Third set of ATOs

Gulbasaur

Yes, some of them are too good. Yes, some of them are almost useless. Let us have more!

I liked some of the older Inherents (particularly the brink-of-death blaster one) and it would be nice to see them return as an option. Others are just gameplay things I think need tweaking. 

Scrapper Scrapperlock! Give them a small crit rate proc for hitting the same enemy twice.

Tanker - return of old Gauntlet-style -RES proc

Blaster - return of old Defiance damage boost with low health (Reactive Defences gives +RES with low health, this could give +DMG)

Defender - a power-boost like proc attached to an attack to provide "critical support" or an adrenaline rush or similar

Controller - increased critical confusion proc rate, akin to scrappers' crit rate ATOs (or add Fear and Confusion to the Containment list)

Kheldian - something with mez protection or a global damage proc like the VEATs have

Sentinel  - a global range increase IO

Stalker - current Stalker ATOs are best-in-show, so something fairly minor like the Kheldian heal one

Corruptor -  is it possible to tweak the Scourge rate via an enhancement?

Dominator - chance to reset cooldown on Domination like the stalker chance for Hide and chance to recharge Build Up; Dominators often chase huge amounts of recharge anyway, so it's just freeing up that whole slotting conundrum and allowing them more build freedom

Brute - Brutelock! Give them a small damage boost for staying on one place (and not leaving your sidekicked-up teamates dealing with the two +5 bosses you left behind)

Masterminds - a small endurance discount for being within range of your pets.

VEATs - just let them crit on ranged attacks, please...

Anyway... please!

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 2
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern King Solar Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Peacebringer Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

I don't really support a third set of ATOs, not because of any particular issues with the detail of your proposal, just because two sets of ATOs already pushes things a little far in the direction of "everyone slots the same."  Having there be a little more variety and choice in slotting is I think more interesting.

Another ATO that was mutually unique with one of the current ATOs would be interesting, though.  So you could have any two of three or four ATO sets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aethereal said:

Another ATO that was mutually unique with one of the current ATOs would be interesting, though.  So you could have any two of three or four ATO sets.

This. I remember seeing a similar idea floated for expanding on "Winter-O's."

That is, add Spring-O', Summer-O's, Autumn-O's. BUT, you could never have more than one "Season" slotted at a time.  If you slot any Spring-O's, you could not slot ANY Winter-O's, and vice versa.

A scheme like that, I could support. Even some variation on that, but which still limited you to the same number of grand total "Superior" sets that any one character could slot.

• Like 5

That would last about... half an hour. Then the Spreadsheet Gurus would figure out the "best" sets according to meta-building best practices, a few people would toss builds and guides up in the appropriate forums or Discord channels and shortly there-after the "not best" sets would become conversion fodder. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

6 hours ago, aethereal said:

just because two sets of ATOs already pushes things a little far in the direction of "everyone slots the same."

This is true in a LOT of other slotting though. Look at the number of uniques and top tier single IOs that a huge % of people slot:

Numi/Miracle/Panacea

Kismet

LotG

KB Ios

SLow res IOs

And with the full sets, I would guess that the best ones get used like 80% or more of the time, and most of the others are never used (aside from maybe using some leveing up).

SO yeah..we already do slot quite similar.

More ATO's that do something 'different' would be cool. Like for Sec Power sets instead.

2 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

And with the full sets, I would guess that the best ones get used like 80% or more of the time, and most of the others are never used (aside from maybe using some leveing up).

SO yeah..we already do slot quite similar.

Sure.  And we shouldn't make it even more so.

17 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

That would last about... half an hour. Then the Spreadsheet Gurus would figure out the "best" sets according to meta-building best practices, a few people would toss builds and guides up in the appropriate forums or Discord channels and shortly there-after the "not best" sets would become conversion fodder. 

Yes and no, depending on what the IO's are and how they interact with certain sets.

17 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

I don't think the meta is that strong in CoH.  It seems within the realm of reason to imagine a few different ATO sets where a given build/powerset would benefit from one ATO and another would benefit from another.  Just have an ATO that juggles its big defensive grants would create some diversity, I think: if you had one that grants positional vs typed defense, and another that doesn't grant as much defense but does grant more resist, there are clearly ways that all of those would end up being sought after for different characters.  You might have to make the procs very similar.

1 hour ago, aethereal said:

I don't think the meta is that strong in CoH.  It seems within the realm of reason to imagine a few different ATO sets where a given build/powerset would benefit from one ATO and another would benefit from another.  Just have an ATO that juggles its big defensive grants would create some diversity, I think: if you had one that grants positional vs typed defense, and another that doesn't grant as much defense but does grant more resist, there are clearly ways that all of those would end up being sought after for different characters.  You might have to make the procs very similar.

That was something of an exaggeration for humor's sake... but you just know there would end up being favorites and not-such-favorites. And probably plenty of arguments over which sets belonged in which stack. 

35 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

That was something of an exaggeration for humor's sake... but you just know there would end up being favorites and not-such-favorites. And probably plenty of arguments over which sets belonged in which stack. 

Sure.  That sounds healthy, as long as it wasn't all-or-nothing.

I mean, we -could- made the additional Set(s) follow the same Set Bonuses as the existing Set(s), and have the difference focus more on the Proc/Passive, and the Enhancement values.   ie:  A Damage Set for Dominators, or a Support Set for Controllers, Defenders, Masterminds, and Corruptors, or a Survival Set for Stalkers, Tankers, Sentinels, Scrappers, and Brutes.   Those sorts of differences.

For Scrapper, I wouldn't give any +Crit Proc.  I'd give it a DMG Proc.  Same with Stalkers.  And give them a +Resist All at the end of it.

For Stalkers, same as Scrappers, but on the end of their set bonus, a straight +Def All bonus at the end of it (so it benefits all Stalkers equally).

Tanker, yeah, I like the -Res Proc idea.  I'm thinking a good +END Bonus or +Recovery Bonus at the end of this set. 

Brutes, DMG Proc.  I'd give Brutes the one the Tankers didn't get, so it's switched up, so +END or +REC

Defenders, a DMG Proc.  ATO set DMG Procs are Purple level and I know I'd like more damage on my Defender 🙂  +5 Melee Defense in the 5th slot with +10% Recharge in the last slot.  This I think would change up builds 🙂

Corruptors, a +Scourge IO.  Let them Scourge sooner!  I'd do the same as Defenders with their set bonuses.

Controllers, a +1 to Hold IO.  And throw some damage into that set.  Throw some damage into the old sets.  +Def All as the end Bonus on the set.

Dominators, +10% Recharge IO on the end, so it doesn't get counted with the other +10% Recharge Bonuses, and put some damage into this set and the old ones.  I just don't feel it would be that game breaking to for the ATO sets to enhance damage too.  For mez's with no damage, then the DMG does nothing.

Blaster, a +DMG or +Absorb Proc.  I can't decide what I'd do for the end bonus on this one.  I just know I didn't care for how it was with the original two.  😛

Mastermind, a set worth slotting the whole set will suffice 🙂 Give it a good DMG Proc for the pet.

EATS, either another Form Empowerment or DMG Proc (seriously, it may just be my preference, but I like those purple level damage procs).

VEATS, how about their own Form Empowerment IO, but instead of Form, it's a +BONUS based on Soldier, Bane, Crab, Fortunata, Widow or Night Widow Training.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Haijinx said:

TBH unless someone comes up with something that is actually unique bonus wise, we probably don't need any new IO sets. 

I *still* want a purple Fear set, darnit.

/ has been saying that since the Live days

// has always wondered why there isn't one

/// has absolutely no talent for designing sets, or would have made one as a suggestion ages ago

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Coyotedancer said:

/// has absolutely no talent for designing sets, or would have made one as a suggestion ages ago

Purple set would be easy, as they pretty much stick to a pattern.

7 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

That actually wouldn't affect balance much.  Most sets do not have fear in them. 

So that seems not nearly as much of an ask IMO