Rad Armor vs Invuln

StriderIV

I'm devloping a Superman type hero TANKER and I want to go with either Invuln or Rad (I can make Rad work as Solar Energy :P).

I'm just curious though: Between Rad Armor and Invuln, which do you feel is the absolute toughest for most endgame content?

How I see it so far:

Invuln:
+ Solid resists across the board. Psi hole can be plugged with impervium armors.
+ Easier to cap some defenses than on Rad.
+ Good DDR to stop defense failure.
- Very little endurance management (can be fixed with IO's)
- No damage added (PBAOE moves)

Rad Armor:
+ Very strong resists across the board. Only hole is cold, which is a rare damage type.
+ Built in heal and absorb for some extra tankiness.
+ 2 PBAOE moves (one provides -regen to enemies).
- Tougher to cap defenses on Rad. Other than Melee/lethal, you'll mostly be a full resist set.
- Little DDR, so those defenses you do have can crack easier.

Does anyone have experience with both in endgame content? I know this is a real Sophie's Choice 😂 any big factors that I'm leaving out?

Edited by StriderIV

Just for the DDR I'd say Invuln. Well, DDR and the -large- influx of defense when surrounded by enemies which is when we want defense. Who cares if defense goes the soft caps when only 1-4 mobs are left? Once 1-4 mobs are left they simply don't swing fast enough to outpace natural regen.

Invuln does it all. Rad is a tough egg easily cracked by defense debuffs since for some weird reason it is allowed for -defense debuffs- to melt -resistance- sets. But Rad can survive thanks to the heals and shields too.

But since you've asked something like Invul/Rad Melee. Live off Recovery Serums until your slotting is in place while Rad Melee helps with some healing.

I'm not sure if Rad Melee and farting cloud gases fits your idea (it's a pretty damn useful and powerful gas cloud that nearly makes the real reason to take Rad). I'd personally use Claws, but that's zero superman like.

You don't necessarily -need- Super-Strength though. Just because it's written on the box it doesn't mean you need to go for it. Even Claws you can choose the smallest weapon model then try some trickery with gloves and try to hide them, though personally I love the vanguard energy weapon skin from claws that sprout from the forearms. But it's not very superman-ish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Just for the DDR I'd say Invuln. Well, DDR and the -large- influx of defense when surrounded by enemies which is when we want defense. Who cares if defense goes the soft caps when only 1-4 mobs are left? Once 1-4 mobs are left they simply don't swing fast enough to outpace natural regen.

Invuln does it all. Rad is a tough egg easily cracked by defense debuffs since for some weird reason it is allowed for -defense debuffs- to melt -resistance- sets. But Rad can survive thanks to the heals and shields too.

But since you've asked something like Invul/Rad Melee. Live off Recovery Serums until your slotting is in place while Rad Melee helps with some healing.

I'm not sure if Rad Melee and farting cloud gases fits your idea (it's a pretty damn useful and powerful gas cloud that nearly makes the real reason to take Rad). I'd personally use Claws, but that's zero superman like.

You don't necessarily -need- Super-Strength though. Just because it's written on the box it doesn't mean you need to go for it. Even Claws you can choose the smallest weapon model then try some trickery with gloves and try to hide them, though personally I love the vanguard energy weapon skin from claws that sprout from the forearms. But it's not very superman-ish.

Thanks Sov. That makes sense about the DDR. I like the heals Rad brings, but not HAVING to heal I guess is even better 😂 It's cool you mention Rad Melee, since I was thinking of pairing that with Invuln for the heal it brings (when things line up). The other 2 I was thinking that could be "Superman" esque, other than SS, are Street Justice and Energy Melee. Energy Melee seems to have the OOMPH. Street Justice is just extremely cool 😛

+1 for the farting gas noises as well 😂

Edited by StriderIV

18 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Thanks Sov. That makes sense about the DDR. I like the heals Rad brings, but not HAVING to heal I guess is even better 😂 It's cool you mention Rad Melee, since I was thinking of pairing that with Invuln for the heal it brings (when things line up). The other 2 I was thinking that could be "Superman" esque, other than SS, are Street Justice and Energy Melee. Energy Melee seems to have the OOMPH. Street Justice is just extremely cool 😛

EM definitely has the oomph and Invuln without something to boost damage can make good use of it. The AoE isn't all that bad if you can squeeze Power Crash since it recharges fast enough to allow PC, Whirling, PC. Even for a Tanker and on Invuln it's enough to down the minions and hurt the rest.

Rad Melee has horrid animations and way too lenghty ones down the line. But it does have a beefy heal. The heal is not -that- random since you can force it with Fusion. Fusion, <whatever> (forces contamination because of Fusion), Radiation Siphon (eats contamination which triggers the heal), <whatever> (forces contamination again), Radiation Siphon (second heal). You can pretty much start every fight like that and have two heals to counter the alpha without relying on RNG.

I'm currently leveling StJ (with Fire Armor, of course) and it's a bit clunky because of the spread. Rib Cracker is beautiful but doesn't hit particularly hard, and then nothing to alleviate this until level 35 and then 38. That's a lot of leveling to be spamming a T1 and T2. Burn carries it but with Invuln you won't have that. Should be fine if you're always teaming up.

I've been re-thinking the build to include Sweeping Cross instead of Heavy Blow. It would lose the FF in Heavy Blow for leveling and exemplaring, but SC would give an early AoE and combo spender.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

EM definitely has the oomph and Invuln without something to boost damage can make good use of it. The AoE isn't all that bad if you can squeeze Power Crash since it recharges fast enough to allow PC, Whirling, PC. Even for a Tanker and on Invuln it's enough to down the minions and hurt the rest.

Rad Melee has horrid animations and way too lenghty ones down the line. But it does have a beefy heal. The heal is not -that- random since you can force it with Fusion. Fusion, <whatever> (forces contamination because of Fusion), Radiation Siphon (eats contamination which triggers the heal), <whatever> (forces contamination again), Radiation Siphon (second heal). You can pretty much start every fight like that and have two heals to counter the alpha without relying on RNG.

I'm currently leveling StJ (with Fire Armor, of course) and it's a bit clunky because of the spread. Rib Cracker is beautiful but doesn't hit particularly hard, and then nothing to alleviate it until level 35 and then 38. That's a lot of leveling to be spamming a T1 and T2. Burn carries it but with Invuln you won't have that. Should be fine if you're always teaming up.

I've been re-thinking the build to include Sweeping Cross instead of Heavy Blow. It would lose the FF in Heavy Blow for leveling and exemplaring, but SC would give an early AoE and combo spender.

Man, I FEEL ya on the Rad Melee lengthy animations. I was thinking of trying to give it a fair shake, since I've only used it on my Rad/Fire farmer, and my rotation basically only uses 3 attacks + Burn. I don't even have Rad Siphon on that toon.

EM, I didn't know if the health cost on some moves would HURT it on invuln. But it seems that may be negligible. The animations are probably the most "Superman" after super strength.

Stj is interesting. It does seem FA would be great with Burn really filling the attack chain. I do team mostly, so it might not impact me too much. I could always just grab both AOE's (Sweeping Cross and Spinning Strike) since they probably have more value on a Tanker. I have neither on my StJ scrapper.

By chance, have you ever seen the anime My Hero Academia? Their "Superman" type hero in it is called All Might, and he would definitely be Invuln/Street Justice 😂

1 minute ago, StriderIV said:

Man, I FEEL ya on the Rad Melee lengthy animations. I was thinking of trying to give it a fair shake, since I've only used it on my Rad/Fire farmer, and my rotation basically only uses 3 attacks + Burn. I don't even have Rad Siphon on that toon.

EM, I didn't know if the health cost on some moves would HURT it on invuln. But it seems that may be negligible. The animations are probably the most "Superman" after super strength.

Stj is interesting. It does seem FA would be great with Burn really filling the attack chain. I do team mostly, so it might not impact me too much. I could always just grab both AOE's (Sweeping Cross and Spinning Strike) since they probably have more value on a Tanker. I have neither on my StJ scrapper.

By chance, have you ever seen the anime My Hero Academia? Their "Superman" type hero in it is called All Might, and he would definitely be Invuln/Street Justice 😂

Yeah, I read the manga. Definitely StJ for him and his successor. 'Our' super man is more of a brawler when ever a writer forgets he has had extensive martial training.

StJ has been nice. It's easy to get an attack rotation going in the early levels And I can say it hits deceptively hard. Spinning Strike has enough radius for me and with three combos is okay in damage. I don't really trust Mids so I will be subjecting the character to comparison tests against MA once it's at 50.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Yeah, I read the manga. Definitely StJ for him and his successor. 'Our' super man is more of a brawler when ever a writer forgets he has had extensive martial training.

StJ has been nice. It's easy to get an attack rotation going in the early levels And I can say it hits deceptively hard. Spinning Strike has enough radius for me and with three combos is okay in damage. I don't really trust Mids so I will be subjecting the character to comparison tests against MA once it's at 50.

My man! haha so you know 😛 yeah, much more of a brawler. Wish they put into practice all the hand to hand training supes has actually had. StJ COULD make sense if they did that.

However, Crushing Uppercut definitely has a UNITED STATES OF SMASH feel to it :p. Honestly, any of the main power sets could work as a One For All successor. Just a new quirk 😛 I'm excited to see how your Fire/StJ stacks up to MA. Any early feelings on it?

Edited by StriderIV

2 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

My man! haha so you know 😛 yeah, much more of a brawler. Wish they put into practice all the hand to hand training supes has actually had. StJ COULD make sense if they did that.

However, Crushing Uppercut definitely has a UNITED STATES OF SMASH feel to it :p. Honestly, any of the main power sets could work as a One For All successor. Just a new quirk 😛 I'm excited to see how your Fire/StJ stacks up to MA. Any early feelings on it?

Awkward. Early Build-Up replacing early AoE is a bit of a wash... -with- Burn to replace that lack of AoE. BU + Burn kills half a pack so BU or Dragon Tail is kinda the same honestly. The single target definitely suffers. I won't wax more poetic on the animations which are extra sweet compared to MA but Shin Breaker -definitely- would have gone to level 26 to spread out the set's hard hitters.

Dragon Tail and Spinning Strike are a bit of a wash as well. DT animations a sliver faster, ST hits a bit harder on three combo points.

Combo points add a layer of awkwardness when we have our finisher ready to be used but not three combo points (easy to happen since things recharge fast but if we use extra clicks (heal, BU, FE, Consume, even Hasten). I find the combo points don't add enough damage to matter much and tend to just ignore them. If I have the combo points it's cool, if not the skill goes off anyway.

Back when I tried it on a Stalker, I think it was, I noticed I would hit a -1 lieutenant with Crushing Upper and no combo points and leave it on a sliver of HP, then I would do the same but on three points and the mob would also be alive on a sliver of HP. After mathing it up looking at the combat log there -was- a damage increase but minimal. On the long term it remains a damage increase though, but I bring this up to say I feel it better not to be a slave of combo points. Better throw out more Spinning Strikes in an AoE situation or more Crushing Impacts than to delay them.

Speaking of CU it has some very nice damage proc interactions to it does about 150 damage more (per mids, I need to reach 50 and test this with in-game numbers) than Crippling Axe kick. Without Burn there would be an awkward 2.5-ish second gap that could be filled with Spinning Strike to use up those combo points... but then CU is up and now it has no combo points to use because Spinning Strike's much lower damage  consumed them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Speaking of CU it has some very nice damage proc interactions to it does about 150 damage more (per mids, I need to reach 50 and test this with in-game numbers) than Crippling Axe kick. Without Burn there would be an awkward 2.5-ish second gap that could be filled with Spinning Strike to use up those combo points... but then CU is up and now it has no combo points to use because Spinning Strike's much lower damage  consumed them.

THIS I feel is always going to be the giant dilemma when playing StJ. Spending the points on Spinning Strike might leave you up the creek without a paddle for CU. I won't if using CU as a Proc Bomb would negate this a bit?

Just now, StriderIV said:

THIS I feel is always going to be the giant dilemma when playing StJ. Spending the points on Spinning Strike might leave you up the creek without a paddle for CU. I won't if using CU as a Proc Bomb would negate this a bit?

Spinning does less than half the damage of CU. Looking at my current build Spinning does 240 damage with three combo points where CU does 740 with three damage procs (but I prefer slotting a FF proc with 89% chance to go off in order to accelerate cooldowns so 676).

You can go around this by switching the order in which you use the skills. AoE just spam Spinning Strike. ST use Spinning -after- CU (ergo before starting to accrue combo points). The 2.5 gap gets filled regardless but now your three combos points are not used.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Spinning does less than half the damage of CU. Looking at my current build Spinning does 240 damage with three combo points where CU does 740 with three damage procs (but I prefer slotting a FF proc with 89% chance to go off in order to accelerate cooldowns so 676).

You can go around this by switching the order in which you use the skills. AoE just spam Spinning Strike. ST use Spinning -after- CU (ergo before starting to accrue combo points). The 2.5 gap gets filled regardless but now your three combos points are not used.

Well, that sounds like the most optimal way to deal with that 😂 or you can just go Fire Armor like you said and use burn to fill the gap.

4 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Well, that sounds like the most optimal way to deal with that 😂 or you can just go Fire Armor like you said and use burn to fill the gap.

And instead of 246 you get 387 + double chance of procs going off, yeah. But if wanting to use something else than Fire Armor then Spinning Strike or Sweeping Cross is acceptable. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sovera said:

And instead of 246 you get 387 + double chance of procs going off, yeah. But if wanting to use something else than Fire Armor then Spinning Strike or Sweeping Cross is acceptable. 

Yeah, looks like if you went Fire you could just totally skip sweeping strike. Def pick up if Invuln or something though 

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

The widow claws option doesn't extend the claws on Brutes.  Perhaps that would work 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

Combo points add a layer of awkwardness when we have our finisher ready to be used but not three combo points (easy to happen since things recharge fast but if we use extra clicks (heal, BU, FE, Consume, even Hasten). I find the combo points don't add enough damage to matter much and tend to just ignore them. If I have the combo points it's cool, if not the skill goes off anyway.

I have two SJ characters (one Scrapper, one Stalker) and while I like the set, I also ignore the combo points. If I happen to be targeting a hard target when they come up... I will hold off until Crushing Uppercut is ready... but for many situations it is just an annoyance for me to pay attention to them. YMMV.

Invuln/EM is a pretty safe build, and the new EM modifications )+tanker updates) have improved it. The pom-poms are far less visually annoying than the Rad Armor, IMO.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tidge said:

I have two SJ characters (one Scrapper, one Stalker) and while I like the set, I also ignore the combo points. If I happen to be targeting a hard target when they come up... I will hold off until Crushing Uppercut is ready... but for many situations it is just an annoyance for me to pay attention to them. YMMV.

Invuln/EM is a pretty safe build, and the new EM modifications )+tanker updates) have improved it. The pom-poms are far less visually annoying than the Rad Armor, IMO.

Good to know! Yeah, I actually HAVE an Invuln/EM in the higher levels who I could move around to be more of a Superman type. Look wise (for powers), it is probably the most accurate.

Dark Melee is also worth considering.  It too is a punching set, and with the right colors it looks like secondary super speed punches while not being annoyingly 'dark'-ish.  There are the weird alien tentacles you'll be summoning.  Its heal is more reliable than Rad's. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 minute ago, Heraclea said:

Dark Melee is also worth considering.  It too is a punching set, and with the right colors it looks like secondary super speed punches while not being annoyingly 'dark'-ish.  There are the weird alien tentacles you'll be summoning.  Its heal is more reliable than Rad's. 

True. I have a Dark Melee/Shield Scrapper that I adore. I could see DM working with either Rad or Invuln. Just theory crafting, it seems like Invuln/DM could be the tankiest thing in the game outside of Granite haha.

I'm sure Rad/DM would as well. Idk if the multiple heals would be overkill though.

8 hours ago, StriderIV said:

True. I have a Dark Melee/Shield Scrapper that I adore. I could see DM working with either Rad or Invuln. Just theory crafting, it seems like Invuln/DM could be the tankiest thing in the game outside of Granite haha.

I'm sure Rad/DM would as well. Idk if the multiple heals would be overkill though.

I recently made a DM/INV tanker. It was inspired by the show Critical Role, which I recently discovered. I created this tanker to be what I imagine to be the manifestation of the greatsword Craven Edge.

It is pretty beastly.  I decided to go full tanker on this one and therefore didn’t put two procs in attacks or chase extreme recharge for example. I don’t have my build in front of me, but I was able to get my psi resist to a respectable level.  It has no other weaknesses. 

Dark melee fills in the healing gap and provide some extra endurance tools as well. The to-hit debuffs stack nicely with invulnerabilities defense. Soul drain also covers the lack of offensive bonuses in invulnerability.  A fully saturated soul drain powered shadow maul on a mob is very satisfying. It almost funny that the enemy mobs think they have a chance against my tanker. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Saikochoro said:

I recently made a DM/INV tanker. It was inspired by the show Critical Role, which I recently discovered. I created this tanker to be what I imagine to be the manifestation of the greatsword Craven Edge.

It is pretty beastly.  I decided to go full tanker on this one and therefore didn’t put two procs in attacks or chase extreme recharge for example. I don’t have my build in front of me, but I was able to get my psi resist to a respectable level.  It has no other weaknesses. 

Dark melee fills in the healing gap and provide some extra endurance tools as well. The to-hit debuffs stack nicely with invulnerabilities defense. Soul drain also covers the lack of offensive bonuses in invulnerability.  A fully saturated soul drain powered shadow maul on a mob is very satisfying. It almost funny that the enemy mobs think they have a chance against my tanker. 

Haha well this does sound amazing 😂 Dark does seem to really cover Invulns weaknesses. If you ever find that build, I’d like to see it =P

I also just looked up Critical Role, and it seems awesome!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderIV said:

Haha well this does sound amazing 😂 Dark does seem to really cover Invulns weaknesses. If you ever find that build, I’d like to see it =P

I also just looked up Critical Role, and it seems awesome!

I will share 3 builds with you.  One is my Craven Edge Inv/DM build.  The other two are actually Shield/DM builds.  I know you weren't asking about shield, but your question about inv/dm being the tankiest thing besides granite made me think what I could do if I shifted the focus of my dm/shield build.  The reason I am sharing those is because I wanted to see the toughness of shield compared to Inv.

Craven Edge:  Inv/DM:

-Over soft-cap typed defense when Invicibility if fully saturated (being a tanker I expect to be saturated most of the time).

-Great resists including respectable toxic/psi resists.

-Capped HP.

-Not the highest damage tanker around due to lower recharge, but pretty much unkillable

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Invulnerability
Secondary Power Set: Dark Melee
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Resist Physical Damage -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), ImpArm-ResPsi(48)
Level 1: Shadow Punch -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 4: Dull Pain -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(9), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 6: Smite -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(17)
Level 8: Shadow Maul -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(19), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Arm-Acc/Rchg(21), Arm-Dam%(21)
Level 10: Resist Elements -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(27), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(29), ImpArm-ResPsi(48)
Level 12: Unyielding -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(40), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(47), UnbGrd-Max HP%(49)
Level 14: Resist Energies -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 16: Siphon Life -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(34), Prv-Heal(34)
Level 18: Invincibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(36), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(43), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(25)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46), ImpArm-ResPsi(49)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(37), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 30: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Soul Drain -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 35: Dark Consumption -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(42), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(45), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Hct-Acc/Rchg(45), Hct-Dam%(46), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Unstoppable -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(47)
Level 49: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(23)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
------------

Snapshot of totals (note invincibility is saturated for these totals).  Also includes 1 stack of ATO.

image.png.377ed0d74ac0d950294969ae5ad45b32.png

Shield/DM damage focus (the build I actually use):

-Softcapped positional defense (covers psi as long as it is not non-vectored).

-Good resists that are supplemented with rune of protection 50% uptime leading to almost capped resists across the board with 2 ATO stacks.

-Decent offensive focus with extra procs in main attacks and respectable recharge.

-I still rate this as nigh unkillable.

Spoiler

Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Sorcery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-ResDam(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(48)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), RedFrt-Def(23), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(25), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(25), RedFrt-EndRdx(47)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Arm-Acc/Rchg(13), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Arm-Dam%(15), Obl-%Dam(15)
Level 6: Smite -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(11)
Level 8: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 10: True Grit -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34), DctWnd-Heal(37), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(37), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(40)
Level 12: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(17)
Level 16: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Siphon Life -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(19), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal(23)
Level 20: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), GldArm-3defTpProc(45), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(46), RedFrt-Def(46)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(31)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(31), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), GssSynFr--ToHit(33)
Level 30: Spirit Ward -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 32: Arcane Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Rune of Protection -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(36), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(48)
Level 38: Dark Consumption -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(39), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(39), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/End(39), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(40), PwrTrns-+Heal(40)
Level 41: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(42), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Dam%(43), TchofDth-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 47: Grant Cover -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 49: Super Jump -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface 
------------

Snapshot of totals not including rune (just add 30% to resists to see where they end up with rune active).  Includes 1 stack of ATO.

image.png.6e3ca4ff6eb8238984e258ddbf456110.png

Shield/DM:  Defensive focus (theory build to compare to inv).

-Over softcapped positional defenses.

-Great resists.  Did not grab rune to supplement, but rather increased baseline resists.

-Lower damage due to less procs and quite a bit less recharge.  Still between soul drain & AAO this still should do good damage.

-Really was just a test to see how it compares baseline to Inv with grabbing rune.

Spoiler

Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-ResDam(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(48)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(23), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(25), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(45)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Arm-Acc/Rchg(13), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(15), Arm-Dam%(15)
Level 6: Smite -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(11)
Level 10: True Grit -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34), DctWnd-Heal(37), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(37), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(40)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(39), RedFrt-Def(39), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39)
Level 18: Siphon Life -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal(23)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45), GldArm-3defTpProc(45), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(33), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40), ShlWal-Def(46), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(27), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(31)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(31), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(31), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(33), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(36), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(36), ShlWal-Def(36)
Level 32: Touch of Fear -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Char -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Dark Consumption -- Obl-Acc/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), FuroftheG-Dam/Rech(47), FuroftheG-Dam/End/Rech(47), FuroftheG-Acc/End/Rech(48)
Level 41: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(42), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(43), Hct-Dam%(43)
Level 47: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Pnc-Heal/+End(17)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3), PwrTrns-EndMod(17)
------------

Snapshot of totals with 1 stack of ATO.

image.png.75919f9dd13b74c402814e2767f33a24.png

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Saikochoro said:

I will share 3 builds with you.  One is my Craven Edge Inv/DM build.  The other two are actually Shield/DM builds.  I know you weren't asking about shield, but your question about inv/dm being the tankiest thing besides granite made me think what I could do if I shifted the focus of my dm/shield build.  The reason I am sharing those is because I wanted to see the toughness of shield compared to Inv.

Craven Edge:  Inv/DM:

-Over soft-cap typed defense when Invicibility if fully saturated (being a tanker I expect to be saturated most of the time).

-Great resists including respectable toxic/psi resists.

-Capped HP.

-Not the highest damage tanker around due to lower recharge, but pretty much unkillable

Hide contents

Level 50 Natural Tanker
Primary Power Set: Invulnerability
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Resist Physical Damage -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), ImpArm-ResPsi(48)
Level 2: Temp Invulnerability -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 4: Dull Pain -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(9), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(13)
Level 6: Smite -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(17)
Level 8: Shadow Maul -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(19), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Arm-Acc/Rchg(21), Arm-Dam%(21)
Level 10: Resist Elements -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(27), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(29), ImpArm-ResPsi(48)
Level 12: Unyielding -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(29), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(40), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(47), UnbGrd-Max HP%(49)
Level 14: Resist Energies -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(31), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 16: Siphon Life -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(34), Prv-Heal(34)
Level 18: Invincibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(36), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(43), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43)
Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(25)
Level 24: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46), ImpArm-ResPsi(49)
Level 28: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(37), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 30: Tough Hide -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Soul Drain -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 35: Dark Consumption -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(42), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(45), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Hct-Acc/Rchg(45), Hct-Dam%(46), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Unstoppable -- ImpArm-ResPsi(A)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(47)
Level 49: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(23)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
------------

Snapshot of totals (note invincibility is saturated for these totals).  Also includes 1 stack of ATO.

image.png.377ed0d74ac0d950294969ae5ad45b32.png

Shield/DM damage focus (the build I actually use):

-Softcapped positional defense (covers psi as long as it is not non-vectored).

-Good resists that are supplemented with rune of protection 50% uptime leading to almost capped resists across the board with 2 ATO stacks.

-Decent offensive focus with extra procs in main attacks and respectable recharge.

-I still rate this as nigh unkillable.

Reveal hidden contents

Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Power Pool: Sorcery

Hero Profile:
Level 2: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), RedFrt-Def(23), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(25), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(25), RedFrt-EndRdx(47)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Arm-Acc/Rchg(13), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Arm-Dam%(15), Obl-%Dam(15)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(17)
Level 18: Siphon Life -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(19), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal(23)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), GldArm-3defTpProc(45), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(46), RedFrt-Def(46)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(31), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), GssSynFr--ToHit(33)
Level 30: Spirit Ward -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 32: Arcane Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Rune of Protection -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(36), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(36), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(48)
Level 38: Dark Consumption -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(39), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(39), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/End(39), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(40), PwrTrns-+Heal(40)
Level 41: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(42), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Dam%(43), TchofDth-Dam%(43)
Level 47: Grant Cover -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
------------

Snapshot of totals not including rune (just add 30% to resists to see where they end up with rune active).  Includes 1 stack of ATO.

image.png.6e3ca4ff6eb8238984e258ddbf456110.png

Shield/DM:  Defensive focus (theory build to compare to inv).

-Over softcapped positional defenses.

-Great resists.  Did not grab rune to supplement, but rather increased baseline resists.

-Lower damage due to less procs and quite a bit less recharge.  Still between soul drain & AAO this still should do good damage.

-Really was just a test to see how it compares baseline to Inv with grabbing rune.

Reveal hidden contents

Level 50 Mutation Tanker
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 2: Battle Agility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(23), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(25), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(45)
Level 4: Shadow Maul -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Arm-Acc/Rchg(13), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(15), Arm-Dam%(15)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- Rct-ResDam%(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(39), RedFrt-Def(39), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(39)
Level 18: Siphon Life -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal(23)
Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(43), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45), GldArm-3defTpProc(45), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(46)
Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(33), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40), ShlWal-Def(46), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 28: Soul Drain -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(31), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(31), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(33), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(36), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(36), ShlWal-Def(36)
Level 32: Touch of Fear -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Char -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Dark Consumption -- Obl-Acc/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), FuroftheG-Dam/Rech(47), FuroftheG-Dam/End/Rech(47), FuroftheG-Acc/End/Rech(48)
Level 41: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(42), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(43), Hct-Dam%(43)
Level 47: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Pnc-Heal/+End(17)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3), PwrTrns-EndMod(17)
------------

Snapshot of totals with 1 stack of ATO.

image.png.75919f9dd13b74c402814e2767f33a24.png

These are amazing, thanks Sai! I’ll tell you what, those are some impressive resists you are able to get out of that second shield/dm build. Crazy! I also think you’re right about that Inv/DM... unkillable. Especially when you start factoring in the -tohit.