The Flash (movie) teaser drop

The Flash movie is filming, and they've dropped a teaser.  Costume looks excellent.  Is that...is that...

Spoiler

The Barry Allen childhood home from the TV series The Flash? (What? You thought I was wondering if it was Keaton's Batman? 😜  )  I'd swear that's the outside ans inside of it. (maybe a different fence?)

We had Ezra's Flash visit the TV show Flash in the TV show crossover.  Will we now have a turn-about visit to the big screen?

Also, right at the end of the trailer... is that... 

Spoiler

THE KEATON BATMOBILE? And more to the point - in the universe Barry's crossed into, is Keaton the movie Batman - as in the one Barry would know from repeats on TV, rather than the "actual" Batfleck?

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

3 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Also, right at the end of the trailer... is that... 

Hide contents

THE KEATON BATMOBILE? And more to the point - in the universe Barry's crossed into, is Keaton the movie Batman - as in the one Barry would know from repeats on TV, rather than the "actual" Batfleck?

Response:

Spoiler

Pretty sure it IS the Keaton Batmobile.  Which is GLORIOUS!  It may have a tricked-out look showing updates, though having it covered by a tarp makes me wonder if it has been some time (in story) since it was used.  Keaton's Batman is still using the same cowl design as well.   I'm getting the impression we're going to see an old Bruce Wayne who is returning to crimefighting and dusting off the old gear, rather than an old Bruce Wayne who has always been crimefighting.  Sort of the Keaton era's Dark Knight Rises moment.

Zero interest in this.  Ezra Miller sucks IMO.  horrible casting choice.  They brought in Keaton as Batman for the nostalgia because they knew Miller couldn't carry a film.  Shame they're doing a decent arc from the Flash comics with such a shit actor.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Yeah so, now here's another problem I have with the DC movie universe (whatever the letters are).  I think their movie universe is so broken it's unrepairable in general.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Ezra Miller's Flash, even after the Snyder Cut - although it was better than the original release.  So I see this as worrying about the paintings on the walls of the Titanic being askew while the ship is sinking.

I can get into my thoughts about the DC movie universe in more detail, but I think DC should take more obscure characters and work on them in a rather long reboot of the whole thing.  Black Adam was a good start but I'm afraid it's going to be more of the same brooding stuff DC has already put out (with some exceptions).

Edited by Xeres

You can see why they hired in Gunn for The Suicide Squad as soon as Marvel's back was turned. It's very much a James Gunn movie that happens to use DC characters rather than following on from the Snyder movies. An actor's director, pulls off the epic shots, borrows from all across canon but still invents for the screen, can balance fun and characterisation with some imaginative touches...

Spoiler

...specifically Harley's flower-vision which is pretty poetic, how Starro gets taken down (ew!) and turning John Cena into one of the biggest (bag of) d*cks in movies.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 1 year later

Superbowl full trailer's dropped...

Spoiler

...okay, maybe getting the point of this one.

• Yep, this is Flashpoint, of a sort. 
  • Everything's laid out surprisingly well for a multiversal movie, even in this 3 minute trailer.
  • We get Batfleck, Keaton, maybe Bale as well...
  • ...and at least one other Mystery-Bat, in a classic blue/grey outfit with an odd, hex-based Utility Belt...
  • ...plus the return of the criminally underused Michael Shannon from Man Of Steel as Zod...
  • ...and a surprise package - Young And The Restless's Sasha Calle making the leap in a single bound to movies as Kara Zor-El. Big step. Good luck, kid.
  • Miller playing against himself as relaxed, happy, no-dead-parents Barry vs the pained, twisted, might-have-just-imploded-the-Universe-sooorry Barry...
  • ...who promptly falls for gloomygothgirl Kara, who's clearly not had a good reception on this Earth. (If she carries this off, might be why Gunn wants to do Supergirl: Woman Of Tomorrow?)
  • ...and some fight scenes. Well, you've got to, really.

All in all, I finally dig why they've been praising Miller's performance(s). Other than the possible "Bat-Bale" bike sequence, the action looks a little overglossy - wonder if they've filmed each 'verse in the style of each series? - but I can live with it. If I have a complaint... if there's one piece of music that doesn't need more epic-izing, it's an Elfman fanfare.

Unless Miller escapes from whatever Phantom Zone DC's PR team have locked him in... palpable hit?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

Yep, hard pass.  I was never a fan of any cinematic Flash to begin with, and having read Ezra's rapsheet on Wikipedia, I seriously wonder how the kid finds work at all.

I wholeheartedly agree about Elfman's music.  Hearing his "upgraded" Batman theme just made me angry, in no small part because it reinforces the "everything AND the kitchen sink" vibe I got from the first trailer.  I'm convinced at this point that the showrunners are just plundering from the past and hoping everything will all work out.

Unfortunately, given convos I've had with "true fans" of a few different franchises, it probably will.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

having read Ezra's rapsheet on Wikipedia, I seriously wonder how the kid finds work at all.

I hear ya. The kid found work because he was pretty good, and there are plenty of A-list actors who are as/more "difficult" on set or in the Whollyodd milieu. Melting down in public is more of a problem. And the... other accusations are very much Not Good.

With a little lawyerly magic (and probably quite a lot of cash) the VT charges more or less went away. And who knows, if he actually sits down and does the work rather than going through the motions, he might come out better. Not everybody gets the chance to, and he should reflect on that luck.

If he can keep it together a few more news cycles until the flick comes out - or WB PR can keeping come up with neat distractions like this weekend's simulated alien invasion (nice work, Vicky!) - the flick will play.

Whether it should or not - or whether he has a career after this - is a question for another day, and probably for several hundred YouTube commentators.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

Where are my giant space lasers!

This trailer has every super hero movie trope of the modern era: time travel, throwbacks to previous versions of the character, something multi-verse related, giant CGI evil armies - but no giant space lasers?? At least it's got regular eye ball laser 😆 

I lead weekly Indomitable Badge Runs

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

13 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Not everybody gets the chance to, and he should reflect on that luck.

Agreed, and I hope Miller the best in that regard.  However, I'm going to be "that guy" and say that I feel like there's a double standard at play.  Mental health issues aside, many of the allegations would pose a significant threat to the careers of binary actors or actresses.  To read the zines, it sounds like Miller's getting the "aw, that poor kid" treatment instead.

It looks interesting. In a fuck it we're resetting the universe anyway so let's go wild sort of way. The Keaton Batman will probably be the most interesting part.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

5 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

It looks interesting. In a fuck it we're resetting the universe anyway so let's go wild sort of way. The Keaton Batman will probably be the most interesting part.

My understanding is that elements of the movie would have been setup in the cancelled Batgirl and Supergirl films, but I wouldn't be surprised if the plot was drastically altered to account for that and for Gunn taking over...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, biostem said:

My understanding is that elements of the movie would have been setup in the cancelled Batgirl and Supergirl films, but I wouldn't be surprised if the plot was drastically altered to account for that and for Gunn taking over...

I'm ok with what we're getting. Caville wasn't my favorite Superman anyway.

In other news that I didn't want to resurrect a thread for: the Harley Quinn Valentines Day episode dropped today.

• Thumbs Up 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

On 2/13/2023 at 4:36 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Superbowl full trailer's dropped...

Reveal hidden contents

...okay, maybe getting the point of this one.

• Yep, this is Flashpoint, of a sort. 
  • Everything's laid out surprisingly well for a multiversal movie, even in this 3 minute trailer.
  • We get Batfleck, Keaton, maybe Bale as well...
  • ...and at least one other Mystery-Bat, in a classic blue/grey outfit with an odd, hex-based Utility Belt...
  • ...plus the return of the criminally underused Michael Shannon from Man Of Steel as Zod...
  • ...and a surprise package - Young And The Restless's Sasha Calle making the leap in a single bound to movies as Kara Zor-El. Big step. Good luck, kid.
  • Miller playing against himself as relaxed, happy, no-dead-parents Barry vs the pained, twisted, might-have-just-imploded-the-Universe-sooorry Barry...
  • ...who promptly falls for gloomygothgirl Kara, who's clearly not had a good reception on this Earth. (If she carries this off, might be why Gunn wants to do Supergirl: Woman Of Tomorrow?)
  • ...and some fight scenes. Well, you've got to, really.

All in all, I finally dig why they've been praising Miller's performance(s). Other than the possible "Bat-Bale" bike sequence, the action looks a little overglossy - wonder if they've filmed each 'verse in the style of each series? - but I can live with it. If I have a complaint... if there's one piece of music that doesn't need more epic-izing, it's an Elfman fanfare.

Unless Miller escapes from whatever Phantom Zone DC's PR team have locked him in... palpable hit?

I'm most interested in this:

Spoiler

image.png.342e4cef3af859aa2ac7ea23e890862e.png

It's a bit fuzzy on my screen.  Is that one of the Barrys or could that be a Kal-El lifted by Kara-El?  Or for that matter, maybe Kal's clone?  If Cadmus is involved, I'd not be surprised on either score.

Oh, and that "motorcycle" looks suspiciously like a Dodge Tomahawk. 

I went back over the trailer and didn't hear Keaton's character called "Bruce" at any point.  In the animated Flashpoint, one of the surprises to Flash is that the Batman is old and is not Bruce but Thomas Wayne, who is the survivor of Crime Alley in his existence.  Might that be a surprise twist where Keaton is actually playing  ol' Thomas Wayne?

I like the turn in this version, that the Kryptonian kept from the sun and left in rags is actually Kara, not Kal.  It definitely plays into the multiverse idea.  Still, referencing my first line, I'd not be surprised to find both Kryptonians were held.

While it does not appear to be the same house as used in the TV show The Flash, the movie has done a good job of giving it the same feeling.  I had to look up the TV show to make sure they weren't using the same one.

Nice to have Zod back, though the fact that he's still wearing his face shield suggests he's not up to power yet.

The double Flash mirror-look sequence had me remembering the Pollux storyline that I believe was the last episode of the 1990s TV series.   I wonder if it would be possible for either John Wesley Shipp or Grant Gustin to return the favor and have a brief cameo in Eza's movie.

I like the suit for this film.  The "plates held by chicken wire" look of Ezra's first appearance didn't really do it for me.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

I'm most interested in this:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.342e4cef3af859aa2ac7ea23e890862e.png

It's a bit fuzzy on my screen.  Is that one of the Barrys or could that be a Kal-El lifted by Kara-El?  Or for that matter, maybe Kal's clone?  If Cadmus is involved, I'd not be surprised on either score.

I went back over the trailer and didn't hear Keaton's character called "Bruce" at any point.  In the animated Flashpoint, one of the surprises to Flash is that the Batman is old and is not Bruce but Thomas Wayne, who is the survivor of Crime Alley in his existence.  Might that be a surprise twist where Keaton is actually playing  ol' Thomas Wayne?

I like the turn in this version, that the Kryptonian kept from the sun and left in rags is actually Kara, not Kal.  It definitely plays into the multiverse idea.  Still, referencing my first line, I'd not be surprised to find both Kryptonians were held.

While it does not appear to be the same house as used in the TV show The Flash, the movie has done a good job of giving it the same feeling.  I had to look up the TV show to make sure they weren't using the same one.

Nice to have Zod back, though the fact that he's still wearing his face shield suggests he's not up to power yet.

The double Flash mirror-look sequence had me remembering the Pollux storyline that I believe was the last episode of the 1990s TV series.   I wonder if it would be possible for either John Wesley Shipp or Grant Gustin to return the favor and have a brief cameo in Eza's movie.

I like the suit for this film.  The "plates held by chicken wire" look of Ezra's first appearance didn't really do it for me.

Spoiler

When I saw it I thought it could be Thomas Wayne as well.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Spoiler
18 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Yup, I suppose a costumed lunatic in million-dollar MotoCross armour would be one of the few insane enough to ride one.

I have my own ride picked out for any heroics, which is less likely to kill me before I get to the crime scene. And better for a stealthy arrival.

25 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Looking at the footwear and hair, I'd say it's not Kal, so it could be Barry. Or a Barry, since there seem to be several. Or someone we haven't yet met.

28 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

I wonder if it would be possible for either John Wesley Shipp or Grant Gustin to return the favor and have a brief cameo in Ezra's movie.

The TV series is sadly ending, so having the DCEU Flashpoint event end or bottle its universe - or have Grant show up as one of the multiple Flashes - would be fun.

19 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:
  Hide contents

Yup, I suppose a costumed lunatic in million-dollar MotoCross armour would be one of the few insane enough to ride one.

I have my own ride picked out for any heroics, which is less likely to kill me before I get to the crime scene. And better for a stealthy arrival.

Looking at the footwear and hair, I'd say it's not Kal, so it could be Barry. Or a Barry, since there seem to be several. Or someone we haven't yet met.

The TV series is sadly ending, so having the DCEU Flashpoint event end or bottle its universe - or have Grant show up as one of the multiple Flashes - would be fun.

I think the quote system messed up a little there OG.

Edited by Frostbiter

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

2 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

I think the quote system messed up a little there OG.

Weird... when I open it up I can see all three quotes from you... anyhow, you get the idea.

• Tomahawk is a death machine for crazy people and I'd much prefer a LiveWire (though why they didn't call it an ElectraGlide-E or similar is beyond me)
  • The person being carried looks more like Barry
  • Having the TV Flash crew show up would be fun, and much deserved after a 6 year run

Side note... I wonder if the Gunn-era CW shows will still have the specific CW clean-teen attiudes? They often developed depth as the writers got more wriggle room, but...

Don't have a LOT of hope for this.

But they're going to get at least a ticket out of me for one reason.

Spoiler

This made me squee like an army of little girls at a  bunny convention!!!

Edited by Hyperstrike

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

15 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Weird... when I open it up I can see all three quotes from you... anyhow, you get the idea.

• Tomahawk is a death machine for crazy people and I'd much prefer a LiveWire (though why they didn't call it an ElectraGlide-E or similar is beyond me)
  • The person being carried looks more like Barry
  • Having the TV Flash crew show up would be fun, and much deserved after a 6 year run

Side note... I wonder if the Gunn-era CW shows will still have the specific CW clean-teen attiudes? They often developed depth as the writers got more wriggle room, but...

I blame @Techwright for trying to combine multiquotes and spoiler tags. You broke the universe dude.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG: