses Ninja Run etc. But honestly - flying is my favourite power. Raining fire and destruction on my enemies heads from high above? Yes, please  ;D Having said that - yes, dipping into travel power early on can hurt. Sacrificing one of skill slots leaves a hero short one offensive\defensive power in already very limited repertoire.

I like to roleplay my characters :) When i make someone with wings, Flying or Hover is mandatory. My cat-themed Brute uses Bestial Run, my Street Justice Scrapper uses Ninja Run etc. But honestly - flying is my favourite power. Raining fire and destruction on my enemies heads from high above? Yes, please  ;D Having said that - yes, dipping into travel power early on can hurt. Sacrificing one of skill slots leaves a hero short one offensive\defensive power in already very limited repertoire.

I find SJ works well for winged characters too, the idea being their wings aren't enough for sustained flight, but can provide a burst of extra lift and a controlled descent. :)

Except in PVP where SS/SJ is mandatory, pool travel powers are a convenience for the impatient, and anyone who tells you that you absolutely need them is wrong. Ninja Run + Sprint + Jetpack gives you 60mph run/jump/fly for the cost of no power picks or enhancement slots. It's the best deal you can get if you're planning on picking a lot of primary/secondary powers, and the best choice for a 'non-super' character concept.

Some people don't like Ninja Run's animation, but you can ignore the animation and use your imagination to fill in the gaps. The only limit is yourself.