Instanced DPS Testing

BLVD

The other day I saw people complaining in the LFG tab that there were players doing Pylon DPS testing during a MSR. Personally, I've never come across this being a major issue but I could see having a solo DPS testing instance being overall beneficial. I could see the implementation being a testing tab within the LFG tab that has a Pylon Test event that you can queue for. The instance could just be a very small map with the single Rikti Pylon NPC. 

Expanding on that idea, here are a few additional suggestions:

• Give some kind of in-game metric to visualize DPS. Perhaps the same system that is used for the ski slope times could be used to display the time it took from the first attack on the Pylon until it had 0 HP.
  • Have the instance automatically give a pop-up tray with Power Analyzer. I think this would be a QoL addition for those who want to collect data. 
  • Give two options for the Pylon test: one where the Pylon can attack you, and one where it can't. 

Also, with the growing popularity of the 'Trapdoor' test, I'd imagine there would be other proposed instances in addition to the Pylon test.

Edited by BLVD
  • Thanks 1

This can also be used as an area to test out new powers (ala Champions Online's Powerhouse or Marvel Heroes Shield Training Room) versus single target dummies, multiple dummies for crowd control powers. (with both stationary targets as well as moving targets, & both minion, LT, Boss, Elite Boss/AV Test Dummies) before leveling up. (Have it only offer power choices based on your Primary/Secondary)

Marvel Heroes would give your TTK (Time to kill) from the moment you fired your first shot till defeat of the target.

Another useful feature was being able to test your defense or resistance to different damage types by having special rooms that would zap you with different damage types. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shadowsleuth said:

This can also be used as an area to test out new powers (ala Champions Online's Powerhouse or Marvel Heroes Shield Training Room) versus single target dummies, multiple dummies for crowd control powers. (with both stationary targets as well as moving targets, & both minion, LT, Boss, Elite Boss/AV Test Dummies) before leveling up. (Have it only offer power choices based on your Primary/Secondary)

Marvel Heroes would give your TTK (Time to kill) from the moment you fired your first shot till defeat of the target.

Another useful feature was being able to test your defense or resistance to different damage types by having special rooms that would zap you with different damage types. 

I think this is a great idea.

The argument against it would be that this is all available with the rikti practice dummies and tailored AE missions. I would argue that the practice dummies are only really useful for testing rotation animation times and endurance drain. I'd also argue that AE missions like 801.3 serve as a benchmark only for a very niche set of highly optimized tank builds. 

I use the targeting dummies to test, but often I am testing sound mods that I make and the damn guns behind me constantly shooting from the NPCs really screws it up. Would sure be nice if they implemented something like what you are talking about. A solo instance would be preferred .

• Like 1

Not sure if I ever posted this. I know I've thought it would be a good idea for quite some time.

Heck, make a few "testing ground" instances, both offensive (you attack whatever, see how you do against various resists, regen, etc.) and defensive (see how much of a hit you can take, or how your regen does, no debt.)

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 minute ago, SwitchFade said:

Add dummies to base NPCs.

Well, they're not that smart to begin with....

• Haha 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

There already is instanced DPS testing, although granted against level 54 Rikti pylons.

Open up the LFG tab -> Trials -> Rikti mothership

Beat on level 54 Rikti pylons to your heart’s content.

Although FWIW, if someone complained to me that I was messing with a MSR by taking on a pylon in the zone, I would kindly suggest that they move the MSR to the instance since that is what it’s there for, so people can use the RWZ for other things.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 3

There is also the Brainstorm test server where you can very easily copy your character over and make any and all the adjustments for free and test until  you're happy with it.  All with the bonus of a plethora of pylons you desire and no player activity in the zone.

No reason to spend time on making a new thing for people to test when they obviously are not using what's already available to them to begin with.  That time is spent better elsewhere.

Edited by Templarstone
  • Like 2

This is not the City of Heroes that you remember ,  it is a new game built on what we were forced to leave behind.  Change is going to happen , because Homecoming is not your personal museum to hold your nostalgic torch too.   It has active development and will continue to evolve just like the City of Heroes we knew was changing and evolving and was about to change in massive ways.  

Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.