Sonic notes

I'm hoping to play a sonic character next, but noting a dearth of said characters in the teams I PUG with,  I'd like to request some feedback from those who play sonic characters.

1) Is it worth it/fulfilling? Does it just get annoying after a short while?  Is it strong in 50+ ranks?

2) What's probably the strongest sonic archetype and secondary powerset?

3) Any other things to consider?

10 minutes ago, Techwright said:

2) What's probably the strongest sonic archetype and secondary powerset?

Sonic Blast (called "Sonic Attack for some reason) Defender is probably the best showing. Pair it with a secondary with more debuff or with damage to double down. Storm, Trick Arrow, Poison, etc. Or go with Cold Domination for the ultimate debuff teammate.

10 minutes ago, Techwright said:

3) Any other things to consider?

Play the first four levels of a Sonic Attack Defender and listen to the sound effects of Shriek, Scream, and Howl. You'll be hearing those sounds for the next 46 levels. They are... unique, to say the least. I think a lot of people avoid the set just because of those sounds. You'll soon see (hear?) why.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Play the first four levels of a Sonic Attack Defender and listen to the sound effects of Shriek, Scream, and Howl. You'll be hearing those sounds for the next 46 levels. They are... unique, to say the least. I think a lot of people avoid the set just because of those sounds. You'll soon see (hear?) why.

What about the alternate sound effects you can download?

No one is going to pat your back so be ready to pat it yourself when you notice teams killing faster when you're around. Solo it's definitely slower than other choices though.

It's going to be up to you if you feel it's worth it to sacrifice yourself for the good of all.... because ultimately all you're doing is shaving a few seconds. Remember that the end game is uber geared characters demolishing packs of enemies under ten seconds. This is not something people like to talk about when they make these characters and play them.

In my opinion if you're aiming for Sonic I'd go for the full monty: sonic/sonic Defender. Couple the Sonic/ -res toggle with the /Sonic attacks. The Sonic shields are a lot more rare and with everyone aiming for defense resistances are the usual hole.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

If only you could Strum a guitar or sing an actual note lol. Would be pretty amazing. Especially if you could actually play a tune with the correct rotation 🙂

Hawkwinds Sonic Attack 🙂

• Haha 1

A dark/sonic defender is amazing.  You have the control that dark/ gives, plus healing and debuffs.  Then sonic gives you great single target damage (including the -res).

With the -regen in dark and the -res in sonic you are fantastic at taking out AVs and GMs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's not bad.. but, yeah, the sound effects can be offputting.... "Resonant puke," "Dog howl" and the like - I mean, sure, you can tell what power's being used, but still. Imagine that with dual pistols. *Bang* *Zoink* "Wawawa* *sad trombone* as you shoot...

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Sonic blast is amazing. Overwhelming force was mad for shockwave. The -res makes a mockery of most enemies and with two cones two single targets it actually isnt clunky like most sets with a mix of aoe and cones.

Sonic manipulation is okay. The single target kb is ridiculous. The rest of the set is kinda meh. Doesnt pair well with sonic blast since the cones mess with the pbaoe of manipulation.

Sonic resonance is actually pretty team friendly with the hulahoop of doom and the hulahoop of kb. End hog of course. Problem with the set is no sleep protection. Ff doesnt 'get sleep' protection except by having large amounts of defense to make sleep simply miss. Also has a psi hole that Ff simply doesnt have.

• Thumbs Up 1