Can we get rid of the fake letterboxing in cut scenes please?

I'm getting a little fed up of headless people (ones that should have heads as opposed to the other sort) telling me stuff in cut scenes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Are you playing with an extra-wide monitor? IIRC, it's a known issue with a lot of games that the display scales your field-of-view to the monitor width while preserving aspect ratio, so if the game is rendering cutscenes to a 16:9 aspect ratio, and you're using a 2560x1080 screen, the 16:9 ratio should have a vertical size of 1440 pixels, so you're losing 80 pixels at the top and bottom. If you have a 3840x1440 display, it's even worse -- the 16:9 ratio gives a vertical size of 2160 pixels, so you're losing 360 pixels top and bottom, almost a third of the vertical field of view.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Are you playing with an extra-wide monitor? IIRC, it's a known issue with a lot of games that the display scales your field-of-view to the monitor width while preserving aspect ratio, so if the game is rendering cutscenes to a 16:9 aspect ratio, and you're using a 2560x1080 screen, the 16:9 ratio should have a vertical size of 1440 pixels, so you're losing 80 pixels at the top and bottom. If you have a 3840x1440 display, it's even worse -- the 16:9 ratio gives a vertical size of 2160 pixels, so you're losing 360 pixels top and bottom, almost a third of the vertical field of view.

Nope, not using an extra wide monitor.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

I run at 4k without scaling, and the rectangular blank areas that try to create the letterboxing don't cover all the way from left to right. They stop about 3/4 the way across, and on the far right hand side of the screen, I can see the full height of the rendered scene. 

The fakeness is pretty dumb, and ought to be removed. 

I'll go further, I'd prefer to have a global setting to disable all cutscenes, and just blast the text they provide into my npc chat tab in case I want to read it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Andreah said:

I run at 4k without scaling, and the rectangular blank areas that try to create the letterboxing don't cover all the way from left to right. They stop about 3/4 the way across, and on the far right hand side of the screen, I can see the full height of the rendered scene. 

The fakeness is pretty dumb, and ought to be removed. 

I'll go further, I'd prefer to have a global setting to disable all cutscenes, and just blast the text they provide into my npc chat tab in case I want to read it.

Well, if the global setting is optional, sure.  I happen to like the cut scenes myself 🙂  And they are most definitely fake, since if you grab a screenshot of a cut scene the letterboxing isn't there.

46 minutes ago, Andreah said:

I was about to say the same thing.

What this team needs is more Defenders

Experiments seem (SEEM) to show it's possibly linked to the UI.  Screenshots with UI enabled have the bar.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 9:39 PM, srmalloy said:

This is not an aspect ratio thing.
This is a resolution thing.

The game doesn't actually render letterboxed.
They're faking it with artificial black patch, top and bottom.
The scene actually renders full-screen.

And it varies by cut scene.  Some poop out just above 1920.
Some are around 2560.

I'm running 6480x3840.  So I always see it.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 5/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, Andreah said:

Plus one and a box of candies.

Cutscenes in Co* are the video game equivalent of being right in the middle of sexy time and having the DEA barge in without cause.  They're badly timed and badly used here, they need to be taken out back and shot.  Repeatedly.  With prejudice.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, Andreah said:

They stop about 3/4 t/he way across, and on the far right hand side of the screen, I can see the full height of the rendered scene. 

I have the same problem. Also, when there are narration speech bubbles (the colored ones) in missions, they are extra small and hard to read.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, Luminara said:

Plus one and a box of candies.

Cutscenes in Co* are the video game equivalent of being right in the middle of sexy time and having the DEA barge in without cause.  They're badly timed and badly used here, they need to be taken out back and shot.  Repeatedly.  With prejudice.

11 minutes ago, Tailcoat said:

I have the same problem. Also, when there are narration speech bubbles (the colored ones) in missions, they are extra small and hard to read.

Accursed! Accursed are the people with screen sizes larger than developers possibly conceived of twenty years ago! Accursed I say!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1