Since Touch of Fear is awesome now...

Aeroprism

Is there anyone with a decent DM/DA build that takes the recent changes to Touch of Fear into consideration?  I can find quite a few good builds out here but they all date from before DM was tweaked.

I'm just curious to see how people like to slot things now that Touch of Fear is all new and awesome.

Thanks!

I'm leveling a DA/DM tank and have Touch of Fear slotted with 1 acc IO and 3 procs. It works really well and I may add more if I can spare the slots. The thing to remember is not to use fear set or tohit debuff set procs - those effects are single target and only have a chance to hit the targeted foe. Melee AoE set procs can hit any foe in the damage AoE.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Awesome is, perhaps, stretching it a bit 😄

And a proc only procs on the enemy it triggered it. What he means is that the Fear/ToHit procs only work on the main target since the Fear/ToHit only affects the main target. Damage procs will work on everyone in the radius since damage does hit everyone.

1 hour ago, Aeroprism said:

So you're using it only for procs eh?

On a tank, I find that the damage from the procs is superior to slotting the power for damage. The recharge is short enough that you can spam the hell out of it. If a foe gets feared and debuffed, that's just a bonus. Also serves as an AoE taunt, but scrappers don't get that.

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

I have a build now mine is a mix of offense and high survival ability I tank for a group sometimes in TF etc.

Scrapper - Dark Melee -tof- Shield Defense.mxd

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

16 hours ago, Uun said:

On a tank, I find that the damage from the procs is superior to slotting the power for damage. The recharge is short enough that you can spam the hell out of it. If a foe gets feared and debuffed, that's just a bonus. Also serves as an AoE taunt, but scrappers don't get that.

A single SO+5 would be 24.1638 additional points of damage. With a 1.675 AF, the proc chance would be 34.72% or 24.9126 average per proc. So it's a bit of a wash. Still between Scirocco's Dervish D/E and Obliteration D, you're going to hit ED with even half a damage enhancement anyway so you might as well 4-proc it.

That being said, I'm not sure if Cloud Senses or Glimpse of the Abyss work on the AE portion.

1 hour ago, parabola said:

Some testing I did on this:

Why the Perfect Zinger proc? Doesn't it do like 1/3rd of the damage of a normal proc? I assume you skipped the Purple because it's somewhere else?

I put the "Chance to improve Crits" ATO into it yesterday but it didn't seem as effective as expected / compared to it in my Ice Scrappers Frost cone. I'll probably go with the 3 procs (Oblit, Erad & Scirros), two random Acc/Dams and the Dam from Oblit giving 188 damage according to Mids. Not amazing but fine for a bit of extra AOE. 

1 minute ago, Carnifax said:

Why the Perfect Zinger proc? Doesn't it do like 1/3rd of the damage of a normal proc? I assume you skipped the Purple because it's somewhere else?

I put the "Chance to improve Crits" ATO into it yesterday but it didn't seem as effective as expected / compared to it in my Ice Scrappers Frost cone. I'll probably go with the 3 procs (Oblit, Erad & Scirros), two random Acc/Dams and the Dam from Oblit giving 188 damage according to Mids. Not amazing but fine for a bit of extra AOE. 

Yes the purple proc was elsewhere in that build but it would work nicely in ToF. The Perfect Zinger proc works exactly like any other 3.5ppm proc as far as I know. It was certainly returning numbers similar to those of the melee aoe procs in that testing. There can be issues around enemy resistance of course but one of the benefits of proccing out a power is diversifying it's damage types. That testing was with a tank - as I said at the time I assume it would work as well for a brute but I can't be sure. Sadly scrappers don't get the option to slot it anyway.

In other builds I have tended to two slot the winter set for the slow resist and then four slot with procs. On a scrapper there isn't such an obvious fourth proc unless the purple is available. The -res pvp one functions as you'd expect so that's an option.

I didn't test any ATO procs so can't really comment on that specifically. But given that they are damage sets I would be surprised if there was any particularly odd behaviour from them. When you say the 'chance to improve crits' proc do you mean the +50% crit proc from critical strikes or the other one from scrappers strike? The scrappers strike proc isn't really a proc just a flat increase on crit chance across the board and can be slotted absolutely anywhere in your build and still function.

1 hour ago, parabola said:

I didn't test any ATO procs so can't really comment on that specifically. But given that they are damage sets I would be surprised if there was any particularly odd behaviour from them. When you say the 'chance to improve crits' proc do you mean the +50% crit proc from critical strikes or the other one from scrappers strike? The scrappers strike proc isn't really a proc just a flat increase on crit chance across the board and can be slotted absolutely anywhere in your build and still function.

The Critical Strikes one. It seemed (and "seemed" is the active word here) to to going off way less than expected for me. In a totally non-scientific "oh, I expected more from you" kind of way. 

Had a look in Mids and the Perfect Zinger is, as you say, the same as anything else there now. Not sure if it changed or what but about a year ago I tried it for a Bio/Spines Tank and could have sworn it was doing much less damage than anything else. 

1 minute ago, Carnifax said:

The Critical Strikes one. It seemed (and "seemed" is the active word here) to to going off way less than expected for me. In a totally non-scientific "oh, I expected more from you" kind of way. 

Had a look in Mids and the Perfect Zinger is, as you say, the same as anything else there now. Not sure if it changed or what but about a year ago I tried it for a Bio/Spines Tank and could have sworn it was doing much less damage than anything else. 

Oh - yeah mids had a bug for the longest time where the perfect zinger proc was set to the old flat 20% rate rather than 3.5ppm. This was just in mids - in game it went over to ppm at the same time everything else did.

4 hours ago, Hjarki said:

That being said, I'm not sure if Cloud Senses or Glimpse of the Abyss work on the AE portion.

I use 2? slot cloud senses for -tohit/acc, proc, (3 erads?), and a 3rd proc. The tohit on a tank is massive, and stacks. Running on a defensive-ish fire tank, the stacking -tohit makes it pretty much unkillable. The same would be true on a scrapper. Def look into 2 slotting cloud senses.

5 hours ago, Hjarki said:

The tohit debuff and fear are single target. Cloud Senses and Glimpse of the Abyss will only work on the primary target, not the AoE targets. 

8 minutes ago, Uun said:

The tohit debuff and fear are single target. Cloud Senses and Glimpse of the Abyss will only work on the primary target, not the AoE targets. 

Works a treat on hard or dangerous targets though!

21 minutes ago, Uun said:

There are situations where what we believe should happen and what actually does happen aren't the same.

For example, let's say I slot Perfect Zinger into my Smite. The 'right' behavior for this is that when I Smite a target, Perfect Zinger will proc Psi damage on up to 5 targets within 10 yards but not proc on the target itself. The actual behavior is that it acts like pretty much every other proc and just damages the one guy I Smite'd.

I agree with your premise - Cloud Senses and Glimpse of the Abyss 'should' only work on the primary target due to how the power is structured. However, I'm not sure that's how the game actually works and someone upthread implied that they strike the entire AE.

22 minutes ago, Hjarki said:

There are situations where what we believe should happen and what actually does happen aren't the same.

For example, let's say I slot Perfect Zinger into my Smite. The 'right' behavior for this is that when I Smite a target, Perfect Zinger will proc Psi damage on up to 5 targets within 10 yards but not proc on the target itself. The actual behavior is that it acts like pretty much every other proc and just damages the one guy I Smite'd.

I agree with your premise - Cloud Senses and Glimpse of the Abyss 'should' only work on the primary target due to how the power is structured. However, I'm not sure that's how the game actually works and someone upthread implied that they strike the entire AE.

My testing showed that they do only affect the main target. Melee aoe procs and the taunt proc affect everyone in the aoe but to-hit debuff and fear procs only affect the primary target. What is really interesting is that the primary target gets hit with a higher proc chance for all procs including the aoe ones than the other targets in the aoe. The primary target gets proc chances as if the power was a single target attack - everyone else has the expected area factor applied to them.

here is a build i had that used Touch of fear for proc's if you want you can try it out

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Dark Melee
Secondary Power Set: Dark Armor
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Shadow Punch

• (A) Superior Critical Strikes - RechargeTime/+50% Crit Proc
  • (3) Superior Critical Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (3) Superior Critical Strikes - Accuracy/Damage
  • (5) Superior Critical Strikes - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (23) Superior Critical Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (23) Superior Critical Strikes - Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 1: Dark Embrace

• (A) Aegis - Psionic/Status Resistance
  • (5) Aegis - Resistance
  • (7) Aegis - Resistance/Endurance
  • (7) Aegis - Resistance/Recharge
  • (9) Aegis - Endurance/Recharge
  • (9) Aegis - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 2: Smite

• (A) Superior Blistering Cold - Recharge/Chance for Hold
  • (11) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
  • (11) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage
  • (13) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance
  • (13) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (50) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 4: Shadow Maul

• (A) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (15) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Recharge/Critical Hit Bonus
  • (15) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage
  • (17) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Damage/Recharge
  • (17) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (19) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 6: Death Shroud

• (A) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage
  • (19) Eradication - Damage
  • (21) Eradication - Damage/Recharge
  • (21) Eradication - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 8: Murky Cloud

• (A) Aegis - Resistance
  • (25) Aegis - Resistance/Endurance
  • (25) Aegis - Resistance/Recharge
  • (27) Aegis - Endurance/Recharge
  • (27) Aegis - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge
  • (29) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 10: Obsidian Shield

• (A) Aegis - Resistance
  • (29) Aegis - Resistance/Endurance
  • (31) Aegis - Resistance/Recharge
  • (31) Aegis - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 12: Siphon Life

• (A) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Hecatomb - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (33) Hecatomb - Damage
  • (34) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb
  • (34) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (34) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime

Level 14: Boxing

• (A) Empty

Level 16: Tough

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (33) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (36) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
  • (36) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (37) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance

Level 18: Weave

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (36) Red Fortune - Defense
  • (37) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance
  • (37) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 20: Dark Regeneration

• (A) Theft of Essence - Chance for +Endurance
  • (39) Theft of Essence - Healing
  • (39) Theft of Essence - Healing/Recharge
  • (39) Theft of Essence - Accuracy/Endurance/Healing

Level 22: Cloak of Darkness

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (40) Red Fortune - Defense
  • (40) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance
  • (40) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

Level 24: Dark Consumption

• (A) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown
  • (42) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (42) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage
  • (42) Superior Avalanche - Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 26: Soul Drain

• (A) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage
  • (43) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance
  • (45) Armageddon - Damage
  • (45) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Armageddon - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 28: Touch of Fear

• (A) Glimpse of the Abyss - Chance of Damage(Psionic)
  • (48) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
  • (48) Scirocco's Dervish - Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • (50) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage

Level 30: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (50) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 32: Combat Jumping

• (A) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
  • (46) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (46) Kismet - Accuracy +6%
  • (48) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed

Level 35: Conserve Power

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 38: Soul Transfer

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

Level 41: Physical Perfection

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

Level 44: Super Jump

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 47: Super Speed

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 49: Focused Accuracy

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

Level 1: Critical Hit 

Level 1: Brawl

https://www.midsreborn.com/builds/download.php?uc=1515&c=688&a=1376&f=HEX&dc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