Squishies Epic Armors grant 3 Mag Protection?

arthurh35353

2 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

What are YOU willing to sacrifice in order to gain this advantage?
Damage?  Range?  Recharge?  Ancillary effects?  HP?  Endurance?  Animation time lengths?

Or are you demanding a buff with no downside whatsoever?

Nothing and no.

I'm not asking for or really supporting squishies get mez protection, at least not this easy. I pointed out the way you phrased your statement was "the game should never grow"and said if you want to fight power creep then provide a better argument.

I will allow that it might've been a mistake and not intentional on your part, but you just ignored what I said and attacked me for reasons. So maybe the "being obtuse" was not intentional on your part. I really don't see how the antagonism would be accidental, but maybe that was too. But point is, you're latching on to a terrible argument (*not* a terrible point, but the way you try to make that point) and get angry at anyone who points it out.

Edited by Dragon Crush
changed phased to phrased

8 hours ago, Apparition said:

As far as I am concerned, there is no need for this.  Whenever I create a new Blaster, Corruptor, or Defender, I keep Defense Amplifier on it at all times from there on in.  It means restocking every eight hours, but big deal.  Paying for Defense Amplifier every eight hours of in-game time also keeps inflation down.

I know some will go, "Paying 20 million INF for eight hours of Defense Amplifier at level 50 is too much!"  No, it isn't.  I can get that in about a hour of play, sometimes less if I'm lucky.  No farming required.

This is a problem already solved looking for a solution.

Really? Would you complain if they changed it so that every melee class required offense amplifiers to function without a team?

If not, why not? Why do squishies require spending buckets of Influence for something that everyone else gets (at levels they can't even pay for)?

This is, again, keeping squishies a second class citizen for no other reason than 'because'. 

Edited by arthurh35353

12 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

The question you should be asking is that should a penalty be levied to force Blasters and Defenders to team be enforced, or should they have just as much choice to play solo and bring their shining points to those teams and even function better for them.

An AT should not require any other AT to have a basic level of fun and effectiveness. You are right now stating that Defenders and Blasters should be subservient and require having other people to feel powerful and useful and that if they don't, they should just deal with it and be frustrated.

And that's a bad point and idea. In fact, I'd even call it toxic.

Hm... well, I hope it's not toxic.  In fairness, I don't know exactly what you mean by that, so I suppose it could be true.  Toxic or not, though, that was the design paradigm around which those particular AT's were designed.  I would like to say that Blasters (and, possibly, Corrupters) no longer fit into that design paradigm.  Both AT's now solo quite well.  In another topic, one player recently posted how he soloed an ITF with his blaster in hard mode (No inspirations, himself de-buffed and the enemy buffed).  If blasters are disadvantaged by lack of mez protection, it's difficult to see how that could be the case. 

In my limited experience (I've been playing about a year now and have 4 different blasters- it's become one of my favorite classes), Blasters are one of the most powerful and effective AT's in the game- possibly the MOST powerful- even by comparison with the ones that have inherent Mez protection.  Note that I'm speaking from a PvE point of view and not an PvP point of view.  I don't know anything about how PvP functions in CoX.

Defenders might well require mez protection to be effective for solo play.  As I said, I don't play them, so I can't comment on this with any authority.

But let's address your main point here, because I think this is important to understand:  Creating specific AT's designed to be used as support in team play was not a punitive measure intended to force people to engage in team play.  It was a design choice meant to provide character types that were very good at team support, in anticipation that many people would want to enjoy super-hero team play (ala the X-men, Avengers, etc.) and that players on those teams would want AT's specialized at those roles, to better facilitate and simulate that experience.

Other AT's were made that would support players who preferred solo play ( e.g. Batman-type lone vigilantes and/or Superman archetypes.  These are most of the tougher, better protected melee classes, with hard-hitting attacks, strong defense/resistance, and inherent mez protection powers).

Now, maybe all AT's should be reworked so they are all equally viable in solo and/or group play.  I won't say that's a wrong opinion.  In fact, it's a personal preference about the game that is neither right nor wrong.  But I enjoy playing both Blasters and Corrupter, both solo and in groups, and certainly don't feel I'm being penalized in any fashion.  Every AT has certain advantages and disadvantages.  Deciding which ones you find acceptable and which ones you don't (I grew tired of the Dominators Domination mechanic, for example- so I don't play them anymore) is part of the choice you make when playing the game. 

Not all of the choices that you have will be agreeable to you (or anyone else).  That's just the nature of the beast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

Really? Would you complain if they changed it so that every melee class required offense amplifiers to function without a team?

If not, why not? Why do squishies require spending buckets of Influence for something that everyone else gets (at levels they can't even pay for)?

This is, again, keeping squishies a second class citizen for no other reason than 'because'. 

Far from it, it's already been emphatically explained why melees are given mez protection in this very thread, and that your comparison is a very false equivalence. You're not doing yourself any favors suggesting that squishies require mez protection or that changing the way melees work now is the same as maintaining how squishies currently are. As has been said before, the difference is in the tools they have already been given and the purposes they were designed with mind to. 

I've been plied a bit by some of the arguments here in favor of the mez prot for squishies in certain forms, but you seriously just take away from that with this nonsense.

Edited by Monos King
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I have to say that the whole "squishies are second class citizens that require all these extras just to function" is confusing to me, I've had blasters that could chew through things almost as well as my scrappers, controllers and doms that locked things down and beat them at my leisure, defenders that turned things into non-threats before they could harm me and MMs that cackled while my pets went to town. They took different strategies than my tanks or scrappers, but nearly anything could solo if you came at the fight right, though granted some required more attention and not all could handle +4/8.

There's room for improvements, sure, but doesn't seem nearly as bad as some people are painting it, or I've just lucked out with better powerset synergies than these people.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dragon Crush said:

There's room for improvements, sure, but doesn't seem nearly as bad as some people are painting it, or I've just lucked out with better powerset synergies than these people.

Or you are just ignoring the times you got held nastily because you couldn't bring the exact right strategy to bear or you've avoided some of the worst mezzing groups. You can play perfectly fine at +0x1 with perfect caution.

How heroic it feels to play safe and carefully because if you run into a strong mezz, you die.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, arthurh35353 said:

Or you are just ignoring the times you got held nastily because you couldn't bring the exact right strategy to bear or you've avoided some of the worst mezzing groups. You can play perfectly fine at +0x1 with perfect caution.

How heroic it feels to play safe and carefully because if you run into a strong mezz, you die.

Been there.
Done that.
It happens.
Change your strategy.
You are NOT meant to play through the entire game at +4x8.
Nor is anyone.

• Like 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

8 minutes ago, Starforge said:

Might want to invest in the Tier 2 or Tier 3 Break Frees then. You can even buy the Super Break Frees if you really want to.

Continually buying inspirations to cover a problem in a build/AT usually is proof of a problem, not a solution.

Just want to chime in.

So Regen is all about regen right? But it does poor job at that. Should we not fix it?

I mean you can just pop orange,purple and call it a day. Why bother fixing regen after all right?

We have inspirations after all.

We don't need to fix mercs, assault rifle either since we have red inspirations. Even team ones.

Note: I still don't agree with suggestion to give all squishies mag protection. At least not really. I mean with blasters you can just slot ATO's for that. There is workaround.

But no that slot goes to damage proc.

Edited by Darkneblade

6 minutes ago, Darkneblade said:

I mean with blasters you can just slot ATO's for that. There is workaround.

If you are talking the Blast ATO proc that gives some mez protection, that's the worst work around I have ever heard and I think it should be shot out of a cannon.

There is precedent for this on controllers - psionic mastery - indomitable will.

I don't think it should be added to all epic armors.

But

If something like that were added to only one pool to make it a choice - a hard choice - I don't see the harm in it because I take that on all my trollers.

It's a choice to give up something to have it also - because my troller builds are packed as it is.

Edited by Infinitum

25 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

I don't think it should be added to all epic armors.

But why shouldn't they? Is there a good reason? Why should one armor in the controller set have that benefit and others not? 

Let's turn that around. If Psychic Mastery had +mezz protection against fear/confuse *and* hold/stun (and the other Controller's only had hold/stun) would that make more sense or less?

Edited by arthurh35353

15 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

But why shouldn't they? Is there a good reason? Why should one armor in the controller set have that benefit and others not? 

Let's turn that around. If Psychic Mastery had +mezz protection against fear/confuse *and* hold/stun (and the other Controller's only had hold/stun) would that make more sense or less?

No, because it should be a difficult choice tonhave something not native to the primary or secondary.

On fire tankers there is no kb protection - other tankers have it - fire tankers have added damage capability so if you want KB also you have to give up something to get it either with acrobatics or slots for IOs.

15 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

My position would be because they don't have it now, and it would require additional work by a volunteer team with limited time and personnel, which would be better utilized fixing more serious issues that have a strong negative impact on game play.  This issue, in my play experience, does not have a strong impact on game play.  I have plenty of options to avoid mez with my blasters, controllers, and corrupters.  Yes, I do get mezz'd on occasion.  So what?  That's part of the game; a challenge to be dealt with and overcome.

I know this experience is different for you, but unless it's a serious problem for most players of the AT's in question, I don't see any reason to waste time on it.  On the other hand, if dozens and dozens of people suddenly start petitioning for it, maybe the devs should take a look at making changes, in the interests of the majority of the player base.

I don't see how that's the case right now, though.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Grindingsucks said:

I don't see how that's the case right now, though.

And yet the other servers have something of the like for all players. So adding +4 mezz protection to all epic armors is obviously not super huge in outlay either. 

You are basically saying its not worth any effort at all, even though people obviously do care about it.

5 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

And yet the other servers have something of the like for all players. So adding +4 mezz protection to all epic armors is obviously not super huge in outlay either. 

You are basically saying its not worth any effort at all, even though people obviously do care about it.

other servers don't put any effort into balancing, so there's that

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Break Frees + Clarion + getting good.

There you go.

And, once again, what about level 1 through 49 when you can't have Clarion? Oh, wait, those levels don't matter.

13 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

other servers don't put any effort into balancing, so there's that

Is that really unbalanced? Or is that just your kneejerk reaction?

Edited by arthurh35353