/powexec_location cursor?

Currently, the /powexec_location [loc] [power] command allows for location-based powers to be activated without the use of an actual click in a variety of ways:

• Activated on one's self
  • Activated on one's target
  • Activated on a set distance

It'd be nice if it was possible to use one's mouse cursor as an additional way of determining where said power could be activated as well. This would be useful for powers that benefit from a more varied positioning than the current parameters allow for, such as:

• Using Teleport to move in any direction instead of a separate bind for each
  • Placing down patch powers more optimally

Granted, this is pretty low priority: the main reason that I'm proposing this is because I mainly use a touchpad, and clicks are a little inconvenient - if it were possible to activate a location based power by pressing its relevant bind twice (instead of causing it to deactivate its location reticle), it'd have much the same desired effect as this proposal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackfeather said:

Currently, the /powexec_location [loc] [power] command allows for location-based powers to be activated without the use of an actual click in a variety of ways:

• Activated on one's self
  • Activated on one's target
  • Activated on a set distance

It'd be nice if it was possible to use one's mouse cursor as an additional way of determining where said power could be activated as well. This would be useful for powers that benefit from a more varied positioning than the current parameters allow for, such as:

• Using Teleport to move in any direction instead of a separate bind for each
  • Placing down patch powers more optimally

Granted, this is pretty low priority: the main reason that I'm proposing this is because I mainly use a touchpad, and clicks are a little inconvenient - if it were possible to activate a location based power by pressing its relevant bind twice (instead of causing it to deactivate its location reticle), it'd have much the same desired effect as this proposal.

I do that with my teleport. I set it for leftdoubleclick and it TPs me to that location. I could do that for any location based power

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

I think this is the bind I use:

/bind LeftDoubleClick powexecname Teleport

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

I just tested it, it only works conventiently with LeftDoubleClick. I tried RightDoubleClick to see if I can get the same functionality, but instead it only activated the power but I still needed to drop the power with a left mouse click. I'm no expert in this area though. You might want to try chatting with @Shenanigunner, they are far more familiar with binds/macros.

Looks like you can do things like CNRL+LeftDoubleClick, ALT+LeftDoubleClick, and SHIFT+LeftDoubleClick. Not sure if that would help with your tablet use though.

2 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I just tested it, it only works conventiently with LeftDoubleClick. I tried RightDoubleClick to see if I can get the same functionality, but instead it only activated the power but I still needed to drop the power with a left mouse click. I'm no expert in this area though. You might want to try chatting with @Shenanigunner, they are far more familiar with binds/macros.

I see...that's unfortunately not quite what I'd like - ideally, I'd like to be able to properly activate a location-based power without actually clicking, e.g. activating a patch power by pressing the key, instead of having the location indicator pop up. This is mostly due to not really having a mouse that I can click with: my setup is pretty much just keyboard and touchpad, so I try to minimise clicks where I can. Thanks for the suggestion though!

10 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

I see...that's unfortunately not quite what I'd like - ideally, I'd like to be able to properly activate a location-based power without actually clicking, e.g. activating a patch power by pressing the key, instead of having the location indicator pop up. This is mostly due to not really having a mouse that I can click with: my setup is pretty much just keyboard and touchpad, so I try to minimise clicks where I can. Thanks for the suggestion though!

How does your tablet respond to a double-tap? Is it treated as a LeftDoubleClick, or something else?

Apologies, reading comprehension is not my strong suit. You were saying touchpad and I kept reading it as tablet (which is entirely caused by my kids screaming for their tablets all day). Ok...so what does a double-tap on your touchpad get treated as? It could be a solution for one Location based power using a bind, but likely won't do much for multiples (like Trick Arrow).

7 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Apologies, reading comprehension is not my strong suit. You were saying touchpad and I kept reading it as tablet (which is entirely caused by my kids screaming for their tablets all day). Ok...so what does a double-tap on your touchpad get treated as? It could be a solution for one Location based power using a bind, but likely won't do much for multiples (like Trick Arrow).

Oh, a double tap is treated as a double click, yes. But indeed, for powersets with multiple location based powers, that doesn't quite work - plus it also means that I'm still using the touchpad to click on something, as opposed to activating it with a keybind. Currently I can use /powexec_loc target to approximate that, so it's not too big of a deal...but being able to specify locations with more granularity would be nice.

1 minute ago, Blackfeather said:

Oh, a double tap is treated as a double click, yes. But indeed, for powersets with multiple location based powers, that doesn't quite work - plus it also means that I'm still using the touchpad to click on something, as opposed to activating it with a keybind. Currently I can use /powexec_loc target to approximate that, so it's not too big of a deal...but being able to specify locations with more granularity would be nice.

So you're setting up your cursor before hand, then activating the power instead of activating the power then using the cursor?

1 minute ago, Bopper said:

So you're setting up your cursor before hand, then activating the power instead of activating the power then using the cursor?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to activate patch powers without having to click to do so - so with /powexec_location cursor Tar Patch for instance, said patch power would immediately go off at the cursor's location if it were in a valid position, as opposed to using a regular keybind which merely summons a placement reticle.

Alternatively, a way to activate said patch power using a keypress instead of clicking would work well too.

3 minutes ago, Blackfeather said:

Ideally, I'd like to be able to activate patch powers without having to click to do so - so with /powexec_location cursor Tar Patch for instance, said patch power would immediately go off at the cursor's location if it were in a valid position, as opposed to using a regular keybind which merely summons a placement reticle.

Alternatively, a way to activate said patch power using a keypress instead of clicking would work well too.

I'm asking others about it now, but I'm curious if there's a way to utilize the new /interact slash command. My guess is no, it probably looks for things near by that you can interact with, as opposed to using your cursor as a mouse click. If I have any other ideas or discoveries, i'll let you know.

• Like 1

I came to the forums today to try to find this very same functionality. I'd find it very useful for a teleport bind - I use "T" or "Shift+T" for activating my travel powers, and it would be great to be able to just tap T, T, T to teleport long distances instead of needing to press T, Click, T, Click, T, Click. I couldn't think of a more first-world problem to have, but it would be convenient if it was possible.

1 hour ago, Fade said:

I came to the forums today to try to find this very same functionality. I'd find it very useful for a teleport bind - I use "T" or "Shift+T" for activating my travel powers, and it would be great to be able to just tap T, T, T to teleport long distances instead of needing to press T, Click, T, Click, T, Click. I couldn't think of a more first-world problem to have, but it would be convenient if it was possible.

You can set it up to TP a max direction. Something like this:

/bind numpadenter powexec_location forward:max Combat Teleport

17 hours ago, Fade said:

It's also possible to use Shift + Click to teleport to a specific location, if you don't mind the whole clicking aspect, not sure if that's something you'd like though:

/bind LSHIFT+LBUTTON powexec_name Teleport

Of course, if you're looking for something completely click free, /powexec_location is definitely your best choice at the moment.

21 hours ago, Bopper said:

You can set it up to TP a max direction. Something like this:

/bind numpadenter powexec_location forward:max Combat Teleport

4 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

It's also possible to use Shift + Click to teleport to a specific location, if you don't mind the whole clicking aspect, not sure if that's something you'd like though:

/bind LSHIFT+LBUTTON powexec_name Teleport

Of course, if you're looking for something completely click free, /powexec_location is definitely your best choice at the moment.

Both of these would work pretty well, and I definitely have no problem using the camera:max option for that, but a cursor-targeted bind would be ideal for that and also ground-targeted attacks in some situations where I don't want to click on somebody.

13 minutes ago, Fade said:

Both of these would work pretty well, and I definitely have no problem using the camera:max option for that, but a cursor-targeted bind would be ideal for that and also ground-targeted attacks in some situations where I don't want to click on somebody.

Agreed, I think a cursor option would be ideal. I hope they can do it, they should be able to do it, just not sure if or when it could get done.

• Like 1

I tried a variety of control options for Combat Teleport, and settled on Ctrl-Lclick as the best option for me. I use shift-click for normal Teleport, so moving to ctrl for the combat variant feels fairly natural. 

I also used powexec_location target to set Combat Teleport to take me to my selected target whenever I press both Lshift and Lctrl together.

It would be neat to have a single button teleport to cursor without needing a click, but there are still pretty good options if one doesn't mind a click.

Teleportation Targeting & /powexec_location

• Added a "cursor" targeting mode to /powexec_location
    • It behaves as if the power was activated with a click at the current mouse cursor location
    • This will allow you to quickly activate teleport with a hotkey without needing to click
  • Significantly improved the targeting cursor for teleportation powers and it's now much easier to reliably choose the desired destination
    • The 'red ring of doom' should rarely appear now, and it should be almost impossible to have it fall back to the character's feet
  • Fixed issues with two-side polygon collision that prevented the use of teleportation powers in a few places, the most notable being the outer ring of the Chantry / Storm Palace

Omigod, you guys!

Thank you so much for taking up this suggestion in the i27p2 beta patch notes, devs. Keep up the great work! 🥰

• Like 1