Will CoH run on the new Apple M1 Processor-based hardware?

Abraxus

I was reading about the power that Apple's internally developed processor (M1 Pro, and M1 Max) brings to their new MacBooks, and, no doubt, soon to be included in their desktop offerings as well.  As connected as I am to CoH, I guess it's should have come as no surprise to myself when the first thing that came to mind is how this would affect the ability of CoH to run natively on the MAC OS. 

Anybody got any information in this area?

Edited by Abraxus

What was no more, is REBORN!

Interesting.  I would have thought the architectural differences would have required some major coding changes, or a backwards-compatibilty shell of some kind to be in place.  Kind of like when Apple went from the PowerPC chip, to Intel archtecture. 

What was no more, is REBORN!

1 minute ago, Abraxus said:

Interesting.  I would have thought the architectural differences would have required some major coding changes, or a backwards-compatibilty shell of some kind to be in place.  Kind of like when Apple went from the PowerPC chip, to Intel archtecture. 

M1-based Macs can run tradtional Mac software.  However, they don't typically get the excellent performance that one sees attributed to them except for software designed for the new architecture.  (There's some kind of translation or emulation layer that lets them run "normal" Mac software).

Since CoH is so old, we generally aren't depending a lot on high-end performance in order to have a good game experience.  But I'd be interested in people who have run CoH on the existing M1 Macs chiming in about their performance experiences.

4 hours ago, Abraxus said:

Very good points, but give or take some related bumps, Manga has been doing an awesome job keeping things running. Give or take a MacOS update breaking things here and there. Checkout my links for some help and see some of the threads I've commented in this past month for the other troubleshooting as needed. As always, HC has a discord as well for more realtime stuff.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

5 hours ago, Abraxus said:

It runs through Wine, which is running through (AFAIK) Rosetta. There are several people on these boards running the game on M1 machines and haven't reported any performance issues.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

Aren't we quite a ways from hardware being a defining element of application compatibility? Seems abstraction and virtualization and so forth is universal. This isn't the era where you had to have a specific BIOS to run Flight Simulator because it bypassed DOS for direct hardware calls. 🙂

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Yeah, COH is definitely operational over virtualization. I think I ran 10 instances over my own server using less than 16GBs of RAM and maaaaaaaybe 2 cores of my CPU? Maybe? Virtualization is the future man, just tell the program you got what it needs and the program doesn't know any difference between a physical system and a virtual one. I dunno how that works on modern stuff, but it works pretty universally (with the right software supporting) over virtualization.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 10/19/2021 at 7:31 AM, Shenanigunner said:

Aren't we quite a ways from hardware being a defining element of application compatibility? Seems abstraction and virtualization and so forth is universal. This isn't the era where you had to have a specific BIOS to run Flight Simulator because it bypassed DOS for direct hardware calls. 🙂

Ehhh, not exactly. On an M1 Mac the game is being run through at least two layers of translation/emulation so there's a bit of overhead. It'll run though.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube