Virtual heroes, real paragons?

So, while finally getting things set up so that I can ditch having a physical computer monitor... a thought occurred to me. wouldn't it be amazing if CoH could be played in virtual reality? No, not just streaming your flat screen game onto a projected screen in VR, but full "you are there" VR. And yes, I realize this would likely be a huge pain in the rear to code. But still... wouldn't it be amazing?

7 hours ago, Pixie_Knight said:

So, while finally getting things set up so that I can ditch having a physical computer monitor... a thought occurred to me. wouldn't it be amazing if CoH could be played in virtual reality? No, not just streaming your flat screen game onto a projected screen in VR, but full "you are there" VR. And yes, I realize this would likely be a huge pain in the rear to code. But still... wouldn't it be amazing?

It would during some of the incarnate trial cutscenes...

• Haha 1

Heck, just general gameplay would be amazing IMO if you could do full immersion VR. Even if you had to use a gamepad or keyboard/mouse and had canned animations, still would be so damn cool. Gamepad would probably be better though. And it'd be a bitch and a half to code, probably. Might even require completely recreating everything from the ground up to incorporate such. But hey, that would have the benefit of meaning there was no source code or assets from the original game used for the new version of CoH.

It would require rebuilding the whole engine, mapping body parts to sensors or handheld controls, building a VR camera for each playable model at a minimum. Are we talking hand tracking for power activation? Having an unobtrusive HUD? Along with force feedback for hitting geometry collision?

Realistically this would be a pretty monumental undertaking. That said it would be cool.

I have managed to play CoH with my Oculus Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop and a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse before. Cool playing on a 100ft screen, but not actually VR.

Yeah, I prefer using a cinema screen when playing 'flatscreen' games in VR. And as I said, I realize it would be a monumental task. It's a pipe dream, but it would be amazing. For more general "using my PC in VR" stuff like browsing forums I prefer using the office (or now the new Gamer Room) Virtual Desktop environment. Much better then the baked in Oculus virtual desktop. And far far superior to the one in Big Screen.

7 hours ago, TheZag said:

MSR = mothership raid = if city of heroes ever did support VR, a mothership raid would probably fry your brain.

"I have never seen reality's frame rate drop so quickly..."

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

45 minutes ago, Pixie_Knight said:

Modern graphics cards can probably handle that (and hami raids) better then the top end cards of 2005 could.

That doesn't mean the HUMAN EYE can handle it any better - and VR doesn't let you alt-tab or look away from the monitor if the in-your-face storm of dozens of powers going off starts to hurt.  Which it will.

18 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

That doesn't mean the HUMAN EYE can handle it any better - and VR doesn't let you alt-tab or look away from the monitor if the in-your-face storm of dozens of powers going off starts to hurt.  Which it will.

Just close your eyes for a moment? Or look away? 🙂

Was my solution in RE7 when super disgusting stuff like the dinner scene occurred.

At the plaza down the street from me there is a cafe with VR center where you enter a Game Room with a headset on...it is really popular...can CoH be converted to higher graphics and appear at home in a VR Game Room? or the Cafe version? Absolutely and anyone working with Unreal or Unity Engines can tell you it is a lot of work but with a team it could be done very quickly and effectively. It is a matter of who would spend the money on such an endeavor. At this time i would not advise it but when VR is mass manufactured and far less costly in the near future then i would love to see CoH 2 in VR and a Classics CoH Homecoming Edition...i would pay for that!

Excellent topic Pixie Knight 🙂

Edited by FeliciaDivine