Where do people usually slot Ascendency?

ZorkNemesis

27 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

That slotting I use only works for me on plant dom not controller because controllers get more value out of the coercive persuasion proc, doms dont need it at all. Coercive persuasion also offers zero range enhancement. The difference between a 50 ft SoC and 75 ft is pretty large. With control+assault set slotting opportunities I never have a hard time getting all 5 10% recharge bonuses as a dom, and my doms build s/l def with ice mastery for sleet. The ranged def from CP goes farther with a resist shield on a controller.

If you can make it work I say for go for it. On Plant Control specifically, due to the nature of Seeds of Confusion, I can see it working out if you can somehow still pick up the recharge you miss out on.  

I use it in Mass Confusion. I have confuse slotted with Coercive Persuasion already. Malaise confusion set has a damage proc and it disrupts the anti-aggro nature of the ability. Very helpful in solo clearing +4/8 which I do a lot : focus on one mob, while mass confusion works on the next one. I don't really care much for exp loss as the mob usually kills itself without me landing a hit. 

I don't get to stack the bonus +dmg, but whatever. 

I ended up putting it in arctic air on my ice/savage. Mediocre results.

I dunno, the dom ATOs are pretty flawed imo. It probably should have just been 1 stack of +50% damage. The only dom I reliably stack it on is my fire/fire with proc'd char, but that comes at the cost of giving up the set which given how useful +def is on a dom that is a big sacrifice. 

13 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

I dunno, the dom ATOs are pretty flawed imo. It probably should have just been 1 stack of +50% damage. The only dom I reliably stack it on is my fire/fire with proc'd char, but that comes at the cost of giving up the set which given how useful +def is on a dom that is a big sacrifice. 

I can stack it reliably on a Electric Dominator by dropping Static Field each time it is up. I'm not convinced it's optimal play to spend 2.2 seconds for the +Damage the proc provides, although SF stacked can Sleep and reSleep bosses so it's not a total waste. 

You're right about the Dominator ATOs being awkward. If the sets provided some damage and could be slotted in attacks like most the ATOs for most other classes they'd be much more useful. 

5 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

I can stack it reliably on a Electric Dominator by dropping Static Field each time it is up. I'm not convinced it's optimal play to spend 2.2 seconds for the +Damage the proc provides, although SF stacked can Sleep and reSleep bosses so it's not a total waste. 

You're right about the Dominator ATOs being awkward. If the sets provided some damage and could be slotted in attacks like most the ATOs for most other classes they'd be much more useful. 

But it only procs once off of each static field though right? So brief periods of double stack if you cast static right away?

The thing is it is a 6ppm that triple stacks. So if I had to guess the intent was that you'd put it in a low tier single target control (immob/hold?). The fact that so many people put it in aoe's (I've put it in seeds of confusion too) shows that it is a flawed design. It should absolutely be slottable in the assault sets, but would require a rework of what it enhances. Putting it in a mid/low tier attack would help out many doms. 

It actually provides quite a bit of +dam on my fire/fire because char is so fast it is a viable attack. i wouldn't want to lose that for the players that are getting good mileage out of it, but most doms are only seeing a single stack of it, which is likely well under what it was intended to do. 

Best place for Ascendancy of the Dominator on my Ice/Earth/Ice?

The proc goes into Arctic Air along with 5 Contagious Confusion (including the Contagious Confusion proc).

It triggers pretty reliably, I frequently see two stacks of +damage. I only really use the other parts of the set while I'm levelling, though. I don't chase Ranged Defense on Doms, I prefer going for S/L or Melee, because I tend to play Dominators that are best in the thick of things.

2 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

But it only procs once off of each static field though right? So brief periods of double stack if you cast static right away?

The thing is it is a 6ppm that triple stacks. So if I had to guess the intent was that you'd put it in a low tier single target control (immob/hold?). The fact that so many people put it in aoe's (I've put it in seeds of confusion too) shows that it is a flawed design. It should absolutely be slottable in the assault sets, but would require a rework of what it enhances. Putting it in a mid/low tier attack would help out many doms. 

It actually provides quite a bit of +dam on my fire/fire because char is so fast it is a viable attack. i wouldn't want to lose that for the players that are getting good mileage out of it, but most doms are only seeing a single stack of it, which is likely well under what it was intended to do. 

Yeah I think it only fires on first cast. If the psuedo pet occasionally fires it I haven't noticed. I use it because I'm playing an Elec/Psi and there aren't any other sources of +Damage, so even that little bit goes a long way. 

2 hours ago, Harakh said:

??? What bonuses are you referring to? I'm skipping 1 bonus being the 6th slot bonus in our above example, and thats with a non purple set because my build is maxed on purples bonuses.

Where are you getting your defence numbers? I'd love to see the build cause those numbers and I assume perma dom would be a pretty gimped build imo, if you can actually achieve them.

Mass hypnosis is by far not a waste of a power pick for MY play style.

"...to each their own"

I regret ever using this statement toward another cause it reads like such bs. The convo was healthy enough without useless sentiment.

Still is a healthy one unless you want to think it's not.  To each their own means exactly as it's stated. 

Was pointing out by not slotting both confuses to the max you're missing out on the full set on the purple one which would be 4% dmg, 10% recharge and 5% ranged defense along with that other 3.13% ranged defense and whatever other bonuses.  Between having the aoe hold which you can slot the purple hold set and proc out and Mass Confusion what more aoe control would you need?  I add in Terrify in my control build to fill in any gaps, a mass sleep that does no damage and is easily broken by teammates is not an important power for me to consider since the LRSF is so easy nowadays. 

You say you solo 4/8 content, well so do I.  When I do I'll not have to waste my time plucking away at the mobs.  With the defenses you can attain on that Nrg dom you can just herd them up tight and drop the hammer.

Just pointing out that I'm a full advocate for slotting as many great sets as possible and then pick and choose where to place your damage to the best effect.  

I'm on Excelsior if you'd like to venture to see my dom's defenses in action.   

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Yeah I think it only fires on first cast. If the psuedo pet occasionally fires it I haven't noticed. I use it because I'm playing an Elec/Psi and there aren't any other sources of +Damage, so even that little bit goes a long way. 

True. I think most doms would really benefit if they could double/triple stack it. +40-60% dam is nice on an AT with limited ways of self buffing damage. 

I wonder if we could convince the powers that be to remove Endurance Discount from the sets and replace with Damage. Then add global Endurance Discount to one or both of the procs. Endurance Discount is important for Dominators and this could rebalance the ATO without having to completely redo it. The End Cost redux would still exist but in a different form, in the proc. With lowered overall Endurance costs across their builds, Dominators would be less choked by difficulty running armor toggles relative to a Blaster.

image.png.b1a58eda70022727ceecf9a96c1a3be7.png 

Grasp of the Dominator on the other hand needs much bigger changes IMO to make it worthwhile.

image.png.19a96d3166d506a284d955ef562d78aa.png

The most merciful thing they could do here is copy set bonuses from the Defender set that provides +10 Recharge from 3 slots. Dominators are ravenous for recharge and this would be a game changer. 

Edited by oedipus_tex

1 hour ago, Mezmera said:

Still is a healthy one unless you want to think it's not.  To each their own means exactly as it's stated. 

Was pointing out by not slotting both confuses to the max you're missing out on the full set on the purple one which would be 4% dmg, 10% recharge and 5% ranged defense along with that other 3.13% ranged defense and whatever other bonuses.  Between having the aoe hold which you can slot the purple hold set and proc out and Mass Confusion what more aoe control would you need?  I add in Terrify in my control build to fill in any gaps, a mass sleep that does no damage and is easily broken by teammates is not an important power for me to consider since the LRSF is so easy nowadays. 

You say you solo 4/8 content, well so do I.  When I do I'll not have to waste my time plucking away at the mobs.  With the defenses you can attain on that Nrg dom you can just herd them up tight and drop the hammer.

Just pointing out that I'm a full advocate for slotting as many great sets as possible and then pick and choose where to place your damage to the best effect.  

I'm on Excelsior if you'd like to venture to see my dom's defenses in action.   

Killing a moment while in my frozen car heating up ... 

You're right the set bonuses from both fully slotted confuse powers are beneficial. So again, from your standing you're absolutely right.

My build is maxed on purples tho so I don't need to fully slot single target confuse as its the lesser used of the two. 

Mass hypnosis has it's places mainly solo-concept play for me. 10 years ago a younger lad playing a fire blaster teamed with a mind controller inside the Hollows cave system waiting for the rest of the team to show. Watching him use confuse and as I can recall a much faster recharging mass hypnosis was satisfying to a degree no other even more powerful sets can fulfill for me. Do i need MH? As easily lead to no. But I enjoy it, and can manage to get use of it.

I'd love to see your doms! I'll jump on later and try and catch up with you. 

... Dear Lord I'm getting old. Was more like 16 years ago hah!

Edited by Harakh

image.png.04ed478057818a73ab719505f04b29ea.png                    image.png.42c80ce1c325baca8986b52f21ef6e81.png

25 minutes ago, Harakh said:

Killing a moment while in my frozen car heating up ... 

You're right the set bonuses from both fully slotted confuse powers are beneficial. So again, from your standing you're absolutely right.

My build is maxed on purples tho so I don't need to fully slot single target confuse as its the lesser used of the two. 

Mass hypnosis has it's places mainly solo-concept play for me. 10 years ago a younger lad playing a fire blaster teamed with a mind controller inside the Hollows cave system waiting for the rest of the team to show. Watching him use confuse and as I can recall a much faster recharging mass hypnosis was satisfying to a degree no other even more powerful sets can fill that same space. Do i need MH? As easily lead to no. But I enjoy it, and can manage to get use of it.

I'd love to see your doms! I'll jump on later and try and catch up with you. 

Mass Hypno was a nice little power in its day, I even had it for a time once HC came around but the way people grind through stuff now and the additional survivability added in I just find it never factored in unless I wanted to sleep Ghost Widow or something which I can just drag Mesmerize out of retirement. 

Back before villains on my tank I watched a Mind Controller and was like wow you can do that?!  So when villains came about I adopted doms as my baby.  

Sure I'll be on Letifera then.  

14 hours ago, Mezmera said:

I hope you are not confusing them with me lol. Solo-ing as a mind/fire is a very different experience than going solo on mind/energy, especially with the lack of a decent AoE.

On my mind/energy, I had a lot damage luxuries thanks to Whirling Hands which in turn changed my build set up massively especially since energy likes to go up front and heavy. Being able slot in FF +rech was great advantage too, i was able to reach perma dom even at Synapse TF.

With my mind/fire, I opt for more range and have to play pick-a-part because combustion is bleh and fireball from the APP isn't enough to power through mobs before a potential cascade failure. I personally like /fire more because of looks.

On 2/14/2021 at 11:25 AM, ZorkNemesis said:

Just wondering as I ponder the bevy of Dominators I keep making, rolled a Fire/Dark and Elec/Earth in the last two weeks while also revisiting my Dark/Martial.  Where do people normally slot the Ascendency of the Dominator set?  I can't figure out if it's better to use it in a high-use power like the ST hold or if it's better going in an "opening" AoE control like a fear or sleep.  I know the set is worth having for the purple tier set bonuses (especially if the power lacks a purple set, like fears), but the proc of the stacking damage buff is kind of making me wonder if my choices are optimal or not.

As it stands my Dark/Martial has it in Fearsome Stare and my Elec/Earth has it in Static Field, but my Fire/Dark has it in Char (she uses Dominating Grasp in Flashfire for the extra stun magnitude benefit of the Fire Orb).

I usually slot it in the AoE immob

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

On my Fire/Psi, I have the 6 pieces slotted in Flashfire. I believe the Superior version, even with all the slotted recharge still has better than an 80% chance to proc (per target). Flashfire is one of those AoE powers that doesn't really benefit from a +Damage boost, IMO.

Flashfire is a good candidate for %damage procs, but... Ignoring somewhat typical franken-slotting in Bonfire, I felt I only had one primary/secondary power that I could 'afford' (from my Global Recharge 'budget') to frankenslot with a diversity of %damage procs while increasing the potential area of effect. I instead opted to use a couple of Hami-O Centrioles to increase the cone of Psychic Scream (from 60' to 80'+) and load it with the %damage procs (plus Ragnarok's %Knockdown) that could have gone into Flashfire. The total damage is ~5% less per target (as opposed to multi-slotting a specific set) but I feel like the increased cone size makes up for this. Obviously I'm relying on Global Accuracy and Recharge for this power by franken-slotting.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:22 PM, Frosticus said:

I put mine in AA, it does what I need to do, end redux, and set bonuses, that I was looking for. The +damage is a nice little thing, but nothing I really bother with too much.

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

• 3 weeks later
On 2/15/2021 at 3:02 PM, Harakh said:

I second this. Last weekend I played 3 respecs on my mind/nrg dom. The last spec I slotted 6 - ascendance in the single target hold. It procs real often. Seeing as it's the fastest casting single target hold, other power specs will proc a tiny bit better. I can concur I'm often running 1-2 stacks, and really not uncommon to stack 3. 

I'll third putting the set into your single target hold power.  I've primarily soloed two Doms to 50.  I generally fire my single target hole immediately whenever it is up, especially on my Gravity Dom, and it is not unusual to have three instances of the proc up at the same time.  

ST animation time/DPS of your Hold is supposed to be less than your weak t1 blast, so going all in on the mezzing with an ATO is the way to go. I have an issue with the other ATO set trying to work in the Orb proc in an aoe without fully slotting that set (usually stopping at 4 in the aoe immob, then a -res and dmg proc for the last two... even though I like the debilitative stun proc).

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2021 at 6:29 PM, oedipus_tex said:

I wonder if we could convince the powers that be to remove Endurance Discount from the sets and replace with Damage. Then add global Endurance Discount to one or both of the procs. Endurance Discount is important for Dominators and this could rebalance the ATO without having to completely redo it. The End Cost redux would still exist but in a different form, in the proc. With lowered overall Endurance costs across their builds, Dominators would be less choked by difficulty running armor toggles relative to a Blaster.

image.png.b1a58eda70022727ceecf9a96c1a3be7.png 

Grasp of the Dominator on the other hand needs much bigger changes IMO to make it worthwhile.

image.png.19a96d3166d506a284d955ef562d78aa.png

The most merciful thing they could do here is copy set bonuses from the Defender set that provides +10 Recharge from 3 slots. Dominators are ravenous for recharge and this would be a game changer. 

Biggest issue is too many 10 percent recharges. Perhaps make the 3rd bonus 6.25 recharge unboosted and 8.75 boosted. I don't think it's possible to stack 5 8.75 recharge bonuses.

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

On 2/16/2021 at 4:39 PM, DZKFire said:

I use it in Mass Confusion. I have confuse slotted with Coercive Persuasion already. Malaise confusion set has a damage proc and it disrupts the anti-aggro nature of the ability. Very helpful in solo clearing +4/8 which I do a lot : focus on one mob, while mass confusion works on the next one. I don't really care much for exp loss as the mob usually kills itself without me landing a hit. 

I don't get to stack the bonus +dmg, but whatever. 

Yup.  6-slot CP in Confuse and 6-Slot Ascendency (not Superior) in Mass Confusion.  Mass Hypnosis gets FH x 5 for the recharge bonus and placate (not the most helpful, but procs well).

formerly @JimmyVine (on Infinity & Victory)

currently @Cenozoic (on Reunion)

Cenozoic (Mind/Psionic Dominator) ... Los Infiernos (Fire/Devices Blaster) ... Slof (Stone/Spines Tanker) ... Zen's Furnace (Illusion/Dark Controller) ... Cryovolcano (Earth/Cold Controller)

• 2 years later

I will have to get back to all this, because I can't do it now. But I am also an RP character so I do have some power requirements. Unless I split builds. And if you are perma-dom build, you shouldn't be hit hardly ever. Making defense a little less important and I mean a couple purples never hurt anyone. but I will try to redo it.