Powersets best on a Scrapper!

StriderIV

Hi all!

I wanted to pick your brains: Which power sets, in your opinion, are most optimal on a scrapper? I've recently rolled several tankers and brutes, but I miss scrappin' it out!

I know the obvious answer is TW/Bio. Rolled one for a bit, wasn't for me.

I also hear great things about DM/Shield having great synergy. This makes sense to me, as I've rolled 2 Shield Defense Tankers and what the set is missing out on is a heal (as well as some way to take care of endurance). Dark Melee helps cover these areas.

Are there any other power sets/combos you feel are most optimally played on scrapper? Thanks in advance heroes!

• Like 1

Axe. Stalkers don't get it, tanks and brutes can't crit with it. Axe all the way.

Ninjitsu, better on scrappers because of the end recovery power and shinobi-ri

Regen - better on scrappers because quick recovery is not available on stalkers and shadow meld isn't available with brutes. Sentinels have a better version of regen though but if we are just comparing melee ATs regen is best on scrappers.

Edited by Nemu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

3 minutes ago, Nemu said:

Axe. Stalkers don't get it, tanks and brutes can't crit with it. Axe all the way.

Ninjitsu, better on scrappers because of the end recovery power and shinobi-ri

Regen - better on scrappers because quick recovery is not available on stalkers and shadow meld isn't available with brutes. Sentinels have a better version of regen though but if we are just comparing melee ATs regen is best on scrappers.

This is super helpful, thanks man! Definitely food for thought. My first hero back on live was a Claws/Regen scrapper haha

Titan Weapon no questions asked. Seeing Arc of Destruction crit 10 targets will swear you off all other sets.

Put the Crit proc chance ATO in Titan Sweep and use that as your opener followed by Whirling Smash and AoD for the massive damage

Edited by Seigmoraig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seigmoraig said:

Titan Weapon no questions asked. Seeing Arc of Destruction crit 10 targets will swear you off all other sets

True! It is outstanding once IO'd out. I have a buddy I run with constantly who has a TW, so I'm looking to do something a bit different. No doubting it's power on a scrapper though!

Katana/Rad  are great together I enjoy it more than Katana/WP which is also rock solid.

DB/EA pair up great 

dm/sd as mentioned there are a lot of great pairings depending on what you want out of the build

Edited by hejtmane
  • Like 1

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

18 minutes ago, hejtmane said:

Katana/Rad  are great together I enjoy it more than Katana/WP which is also rock solid.

DB/EA pair up great 

dm/sd as mentioned there are a lot of great pairings depending on what you want out of the build

Yeah, DM/SD do seem like a solid pair to cover each other’s weaknesses.

I have heard good things about Dual Blades/EA though, good one to point out!

15 minutes ago, Jaxman100 said:

I like Ice Armor with the different T9.   Really good IO builds that don't occasionally need to pop the T9 are probably better on Tanks and Brutes.  But the pretty good builds that sometimes get debuffed can make use of it. 

You know I've heard that about Ice Armor! The new T9 is a no crash, similar to Rad correct?

16 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Definitely some good options so far. I had mentioned DM/SD. Is that still a solid choice?

It is absolutely a solid choice. Still my favorite scrapper. And I do believe it is best on scrappers. 

I have played dark shield on scrappers, stalkers, and tankers. All are good, even stalkers since they get another high damage attack (assassins strike). Their ato also helps keep build up with higher uptime. I still however prefer would drain so I like scrappers more for this combo. 

It has the best synergy of all in my opinion and is very strong and a lot of fun. 

I also very much enjoy dual blades. It’s not “better” on a scrapper than a stalker, just different. I do think it’s better on a scrapper than a brute or tanker though.  I have paired it with both EA and bio and it does great with both of them. 

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of my favorite three armors (energy aura, shield defense, and bio armor). I’ve come around a bit on ninjitsu as well, though I still like the other three better.

Based on the scrappers I’ve made so far my favorites have been:

-dark melee/shield defense

-dual blades/energy aura

-savage melee/bio armor

• Thanks 1

• Lead Game Master
3 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Bump for more ideas/opinions!

Please don’t bump threads. Thanks!

Other than that— I think DM/SD is extremely strong based on a number of synergies:

- to hit debuff and strong defense

- Soul Drain can be made perma, Against all Odds grants another damage buff, and most of the enemies in the game have no resistance to Dark damage so damage output is excellent.

- Siphon Life is a great main attack power that also heals

- Shield Charge helps make up for DM having so-so AOEs.

• Like 4

Just now, GM Kaiju said:

Please don’t bump threads. Thanks!

Other than that— I think DM/SD is extremely strong based on a number of synergies:

- to hit debuff and strong defense

- Soul Drain can be made perma, Against all Odds grants another damage buff, and most of the enemies in the game have no resistance to Dark damage so damage output is excellent.

- Siphon Life is a great main attack power that also heals

- Shield Charge helps make up for DM having so-so AOEs.

Apologies Kaiju! Thanks for the input 🙂

46 minutes ago, Saikochoro said:

It is absolutely a solid choice. Still my favorite scrapper. And I do believe it is best on scrappers. 

I have played dark shield on scrappers, stalkers, and tankers. All are good, even stalkers since they get another high damage attack (assassins strike). Their ato also helps keep build up with higher uptime. I still however prefer would drain so I like scrappers more for this combo. 

It has the best synergy of all in my opinion and is very strong and a lot of fun. 

I also very much enjoy dual blades. It’s not “better” on a scrapper than a stalker, just different. I do think it’s better on a scrapper than a brute or tanker though.  I have paired it with both EA and bio and it does great with both of them. 

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of my favorite three armors (energy aura, shield defense, and bio armor). I’ve come around a bit on ninjitsu as well, though I still like the other three better.

Based on the scrappers I’ve made so far my favorites have been:

-dark melee/shield defense

-dual blades/energy aura

-savage melee/bio armor

Appreciate it man! Dark Melee/Shield does seem like a blast. I'll admit, I've been scared away from DB due to the the combo system. Is it something that is tough to get the hang of?

Out of all these builds, which one do you think is the best overall for general content and going head to head with AV's? Appreciate your insights!

Just now, StriderIV said:

Appreciate it man! Dark Melee/Shield does seem like a blast. I'll admit, I've been scared away from DB due to the the combo system. Is it something that is tough to get the hang of?

Out of all these builds, which one do you think is the best overall for general content and going head to head with AV's? Appreciate your insights!

Don’t be afraid of dual blades combos. All the melee archetypes only need to worry about one combo, if any, depending on recharge. 

Scrappers, brutes, and tanks just do blinding feint + attack vitals (ablaiting>vengeful>sweeping) on repeat. Stalkers just do the sweep combo whenever build ato procs or when it’s off cooldown. I ignore all other combos. If you have high enough recharge on scrappers you could go blinding>ablaiting>sweeping and ignore the combos altogether. 

I think all three of those combos are tough enough to handle any content and can kill AVs without a problem. Dark/shield needs minion fodder to fuel AAO and souls drain. So without minion fodder the damage does drop, but with saturated AAO and soul drain the damage is pretty ludicrous. Both others have solid damage as well. 

If you want a dedicated AV killer though I’d go energy melee/Bio armor. You don’t need any fodder for bio armors damage bonuses. And energy melee has pretty insane single target damage. This also does fine with general content. 

My personal preferences overall would lean me to dark/shield and dual blades energy aura. You could push damage a bit further on dual blades and pair it with bio armor as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saikochoro said:

Don’t be afraid of dual blades combos. All the melee archetypes only need to worry about one combo, if any, depending on recharge. 

Scrappers, brutes, and tanks just do blinding feint + attack vitals (ablaiting>vengeful>sweeping) on repeat. Stalkers just do the sweep combo whenever build ato procs or when it’s off cooldown. I ignore all other combos. If you have high enough recharge on scrappers you could go blinding>ablaiting>sweeping and ignore the combos altogether. 

I think all three of those combos are tough enough to handle any content and can kill AVs without a problem. Dark/shield needs minion fodder to fuel AAO and souls drain. So without minion fodder the damage does drop, but with saturated AAO and soul drain the damage is pretty ludicrous. Both others have solid damage as well. 

If you want a dedicated AV killer though I’d go energy melee/Bio armor. You don’t need any fodder for bio armors damage bonuses. And energy melee has pretty insane single target damage. This also does fine with general content. 

My personal preferences overall would lean me to dark/shield and dual blades energy aura. You could push damage a bit further on dual blades and pair it with bio armor as well. 

I could see EM/Bio fitting the bill. I currently have an EM/EA that does well, but maybe I'll roll it again haha. Good to know about Dual Blades. You feel it has an advantage over, say, Katana on a Scrapper?

That also makes sense on having to have minions in order to get the most out of Dark/Shield. I could see it being a blast on ITF though haha.

41 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

I could see EM/Bio fitting the bill. I currently have an EM/EA that does well, but maybe I'll roll it again haha. Good to know about Dual Blades. You feel it has an advantage over, say, Katana on a Scrapper?

That also makes sense on having to have minions in order to get the most out of Dark/Shield. I could see it being a blast on ITF though haha.

I do think dual blades is better than katana. Katana does have a nice party type power to boost m/l defense, but I don’t think it does as good of damage. At least not in my experience. The blinding feint + attack vitals combo also has the added benefit that your single target rotation also does decent AoE if you are surrounded by mobs. 

I don’t think katana is bad though. I do have a katana/Regen scrapper that I’m working on that I have been enjoying a lot. But why settle for one katana when you could have two 😜

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Saikochoro said:

I do think dual blades is better than katana. Katana does have a nice party type power to boost m/l defense, but I don’t think it does as good of damage. At least not in my experience. The blinding feint + attack vitals combo also has the added benefit that your single target rotation also does decent AoE if you are surrounded by mobs. 

I don’t think katana is bad though. I do have a katana/Regen scrapper that I’m working on that I have been enjoying a lot. But why settle for one katana when you could have two 😜

Honestly, I can’t argue with that logic 😂