How-to Brute: Taunt or Dmg Aura?

Timeshadow

So I've recently rolled a Savage/Stone Brute that I really enjoy.  Problem is, I can't fit both Taunt and Mud Pots in my build without dropping something else that I really want.  If I was going for something optimal I'd just get both but as it stands I need to choose. 

I never really got into Brutes back on live but I remember there was some debate about whether Taunt was worth taking.  Some argued that you needed it to effectively tank for teams but others leaned into the DPS side of the AT and argued it was a waste.  

So I come to you, the Sultans of SMASH, for an answer.  Should I forget about Taunt in favor of Mud Pots, drop the pots for Taunt, or can I split the difference and just slot the aura for taunt instead?

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)

Taunt can always be jettisoned from a Brute build if necessary, barring your interest in very specific content that requires taunt in the endgame, and even in those instances there's almost always at least one other or more tanker or brute to do that part of the job.  There are tanker players that swear by not taking taunt, so you should feel fine ditching it on a non-tanker.

Damage auras, even mudpots, are Brute bread and butter, you need to take that no matter what, and only worry about taunt if you find other space in the build.  Only slot the aura for taunt if you need to for set bonuses or build specific set purposes, there's little to no reason to slot it for taunt otherwise, when you could be slotting other stuff there that you need.

• Like 3

I mostly play tankers, and nearly always take taunt, so my thought is... Skip Taunt. 

Taunt even on a tanker has a very narrow use. Auras do the majority of the heavy lifting, taunt for me is primarily a way to force ranged enemies into melee (taunts have a -range effect on them!) without having to run after them, or get a second group to begin running towards you without actually going over there, but if you're in massive groups of enemies the aggro cap is limiting that anyhow. That cap limit can be worked around by standing with others (preferably melee characters with taunt auras), so taunt is oddly best used when you have a lot of tanks/brutes already. Taunt does last a lot longer though, Aura taunt runs out after ~14s (if you've stepped out of range...), Taunt lasts 40s. I struggle to think of many situations where things live that long that you aren't already going to be standing toe to toe with, or you aren't in situation where you are so far over the aggro cap that this is all out the window anyhow.

Nearly all of what you can do with taunt you can do by merely hopping over to the other group, letting your aura pulse once, and then jumping back. So its whether you can spare a power slot to save you and your team the occasional confusion/chaos of enemies running around a bit is the issue (And lets face it, someone has probably area immobilized them already anyhow). 

I think there's this expectation that taunt saves squishy characters, but, taunt only hits 5 things. If a blaster has jumped into a x8 sized crowd and you aren't already in the middle of it, taunt won't save them. Taunt will make 5 things turn to you while the other 10 continue to kill the blaster. Jumping into them and the aura pulsing will work faster.

The only other thing I could think of in favor of a brute taking it is that the auras have a target cap of 10, so when you jump into a pack you won't on the first pulse get everythings attention. Likely have a few pulses everything will have been hit once. But even with taunt, you'd have to make a split second decision on which ones already got hit and which closest 5 didn't and try to hit them with taunt to get yourself up to the aggro cap.. without overlap. Not realistic.

So taunt has its uses, I'll probably keep picking it up on my tankers, I don't think anyone brute or tanker should hesitate to ditch it if you can't fit it.

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper) 

And as someone who has yet to ever get a tank to 50, but had two Brutes to 50 on Live one with and one without Taunt I'd concur with the above.  Taunt was more about saving movement or pulling an annoying ranged foe in closer typically.  For example Duray flying around off the platform.  For getting him to come down after me (and to the team) inside the 'hangar deck' taunt was quite a useful application.  Otherwise damage and smacking things was usually quite sufficient for maintaining aggro control typically.

it is worth taking but not over mudpots which is your damage/taunt aura it provides a constant mag 4 16.4s taunt effect to anything with in 8ft it hits is a staple imo would never skip the dmg aura

Edited by PainX
because i cannot write worth a damn

Thanks for your feedback, guys.  After playing with Mud Pots for a while (Currently lvl 45), I gotta say...I don't like it 😅

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it just seems like it doesn't really do much.  The damage ticks are slow and since it's a passive effect I don't have the ability to redirect aggro on demand when I need to.  On top of that, it's pretty heavy on End usage despite having a decent amount of Recovery in my build.  I've yet to try running it now that I've got Physical Perfection slotted up but so far I think I'd rather have Taunt. 

You wanna play Peacebringer?😒  Fine, but at least check out this guide first: Peacebringers STILL SUCK!!! (v. 1.1)

4 hours ago, Timeshadow said:

Thanks for your feedback, guys.  After playing with Mud Pots for a while (Currently lvl 45), I gotta say...I don't like it 😅

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it just seems like it doesn't really do much.  The damage ticks are slow and since it's a passive effect I don't have the ability to redirect aggro on demand when I need to.  On top of that, it's pretty heavy on End usage despite having a decent amount of Recovery in my build.  I've yet to try running it now that I've got Physical Perfection slotted up but so far I think I'd rather have Taunt. 

You should definitely do what works for you and your fun.

Remember that even though mudpots ticks slow, that damage over the duration of all the time you play your Brute will add up to a LOT in the end. The damage from Taunt will still be zero (barring the random slotting of a proc I guess), while mudpots will keep on ticking. It is a massive amount of damage you'll be leaving on the table if you skip it. Mudpots has other components too, like taunt and slow and immobilize.  It's not insignificant.

It is an end hog though, another drawback of stone armor (what a mess this set is). There are good ways to help with endurance issues before incarnate powers, like Recovery Serum from the P2W vendor and getting the +end accolades and using all of the +end/recovery global set IO's, and some sets even provide global endredux or +max end. Remember that your recovery is based on your maximum end, and having a higher max end (accolades and IO sets etc) will help a lot.  If you have Physical Perfection then you might have superior conditioning which helps too.

If you are so concerned with aggro control you may be playing the wrong AT for your goals.  A tanker will control aggro better (again you should take mudpots if you switch to tanker though, this is a major component of aggro control) and there will be less pressure to take attacks in place of Taunt or Mudpots on that AT.  I'm not saying you can't play the Tanker as a Brute, I'm just saying the Tanker plays the Tanker better (and coincidentally Tanker Savage Melee's AoE sizes are JARRINGLY big. So much fun).

Alternately you should skip something else and have both Taunt and Mudpots on your Brute if aggro control is important to you. I know you said you don't want to skip anything else, but there's always some sacrifice that can be made when it is worth it for your needs.

Anyhow, good luck, hope you find the right decision for your playstyle, with or without!

I don't think I have a brute without Taunt at level 50.   I have lots of Brutes without Taunt at lower levels.  I usually don't take Taunt as a brute until both Tough and Weave are in place, and since I prioritize primary/secondary powers above pool powers, that may be a while.  And Taunt's a one-slot wonder, which makes it a fine choice for that problematic level 49 power pick.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

I don’t take Taunt on any of my Brutes as I play them more as damage than a tank and I just don’t have the room in my builds for it.  Every single character of mine has Fly, Hover, Evasive Maneuvers, and either Super Speed or Speed of Sound.

Again, thanks to everybody for their feedback.  I decided to keep rolling with Mud Pots for a while and I'm starting to warm up to it.  Still not really seeing the benefits of it aggro wise but the chip damage is quite nice. 

My Brute's 50 now and I've got everything I want in terms of powers so I'll probably grab Taunt for the 49 pick.  It may not be necessary for the AT but it's still something I prefer to have for those moments when I need to off-tank, which I find myself doing a decent bit (Probably a /Stone thing). 

• 2 weeks later