Name Purge

Ruin Mage

I know HC has talked about it like a year ago, but can we get the Great Name Purge soonTM please?

For those who don't know what the frick frack I'm talking about, HC proposed a name purge system (misusing the word but fuck it) in which for certain level brackets, you get a set amount of days (usually very gracious) of being logged off before the name was able to be taken.

I know on Everlasting at least there are name squatters too.

Anything to combat them would be pleasantly welcomed.

• Like 4

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

I'm squatting on some names on Excelsior because I've moved most of my playing over to Torchbearer, but a couple dozen of my characters names were already in use on Torch, so they got left behind.

I'd happily trade with anyone who wants to switch over to Excelsior... but otherwise I've been leaving them idle for awhile in case I ever move back to Excelsior and want to play those characters again.

I did just have another idea to add onto this:

Give us the ability to figure out when another player has last played so we know if we should try emailing/PMing the person in-game or not.

I want my old Virtue names. Or at least one in particular 😠

• Like 2

unknown.png

Just now, Shadeknight said:

Give us the ability to figure out when another player has last played so we know if we should try emailing/PMing the person in-game or not.

What do you want and where?

2 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Just keep in mind, even under the outline I've seen for Name Releasing, if the character is lvl 50, it will not be released.

Also, while you may view the name as "your" old Virtue name, it's entirely possible the name was claimed first by someone who sees it as "thier" old Freedom or Guardian or <server goes here> name.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

Turns out the CoH universe is a dystopian world where names are currency

When they are unique, then yes, they will become valuable.  The "cooler" sounding the name is, the more valuable it will be. 

I have a number of characters on Torchbearer that I would give up to get other names that were already taken.

So far, I've only really had any luck exchanging a name with someone.  I think when I first got back into the game, I was able to get the name on Torch but it was taken on Excelsior where I anticipated making my home.  Was able to reach the name owner and he seemed to think his group was going to be more active on Torch, so agreed to switch with me.  More recently, after moving many of my characters over to Torch because my friends gravitated that way over time, I contacted him again and found that he played more often than not on Excelsior... so we traded back again so my incarnate Dark/Storm corruptor could get more regular playtime.

Edited by Player2

4 minutes ago, Andreah said:

It would be cool, although I imagine very difficult if not practically impossible, to make displayed names not need to be unique.

Difficult, yes, or it probably would have been done before the shutdown when people complained about it all the time.

Impossible?  No...  it's all in knowing how to code it so that it doesn't break anything else.  Which, I guess, makes it functionally impossible... but not truly.

26 minutes ago, Andreah said:

It would be cool, although I imagine very difficult if not practically impossible, to make displayed names not need to be unique.

I ... am probably being contrarian. But I like that the names ARE unique. 

I get that it can be depressing when you cant' get the exact spelling you want, and that spelling MATTERS to you, either because of historical connections to live or character concept or both. 

But I'd be a little depressed to join a team of 5 players all names ShieldyMcPunchFace.  (or being less snarky, all named Firethorn, or all named Glacier Girl, etc).

I kind of like that people have to stretch a bit to think of something.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I like unique names as well. I do wish however, that accounts that have left the game would have their names released. I know, how do you determine ones that have left the game? What period of inactivity is required? I also think that any inactivity time should be account based inactivity, and not character based. I have a few character names that I fully intend to play at some point, but haven't gotten to them yet. I'd hate to lose the name because I'm having fun playing something else at the time and "forgot" that I needed to log in on CoolName McBlaster to keep the name.

• Like 2

i'd like if there was a way to just NOT have unique names and use the Champions chat system. it is beyond annoying that i have NEVER seen the person who has Megawatt logged on on everlasting and i'd like to just be able to rename the character i'm using as that one to Megawatt and be Megawatt@Megawatt.

22 minutes ago, Megawatt said:

i'd like if there was a way to just NOT have unique names and use the Champions chat system. it is beyond annoying that i have NEVER seen the person who has Megawatt logged on on everlasting and i'd like to just be able to rename the character i'm using as that one to Megawatt and be Megawatt@Megawatt.

megavolt-gallery-02.jpg.57cb55489121f673ad796fa8449b2bc3.jpg

I don't know, a generic word such as Megawatt may be copy righted especially for a Disney Character as obscure as this one.  Even the normal word  "Joker" which is defined as a person who makes jokes, is copy righted through DC as a character.  Venom, Wolverine, Apocalypse, Juggernaut, Colossus, Cyclops, Robin, Beast, Two-Face (more of a phrase without the hyphen), Penguin, Firefly, plus all the regular team names like Avengers, Inhuman, Wild Pack, Wild Cards, ect ect.  They are words, from the English language slapped onto an image and a paragraph to create a fictional person.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

6 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

So long as people serving in the military who are out on deployment can be made exempt, go for it.

Why should military people be exempt from a name purge in a video game?

Like, there's nothing that special about folks in the military that they should get an exempt card from a theoretical name purge.

Edited by Shadeknight
  • Like 2

unknown.png

1 hour ago, Shadeknight said:

Why should military people be exempt from a name purge in a video game?

Like, there's nothing that special about folks in the military that they should get an exempt card from a theoretical name purge.

Why should people who don't have the desired name not be exempt from from getting it?

Like, there is nothing special about the billions of words and several hundred languages, multiple ways to spell a God or mythical person because the region it travel to from the start origin is spelled differen.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer