Often unable to complete Missions - I gotta be doing something wrong

So I run in a 4 person group all the time.  I've recently come back to the game after many years, and am having trouble completing Missions.

My group will enter a building, clear it out and attempt to gain whatever clue/intelligence/investigation is part of the mission.  The group leader normally clicks on the table/computer/box etc. and will get the bar showing that he is searching and receiving the required information.  The remainder of the group tries clicking on the item but will 'normally' NOT get the bar.  And in some cases the mission is still completed successfully, but most of the time not able to complete the mission. 

In other cases the remainder of the group will find other boxes in the warehouse and receive the bar showing information, but only if there are multiple boxes, and only once per character for each box.  In some cases the mission completes, in other cases it does not.

To clarify I will normally get a Mission Completed notification, and the Exit button.  BUT after I leave the building only the group leader has the mission updated and actually completed.  The rest of the group still has the mission in their logs, the mission is not really finished, the contact still tells you to complete the mission, AND you can't reenter the building.  I guess because the leader clicked on the item first is why he is the only one who has really completed the mission.

If it were just a mission or two I would just click the "Complete the mission automatically..." but one of my characters now has four of these missions I can't complete, and have attempted to redo some of these twice with the same result (uncompleted).  And of course I get the "You have reached the maximum number of auto-complete missions...Please contact customer support."

Can anyone provide suggestions on what I am doing wrong?  Is there some proper order to doing things so that everyone in my group can complete missions?

Thanks,

Mal

Only one member of the team needs to click on any particular "glowie" object for it to count as a completed mission objective.

Once that one person has collected it, no one else can... That's working as intended... But it still counts as a completed objective for everyone on the team. 

As for the mission itself, like Gourd said, there should be a pop-up asking if you would like to complete your copy of the mission if it's one you and the leader both have. If you click "yes" it should complete and the arc should advance once you talk to your contact again. There's an option to make that mission complete automatic in the Options menu. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Thanks for the responses guys.  All the characters have the Collaborative Missions options selected, though one character always has to click the button in the popup box to "...accept...you can change this in Options" though he has this option enabled. So this doesn't appear to be the reason.

One other thing, since sometimes new contacts vary between characters and some missions are only given if you have the contact.  Does this mean that only the character with the contact can do the mission?  Or complete the mission? Or can all members of the group enter and do any other members mission? 

Thanks,

Mal

The leader selects the mission from all the available missions on the team.  All of the group can enter and do the mission.  It doesn't matter who clicks the glowies or completes each element, but you must keep going until you get to the mission complete notification and the blue exit button.  If you do not get these then the mission is not yet completed.

After completion, if another team member has the same mission from the same contact then they are given the option to complete the mission from their list as well (or not).

I've always found it works this way as the default without altering any menu options.  

There's a new option to Turn Off XP, which he use if willing until you guys catch up.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

If he's always selecting his copy of the mission, and you guys *aren't* advancing the arc and taking/completing the same missions along with him, he's probably slightly ahead because he's getting the "arc bonus" XP at the end of story arcs and you guys aren't. You only get that when your own copy of the arc is complete. The merit rewards for arcs, likewise. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

5 hours ago, Crisis said:

After completion, if another team member has the same mission from the same contact then they are given the option to complete the mission from their list as well (or not).

And 'from the same contact' is important -- at the lower levels, there are two contacts for each origin in each level range block, and if you have the same mission, but from the other contact, you don't get the option. For example, both Carla Brunelli in Skyway City and Athena Currie will give out the same missions, including the Clockwork Captive arc, but if you have the arc from Athena and your friend has it from Carla, you have to finish the missions separately (at least, that's how I remember it working on Live; letting you jointly complete the identical mission from the 'other' contact would be a useful upgrade).

22 hours ago, malleable1 said:

He is already a half level ahead of the rest of the group.

Even if he's 1/2 a level ahead.... that will shrink to nearly nothing as you guys get higher up. 

And in this game it means basically nothing anyway.  Even if he was 10 levels above you can still team up effectively.  This is because the level you fight at shifts when teaming.  If you are above the mission owner's level you shift down to equal to their level.  If you are below the mission owner's level you shift up to 1 level below them.  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

There are also arcs where everyone gets the missions in the arc in random order (Striga's Stephanie Peebles is one example that I always remember is really bad about this).  So unless you happen to get the same mission from the same contact in the same order (very unlikely in her case), you'd have to do each mission several times if everyone in a team wants to get the missions themselves and not just follow along with the leader.

Would be another nice "to fix" to "unrandomize" some of these arcs.  

On 5/3/2021 at 10:33 AM, malleable1 said:

Thanks for the responses guys.  All the characters have the Collaborative Missions options selected, though one character always has to click the button in the popup box to "...accept...you can change this in Options" though he has this option enabled. So this doesn't appear to be the reason.

One other thing, since sometimes new contacts vary between characters and some missions are only given if you have the contact.  Does this mean that only the character with the contact can do the mission?  Or complete the mission? Or can all members of the group enter and do any other members mission? 

Thanks,

Mal

I know you said you guys are the same level, but you might want to drag those level sliders to the right some as well, so the auto-complete toggle knows to kick in.

I have this issue occasionally and on certain arcs (Aaron Thiery recently did this to us) but we usually don't have any issues.

We also don't do anything special with mission glowies - anyone can click regardless of mission ownership. And it's never caused us issues.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:58 PM, srmalloy said:

And 'from the same contact' is important -- at the lower levels, there are two contacts for each origin in each level range block, and if you have the same mission, but from the other contact, you don't get the option. For example, both Carla Brunelli in Skyway City and Athena Currie will give out the same missions, including the Clockwork Captive arc, but if you have the arc from Athena and your friend has it from Carla, you have to finish the missions separately (at least, that's how I remember it working on Live; letting you jointly complete the identical mission from the 'other' contact would be a useful upgrade).

I don't think so. Pretty sure we did this recently in my group without an issue, with the only speed bump being getting our different contacts to the point where we got the same arc. Worth testing out.