IN set conversions...

bodenee

This burning thru 60 or more converters to get the same 2 back n forth has got to stop!! BULLSHIT!! I say!!!

I mean C'MON!!! There's ONLY 6 in each set!!... shouldn't it go thru the whole set BEFORE it starts repeating?!?!?

Edited by bodenee
  • Haha 2

I feel as if anecdotally, I'm a bit of an expert in this, as I literally use about 1000-3000 converters a day, at least, depending on the day. 

I've had these types of conversion fits with Aegis - where the psi resist gets converted to end/recharge and back to psi resist 3 to 4 times before it will turn into one of the other 4. Sometimes, as many as 6 times. It happens. I don't write it down or anything. I just know it happens. But, it doesn't happen often enough for me to think the rng is broken. But that's just my experience with it. Similar experiences with Obliteration, where I'll be looking for the proc or the quad, and continue to get the dam or acc/recharge. 

But, what happens to me far more often is I'll go from converting a rare hold, out of set and get an lotg 7.5%. So...that's fairly rare, but it does happen. 

Both of these happen. And if I can live with the latter, seems like I should be able to live with the former. 

I do think if they implemented an in-set cycle, where they don't repeat, the cost of the converter from a merit vendor should be much, much higher. Like 5 reward merits for 1 converter. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really don't think the code to make it random is really exact.. The same for the 20 year old random function. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bodenee said:

This burning thru 60 or more converters to get the same 2 back n forth has got to stop!! BULLSHIT!! I say!!!

I mean C'MON!!! There's ONLY 6 in each set!!... shouldn't it go thru the whole set BEFORE it starts repeating?!?!?

Random is random...but it do be like that sometimes. 

• Like 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

What if we added a "Convert to Specific Enhancement" at x10 the cost?

So, law of averages says you'll still get lucky by roll #6 . . . but if you'd rather not take your chances, you get the option to just sink the extra Converters and get your guaranteed result.

If it's still too powerful, make it a "once every 18 hours" sort of thing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

What if we added a "Convert to Specific Enhancement" at x10 the cost?

So, law of averages says you'll still get lucky by roll #6 . . . but if you'd rather not take your chances, you get the option to just sink the extra Converters and get your guaranteed result.

If it's still too powerful, make it a "once every 18 hours" sort of thing?

I'm down for that. Maybe even 20x?

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

23 hours ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Random is random...but it do be like that sometimes. 

Not really true.. 

You can google several articles about random functions literally being broken..  

1 minute ago, plainguy said:

Not really true.. 

I can, but I won't. 🤙

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, plainguy said:

Like how Final Fantasy X on PS2 has over 32 million random seeds to determine encounters, hit rolls and drops.  The FFX HD remake had a change that left the game with only 256 random seeds.  So random number generators can be very poor sometimes.

I did enough research on the matter that I feel confident that (with respect to conversion) there is no reason to believe that the process is not random or psuedo-random.  Sometimes you are gonna flip a coin and get heads ten times in a row.

Let me find some examples with data:

Edited by Yomo Kimyata

Who run Bartertown?

A game I played back in the day, Fire Emblem 7, had a primitive enough RNG that you could manipulate it to give you better stat increases when you have a character level up. I'm sure CoX has a more advanced RNG since it has much more resources available compared to a Game Boy Advanced, but I'm open to the idea that it can not work as intended sometimes.