Secondary for gravity control?

Magicfrog89

Storm, definitely, because using Wormhole to bring mobs into a small area so that Tornado and Lightning Storm hit more targets is a nice tactic.

Traps is a good choice also because you drop several traps then Wormhole the spawn into a whole lot of bright flashes, detonations, and experience points.

TA isn't a bad option, as Gravity can play well as an all-ranged set, and so can Traps. Plus, Gravity does good single-target damage but struggles with AoE, and Trick Arrows can help with AoE damage.

Poison isn't a bad option. Again, small-radius debuffs are helped by having Wormhole bunch up spawns, Poison Trap can be set ahead of the fight, and Poison can do good AoE damage to help cover the AoE damage lack from Gravity.

+1 for storm.

My friends brother whole resion I got into this game was destroying 4+8 on an unfinished build he was still working on the inf to do. AV solo and was making it GM capable to a limit. 

No idea his build long sence lost contact with them(kinda moved 7k Kim away) but it can be done

I have a grav/storm now and played a grav/kin on live. As stated, grav/storm is a great combo. While grav/kin has visual synergy, kinetics works best if you get into melee range, which grav doesn't require. Singularity can't be healed and is challenging to buff with fulcrum shift. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

I think that Kinetics is so busy, that it works best with a primary that's not so busy, or has fast animations. I'd run it with Fire (a classic choice), or with Plant (because Plant doesn't spend too much time throwing out controls, and because Fulcrum-shifted Creeper Tentacles tear buildings down... fast).

Basically, Gravity is just a good all around set for Controllers, which are a usually low damage archetype. Despite what animations might imply, the real heavy hitter is Lift, which is "phenomenal," while Propel is just "very good." 

Grav/Trick Arrow and Grav/Traps are also good options with similarities to Storm or Kinetics but basically anything paired with Gravity Control on Controllers is likely to be strong. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Gravity Dominators...this is a case where IMO in 90% of situations the set is stronger on a Controller.

I was having a look on the FoTM stuff from a while ago and was surprised to see Grav/Cold so low.

Am I missing why? I’ve not used grav before so am very happy to be told why before I spent sweet sweet inf on this.
I’ve loosely put something together and it seems... good? Wormhole them into a big pile, crushing field, sleet, some propels, dead? I’ve managed perma hasten, near perma heat loss and indom will, and seems to do solid damage?

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

1 hour ago, Xiddo said:

I was having a look on the FoTM stuff from a while ago and was surprised to see Grav/Cold so low.

Am I missing why? I’ve not used grav before so am very happy to be told why before I spent sweet sweet inf on this.
I’ve loosely put something together and it seems... good? Wormhole them into a big pile, crushing field, sleet, some propels, dead? I’ve managed perma hasten, near perma heat loss and indom will, and seems to do solid damage?

It's very good. It's not as good as /Storm because you can do the same with Freezing Rain and also get Tornado and Lightning Storm, but... it's quite good. And /Cold is very good against AVs. And /Cold is better for teaming than /Storm.

So if you're more of a teaming character or want to solo AVs better, /Cold is an excellent option.

8 hours ago, Coyote said:

It's very good. It's not as good as /Storm because you can do the same with Freezing Rain and also get Tornado and Lightning Storm, but... it's quite good.

I had underestimated this bit. However I guess I thought the allure of heat loss would be more enticing.

My first live 50 was a fire/storm controller. Pre-IO and I was a kid without mids so I wonder if it’s also partly me never using storm to its best.

However I can see why Grav/dark affinity is so high up the FoTM list. I just wish the relatively inexpensive build I toyed with have more rech so soul drain could be perma. But I should probably also stop trying to play controllers like I play my Dom.

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png

10 hours ago, Xiddo said:

Thiis, I am loving my grav cold. I know Storm and Poison are excellent but for some reason when I thought of rolling a grav controller went straight to grav/cold and so far no regrets

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

11 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Cold is a fantastic set that I swear I'll never play again until they reorder the powers. The 35 level wait for Sleet is brutal. 

Play it as a defender 😉

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender

Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper | Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel

no no no no.....the best answer is /TIME.

You get options for +def, -tohit, another single target hold that will stack with the one you already have, heals and more heals, and slows. Plus, you get a floor patch power to slide under your area immobs. If you want to be a true controllery controller (not one that does damage, but actual control) Time is the answer.

• Like 2

Many good suggestions here. I'll also recommend Dark Affinity. Massive debuffs, stealth, resists, hold, endo recovery, regen that can keep Singularity from dying, Defense buff, slow and -Res patch, -Damage, -Regen, aoe stun...

Layers of protection, layers of debuff, a bunch of buffs, extra control, and one if the best companion pets in the game for Singy.

It lacks Time's +recharge, and +ToHit, but offers more ways to neuter EBs/AVs through debuffing. And also a proc friendly set.

Can't go wrong with either!

• Like 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

13 hours ago, Magicfrog89 said:

Thank you all for the replies I'm going to go ahead with storm as it seems to give some nice AOE

To note about Storm's "AoE"... it's not AoE. It has a very small radius, so it only hits mobs next to each other. It only counts as AoE when paired with Gravity (fortunately this is the case here), or with a Fold Space build. You need to have mobs packed shoulder to shoulder for Tornado and Lightning Storm to hit multiple targets reliably.

The real AoE secondaries are Trick Arrows, Traps, and Poison, as they have AoE damage or proc-able Holds with large radii. For Gravity this isn't as much of an issue, but for other sets that need help with AoE damage, Storm is not the one that will help. Well, it will help with spawn clearing because it does so much damage in general, but it's not really AoE... it will work better on x4 or a max of x6, while the AoE sets will help all the way up to x8.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5099y_74c05 said:

"Herdicaning" is my suggested solution to clustering for primaries that do not have Wormhole or other repositioning tools. It takes practice and is clunky to use in tight spaces. Know its limitations.

I loved Herdicaning before they greatly increased the activation period on the repel effect. Maybe I was spoiled by having it activate so fast, but the newer, "slow to respond" version just felt so clunky to me that I haven't gone back to in. I do have Fold Space on my Ill/Storm, maybe I should try again with it to see how workable it is now that I'm not so upset about it anymore.

Gotta say, though, with Fold Space, spawns get erased fast at +4/x6, and that's with Illusion (no AoE whatsoever from the primary). Bunching up mobs for Storm takes a high single-damage set and turns it into an AoE eraser with a 5 target cap. That's why I always suggest Gravity/Storm, because bunched up mobs for Tornado/LS is just ridiculously good.

Time for Spatio-Temporal Distortions theme!

• Like 1

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/