What's The Optimal Solo Scrapper?

00Troy00

I hate to be that guy, but by solo-friendly do you mean ease of use, or the one that handles most content effectively, or does the most damage or other?

Literally any scrapper can solo well, so I'd just choose the sets that interest you most.  I just leveled a Kinetic Melee scrapper to 50, which many would consider the worst performing set, and he was a blast.

For ease of use combined with effectively handling the most content, maybe something like FM/EA?  Fire damage will be less resisted than S/L, and it's easy to cap typed defenses (other than psi),  You get a great heal and great endurance management.

If you just want the most damage, it will be something/bio.  EM/Bio for the best single target and OK AOE, or Rad/Bio for almost the best of everything.

• Like 1

If you just want cruise control for a relaxing ride from 1 to 50+, my vote goes to claws/willpower. It's not the best at single target damage, it's not the best at aoe damage, it's not the best mitigation, but what it IS is amazingly balanced for the whole ride. Plenty of end, regen, damage resistance, defense and extra HP, a full attack chain with just claws from very early in the game and one of the best aoes in the game with Spin, also available very early.

My mains may be claws/sr, but I have a claws/wp that I refuse to powerlevel and she only solos. I bring her out when it's time for pure scrapper-meditation.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Fire melee is icky. Definitely Ice Melee though.

But Deuce speaks true in everything including that you need to know what you want. I find my Fire Armor Tankers the best to solo in since Burn shrinks dramatically the distance between Scrapper damage and Tanker damage and it starts straight at level 18. If you're looking for hardcore soloing you'll need something sturdy, but if you're just aiming for something like Council then you don't need that.

Personally I'm about to try Ice/Bio since I'm figuring the new Ice Patch will make a nice difference in a Scrapper's squishyness, but Fire Armor spoiled me rotten.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sovera said:

Fire melee is icky. Definitely Ice Melee though.

But Deuce speaks true in everything including that you need to know what you want. I find my Fire Armor Tankers the best to solo in since Burn shrinks dramatically the distance between Scrapper damage and Tanker damage and it starts straight at level 18. If you're looking for hardcore soloing you'll need something sturdy, but if you're just aiming for something like Council then you don't need that.

Personally I'm about to try Ice/Bio since I'm figuring the new Ice Patch will make a nice difference in a Scrapper's squishyness, but Fire Armor spoiled me rotten.

I enjoyed my ice/bio, but I found that it works better, for me at least, on a stalker.  I don't mind trading GIS for AS one bit :-).

I don't understand the anti-fire sentiment though.  I love the set.  Probably my fav across all melee ATs.

1 minute ago, Deuce Spade said:

I enjoyed my ice/bio, but I found that it works better, for me at least, on a stalker.  I don't mind trading GIS for AS one bit :-).

I don't understand the anti-fire sentiment though.  I love the set.  Probably my fav across all melee ATs.

Same. Did it on Ice/Bio Stalker and it was my main for a while. Eventually I just got too addicted to crits. Any non crit hit was a let down and then mobs just ran away when at low health. But though Stalker brings AS to the table I find using Frost in Freezing touch, Ice Sword, Frost, Ice Sword to be a very forgiving and simple rotation without GiS. Now I don't know how well it plays since this was in the dark times of near 4 seconds Ice Patch so it was used strategically, where now it can just be dumped as (nearly) part of the rotation.

As for Fire Melee, well, it does not invalidate your pleasure in playing it, but it is a bit crappy when compared to the other sets. Combustion is super slow and does such bad damage it can't even kill the little gears that come out of clockwork (the extra wide radius makes up for it, but not enough IMO), Fire Breath is so narrow it barely hits anything on top of having bad damage (the lack of care in balancing things like 'hits everything around AoE so it should do less damage VS cones only hit part of the enemies around us so it should do more damage') leaving Fire Sword Circle to do all the work.

The single target is also low-ish. I believe this to be a holdover from the time where Fiery Embrace from Fire Armor would buff it since Fire Melee is the sole fire based attack set. But in the meanwhile Fiery Embrace was changed and I don't think Fire Melee got a pass (all back in live). This is a very dead horse we are hitting, but sets with absolutely no secondary effects should do more damage to compensate. As it is FM has no knockdowns, no slows, no stuns, and the small DoT chance is not enough to make it better.

Lets just look at Energy Melee after the last pass. Two decent AoEs, the very best ST damage, and on top of it it is so chockful of stuns that even AVs can stagger drunkenly. Or Ice Melee. Comparable damage to Fire Melee, a very nice AoE in Frost and complemented by Frozen Aura, a hard hitting Hold in Freezing Touch, and then Ice Patch.

CoH isn't such a min maxed game that only the cream of the cream is worthy of being played, but after a while we realize Fire Melee just lacks oomph. About a year ago there was some noise about giving it a pass but nothing happened.

• Like 2

@Sovera gotcha.  I never use breath or combustion, and while I said "across all melee ATs" I mainly use it on Scrappers, with some Brutes and even a Stalker, so Combustion is a tanker/blaster/dominator cross to bear.  Fire Sword Circle feels like one of the best AOEs out there for scrappers, but I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence.  As for single target damage, scrapper FM also seems better rather than worse than most sets, EM clearly better and maybe Mace on a bio toon with the -res.  Again, just my perception, and I'd guess someone has the numbers out there to prove me wrong.

You've inspired me to have another look at my ice/bio scrapper tho.  I always skipped ice patch, will give it a try.

4 minutes ago, Deuce Spade said:

@Sovera gotcha.  I never use breath or combustion, and while I said "across all melee ATs" I mainly use it on Scrappers, with some Brutes and even a Stalker, so Combustion is a tanker/blaster/dominator cross to bear.  Fire Sword Circle feels like one of the best AOEs out there for scrappers, but I don't have anything other than anecdotal evidence.  As for single target damage, scrapper FM also seems better rather than worse than most sets, EM clearly better and maybe Mace on a bio toon with the -res.  Again, just my perception, and I'd guess someone has the numbers out there to prove me wrong.

You've inspired me to have another look at my ice/bio scrapper tho.  I always skipped ice patch, will give it a try.

We'll have to compare notes. Currently tinkering with a build.

9 hours ago, 00Troy00 said:

I'm looking to make a scrqpper that I can jump on and have a good time when teams aren't to be found. In your opinion, what is the most solo-friendly scrapper?

I have so many thoughts! I'll try to limit myself to primary/secondary consideration, without offering specific advice. Personally, I don't think "auras" are that important for melee fun.

Primary: You probably want a smooth attack chain, but if your "fun solo" content is going to have large spawns, you probably want some sort of AoE from the primary.

Secondary: You want to survive the sort of content you find "fun". There isn't much more to it than this! I have fun with a variety of different survival techniques.

There is also the question of leveling versus playing with a level 50-build and exemplaring.  A level 50-build can leverage set bonuses to cover "defects" that certain primary/secondary choices will encounter when leveling. From experience: a primary like War Mace felt very clumsy to me until the character had enough global Recharge to smooth out attacks. Some secondaries are likely to have odd defensive/resistance holes for long stretches of levels (with or without Global bonuses).

Just my two cents but on Scrappers I try to take +def sets like SR, Shield, and EA. Willpower, Bio, and even Invuln are good choices too. Since scrappers cap out at 75% resists, sets that are resist heavy aren't so great for them. Not saying that they're bad, you just don't get as much out of those sets as a Brute does.

For a good soloing experience you want a build that has good defense, end recovery and health recovery. If you can get your build up to the defense soft cap (45%) you can skimp a bit on health high health recovery, since you won't be getting hit that much.

The optimal solo scrapper is any of them. So really? It's the one you enjoy the most.

Mechanically? I'm biased towards Claws. Amazing single target DPS (in the top 4 for scrapper melee...EM, DB, WM, then Claws that order for me...all close), probably the best AOE of the scrapper primaries, two ranged attacks, a ranged ST soft CC, and a ranged cone soft CC. It also exemps REALLY well. You get all the ST attacks you need by 18, you get Spin (one of the best melee AOE attacks in the game at level 6(?). If you've only done Synapse TF as Claws you might wonder why the TF gets so much hate.

Just don't pair it with regen. Don't pair anything with regen for that matter. Anything else is fine.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

i found my katana/rad to be the most versatile to solo. I did the itf with only a t2 alpha, the accolades and io's solo. Now I want to be clear all by builds I do are super expensive for my toons.

In fact I have an IO addiction and to feed that addiction i turned into a marketer in 1 week i spent over 500million in IO's for alts and still have over 2 billion influence yes all in one week I went from just over 150 million to billions

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

Finished with the tinkering. Mids does not activate the -7.5% res from having Offensive Adaptation on. I cross referenced the database with the Tanker version that does work and saw that all the -7.5% effects did not have the 'self' tag. That change is all that's needed.

For most things the build should be fine but a FF proc somewhere sure would be nice. With Offensive on the 15% resistance to E/N is going to hurt with things that bypass (ITF fluffies) or debuff defense (any lobster and most end game robots) with the quick nature of combat helping the Scrapper since it can kill fast and Ablative can be used nearly every spawn. Ice Patch will do a lot to help as well and Barrier is the panic button.

I also had a very elegant 70% S/L resistances for Barrier to finish capping but once having fixed the database the best I could put it up to was 64% So with Barrier 69%. I could squeeze in a few more % for S/L but I don't feel it will improve the build.

40% to S/L/E/N for Barrier to finish capping. I probably have too many slots dedicated to recovery. The slots from Physical Perfection and Stamina can probably be recovered, maybe even from Health, but there isn't a lot to use them with that ought to really impact the build. Probably dump them in Focused Accuracy for another 3% E/N resistance.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.5.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Ice Melee
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Sword -- SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(25), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(45), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(3), GldArm-3defTpProc(5), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(5), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 2: Frost -- Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(7), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(7), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(9), Bmbdmt-Dam(9), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(11)
Level 4: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(15), Rct-Def/EndRdx(15)
Level 6: Build Up -- AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(A), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(17), AdjTrg-Rchg(17), GssSynFr--Build%(19)
Level 8: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Adaptation
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(29), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(31), Prv-Absorb%(33)
Level 18: Inexhaustible -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(36)
Level 20: Evolving Armor -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(37)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(34), UnbCns-Dam%(34)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(43), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(45), Pnc-Heal(46), ThfofEss-+End%(47)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Frozen Aura -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Erd-%Dam(40), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 35: Genetic Contamination -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 38: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(39), EndRdx-I(47)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(46)
Level 44: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 47: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(48), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Brawl -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(25)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11), Mrc-Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(13)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Void Radial Final Judgement
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Core Superior Ally
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Task Force Commander
Level 50: Portal Jockey
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation
Level 22: Afterburner
------------

This isn't the 'most optimal solo scrapper', just something I'm working on. I'd still say a Fire/Ice or Fire/Martial Arts Tanker though I'm so biased I should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

Finished with the tinkering. Mids does not activate the -7.5% res from having Offensive Adaptation on. I cross referenced the database with the Tanker version that does work and saw that all the -7.5% effects did not have the 'self' tag. That change is all that's needed.

For most things the build should be fine but a FF proc somewhere sure would be nice. With Offensive on the 15% resistance to E/N is going to hurt with things that bypass (ITF fluffies) or debuff defense (any lobster and most end game robots) with the quick nature of combat helping the Scrapper since it can kill fast and Ablative can be used nearly every spawn. Ice Patch will do a lot to help as well and Barrier is the panic button.

I also had a very elegant 70% S/L resistances for Barrier to finish capping but once having fixed the database the best I could put it up to was 64% So with Barrier 69%. I could squeeze in a few more % for S/L but I don't feel it will improve the build.

40% to S/L/E/N for Barrier to finish capping. I probably have too many slots dedicated to recovery. The slots from Physical Perfection and Stamina can probably be recovered, maybe even from Health, but there isn't a lot to use them with that ought to really impact the build. Probably dump them in Focused Accuracy for another 3% E/N resistance.

Hide contents

Level 50 Magic Scrapper

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Sword -- SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(25), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(45), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(3), GldArm-3defTpProc(5), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(5), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 2: Frost -- Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(A), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(7), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(7), Bmbdmt-Acc/Rech/End(9), Bmbdmt-Dam(9), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(11)
Level 4: Environmental Modification -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(15), Rct-Def/EndRdx(15)
Level 6: Build Up -- AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(A), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(17), AdjTrg-Rchg(17), GssSynFr--Build%(19)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(29), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(31), Prv-Absorb%(33)
Level 20: Evolving Armor -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(37)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(34), UnbCns-Dam%(34)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(43), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(45), Pnc-Heal(46), ThfofEss-+End%(47)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Frozen Aura -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Erd-%Dam(40), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 35: Genetic Contamination -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 38: Focused Accuracy -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(39), EndRdx-I(47)
Level 47: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(48), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(25)
------------

This isn't the 'most optimal solo scrapper', just something I'm working on. I'd still say a Fire/Ice or Fire/Martial Arts Tanker though I'm so biased I should be taken with a grain of salt.

I am leveling an ice/sd scrapper and it feels more like I am playing a melee troller than a scrapper sometimes enjoy the build Ice has been way more fun than I was expecting

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

3 minutes ago, hejtmane said:

I am leveling an ice/sd scrapper and it feels more like I am playing a melee troller than a scrapper sometimes enjoy the build Ice has been way more fun than I was expecting

Yep. I've started th character, currently level 17 on redside, and from level two I've cranked the difficulty to x4 with bosses. Not gonna lie that there were moments where I went deep into the red, but Ice Patch in the middle of a spawn and then pew pew until everything is down hasn't failed me. No deaths yet and now I got Ablative so maybe x6.

My solo Scrapper projects I'd include for ease is:

Mace/Bio

Katana/Bio

Claws/anything(I've tried Bio, SR, Willpower, Energy Aura, Radiation(on a Tanker).

Mace/Shield(End problems early)

Energy/Energy

DM/Shield(end problems early).

I'd say any primary paired with Bio or Willpower would be considered easy mode.  That extra End managment early is key for early solo play.  I'd add Regen to that list but Regen simply isn't as sturdy if you want to push the envelope a bit.

Edit:  Radiation secondary is pretty buff as well....just started playing with it, and my Rad/Rad is fairly impressive.

Edited by Ignatz the Insane

11 hours ago, Sovera said:

Yep. I've started th character, currently level 17 on redside, and from level two I've cranked the difficulty to x4 with bosses. Not gonna lie that there were moments where I went deep into the red, but Ice Patch in the middle of a spawn and then pew pew until everything is down hasn't failed me. No deaths yet and now I got Ablative so maybe x6.

Ice Patch is my favourite "1 slot wonder" power in the game. My Ice/Ice Scrapper had lots of "last man standing vs the horde" incidents levelling up thanks to it. Never be afraid to Sir Robin it to a nearby corner, then Ice Patch and Frost / Frozen Aura the lot of them to death as they fall over. 

11 hours ago, hejtmane said:

I am leveling an ice/sd scrapper and it feels more like I am playing a melee troller

Yup, I call my Ice/Ice/Mako my scraptroller. Mako I took mostly for Water Spout for concept but having Hibernate available was useful too. 

I'm strongly considering some other Ice melee char of some sort because I enjoyed Ice Melee so much (Ice Armour is fine I guess but not very exciting). Possibly Stalker since I also have a Dark/Shield scrapper on the go (which is also excellent now Shadow Maul got its better arc. Shield is, as noted above, a git for End). 

I've got a spines/ice armor scrapper at 48 that I am liking WAY more than I thought I would.

I've got all the basic heal, regen, end io's in him, with a few defense sets and lotg's - so he's nowhere near maxed yet, but is generally an extremely strong solo character.

Since I retired my spines/fire farmer in favor of rad/fire, I'd forgotten that despite the overall slowish feel of the set - I really like spines.

This combo kicks ass. It slows, reduces damage, reduces recharge, does a generally less resisted damage type, and having two damage auras really rounds out the aoe damage, with the auras often ticking off the last sliver of health, and Impale often picking off a slowly running away straggler.

He does have a slightly controller'ish feeling.

Also really tough overall. If I get into some trouble I pop Icy Bastion and am basically unkillable while it's up while completely regenning my hp and end no matter how swarmed with enemies thanks to the heavy layering of defense, resist, and regen + hp from Hoarfrost.

For a combo that I know kicks MAJOR ass - Energy Melee/Invulnerability. AoE is weakish, but single target is top tier with top tier survivability. This combo will do fantastic on +4/3-5. The reason not going /8 is because with weakish aoe it'll take longer than you'd like to clear large packs, but packs of 4-6 mobs will get blasted down hard with your single target attacks. This combo will also make a good AV/boss killer toon. My Em/Inv scrapper feels almost like stalker because of the way he deletes bosses and small groups of mobs - yet he feels almost like my Em/Inv brute on live that was practically unkillable. The moderate tradeoff on survivability with less hp and s/l resist is more than made up for with the incredibly hard hitting single target damage. I don't think anything hit's harder than a Gaussian's Build up proc + build up + energy transfer. A stalker will do more total and sustained damage thanks to Assassins Strike, but for sheer damage from individual attacks - the scrapper hits the actual hardest.

Just a small update on the Ice/Bio. Definitely very squishy. Ablative helps but gets, well, ablated. Without the defenses all in place I found I actually died three times during Citadel.

Yeah... against Council. Shamefur dispray! But also because my amplifiers had run out and I wasn't Ice Patching. Once I started dropping Ice Patch at the start of the fight no more deaths. But it was a case of going in, getting whittled to half during the alpha, then try to squeeze another AoE and during the 2.5 seconds getting the other half whittled down by the post alpha before I could use DNA Siphon or Ablative.

The damage is as good as expected from a Scrapper paired with Bio on top of. Even at Manticore it wasn't uncommon to have a PP pop their T9 after BU + Freezing Touch + Frost + Frozen Aura. Needless to say the pack of mobs was mostly dead as well.

Frozen Aura is a godsend to finish up moping enemies because leveling with a single AoE is sad (still better than none, eh Super Strength?).

I decided to remove the critical proc from Ice Sword and place it on FT so it is less awkward to use. In an AoE situation I want to use FT - Frost - FA, not use Ice Sword. This means the proc won't be available at the very low levels and that FT won't be buffed by it, but it means the lower damage skills will get a damage boost where FT already hits hard enough by itself.

The slotting of DNA Siphon is still malleable. I'm not sure how useful the Theft of Essence ends up being considering how good DNA is at replenishing the blue bar, or how useful the healing it gets from Panacea though it doubles as a second heal. The bonuses from Panacea are crappy where six slotting Synapse Shock has much better bonuses, but do we really need more endurance? In long ST fights we're going to suffer anyway and may need to use a Recovery Serum either way. So, dunno.

Slightly altered build. Last I played it was soloing Manticore's TF which was going fine though I ended up dying from more burst. Even with the defenses mostly in place they remained porous.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Scrapper

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Sword -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(21), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Hct-Acc/Rchg(45), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(45), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(34), UnbCns-Dam%(34), TchofDth-Dam%(34)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(29), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(43), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(45), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(46), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(47)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39), Rct-Def(48)
Level 32: Frozen Aura -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(40), Erd-%Dam(40), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(21), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(23), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
------------

@sovera  I like your choice of Intuition in the alpha, very creative.  I've used Synapse Shock in both DNA and Parasitic before, and I do love the +rchg and rchg resist.  I don't think the +end is overkill, depending on whether you want to skip ageless.  Barrier adds some much needed survivability on a /bio scrapper.   Rotating dna/parasitic I can keep my end where it needs to be without slotting for it, but if you miss one or get distracted, Synapse Shock is a nice buffer.

My ice/bio scrapper is only 42, as I gave up on him last year, but I geared him up and ran a couple missions with the ice patch as you suggested.  On the scrapper it didn't make much difference for survivability for me, as I do slot DNA syphon and Parasitic Aura for regen.  When slotting Synapse Shock, I usually go five slots then add a +5 heal IO in the 6th.  The en/ne resist is good, but mine is so anemic on a /bio that I figure jacking up the regen is a better bet,

Ice Patch worked well enough, though, that I'm dying to fit it in on my stalker.  One more anti-runner tool would be welcome.  Watching those wolves bounce around instead of going for a jog is very satisfying.

I'm leveling on +2/8 with the ice/bio scrapper, and the damage feels a little light to me, as it did the first time around.  Your suggestion to skip GIS worked out well enough, and maybe adding in the procs at 50 will turn it around.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Sovera said:

Just a small update on the Ice/Bio. Definitely very squishy. Ablative helps but gets, well, ablated. Without the defenses all in place I found I actually died three times during Citadel.

Yeah... against Council. Shamefur dispray! But also because my amplifiers had run out and I wasn't Ice Patching. Once I started dropping Ice Patch at the start of the fight no more deaths. But it was a case of going in, getting whittled to half during the alpha, then try to squeeze another AoE and during the 2.5 seconds getting the other half whittled down by the post alpha before I could use DNA Siphon or Ablative.

The damage is as good as expected from a Scrapper paired with Bio on top of. Even at Manticore it wasn't uncommon to have a PP pop their T9 after BU + Freezing Touch + Frost + Frozen Aura. Needless to say the pack of mobs was mostly dead as well.

Frozen Aura is a godsend to finish up moping enemies because leveling with a single AoE is sad (still better than none, eh Super Strength?).

I decided to remove the critical proc from Ice Sword and place it on FT so it is less awkward to use. In an AoE situation I want to use FT - Frost - FA, not use Ice Sword. This means the proc won't be available at the very low levels and that FT won't be buffed by it, but it means the lower damage skills will get a damage boost where FT already hits hard enough by itself.

The slotting of DNA Siphon is still malleable. I'm not sure how useful the Theft of Essence ends up being considering how good DNA is at replenishing the blue bar, or how useful the healing it gets from Panacea though it doubles as a second heal. The bonuses from Panacea are crappy where six slotting Synapse Shock has much better bonuses, but do we really need more endurance? In long ST fights we're going to suffer anyway and may need to use a Recovery Serum either way. So, dunno.

Slightly altered build. Last I played it was soloing Manticore's TF which was going fine though I ended up dying from more burst. Even with the defenses mostly in place they remained porous.

Reveal hidden contents

Level 50 Magic Scrapper

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Sword -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(21), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Hct-Acc/Rchg(45), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(45), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 12: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(34), UnbCns-Dam%(34), TchofDth-Dam%(34)
Level 28: DNA Siphon -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(29), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(43), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(45), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(46), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(47)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39), Rct-Def(48)
Level 32: Frozen Aura -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(40), Erd-%Dam(40), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(21), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(23), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
------------

I am running a different pairing Ice/SD so very different build but yes the single aoe is sad while unless you count frost which I kicked myself  for not figurging this out sooner. The nuts and bolts I recently in my 40's have reworked my final build about 100 times and finally settled on one  which I put artillery IO's in Frost; if I been smart and done that way earlier it makes frost better by increasing its range  roughly 2 ft, Yea you think that is no big deal but the  results have been amazing on how many more mobs I now hit with that power. My advice slot those in Frost at least while leveling and you can thank me later.

In my build I just 6 slotted FT with the full cirticial strikes from the start I want that 10% recharge lol just made way to much sense

Edited by hejtmane

• 2 weeks later
3 hours ago, nihonsean said:

Dark Melee/ Super Reflexes.

Easy to soft cap defense, self heal, end recovery power, great damage. Touch of Fear is an AOE now, so you can hit up to 10 targets with it. You can solo all day, all night.

And you have the speed boost in the secondary to help chase down all the runners!

Why no mention of Martial Arts?  Not enough AoE, or too reliant on S/L damage?  I have an MA/SR scrapper that was grand fun to level to 50 solo, though -def debuffs can take him down.  I haven't played him that often lately, having since discovered the joys of the DP/MC blapper, but I still think MA/SR is a good set that doesn't require too much key-clicking other than the attacks.