What are the powersets with the least rooting and/or fastest animations?

c67f

There are probably exceptions, but generally speaking, powers that affect enemies root you for the duration of the animation.  Powers that affect only yourself and/or your allies usually don't unless it's part of the theme of the power (e.g. Hibernate).  Powers that summon pets, including stationary pets like Spirit Trees or Triage beacons that only buff/heal allies, still root you for their animation.

So... look for buff/heal sets among support powersets and self-defense/passive armor sets among melee types.  e.g. Super Reflexes has nothing that roots you.   But sets that have accurate heals/endurance drains like Radiation, Bio, and Energy Armors (to name a few) have a power or two that can root you.  Toggle heavy armor sets will only root you if the toggle can affect enemies and then only when you activate the toggle... not when it is later affecting enemies while enabled.  So Dark Armor for example, despite having a lot of powers that affect enemies, only really roots you during combat when you use the AoE heal since you're probably leaving the other toggles running.

It's a bit different with attack sets.  While you are running an attack chain, you're rooted, whether that chain is composed of many light/fast attacks or fewer slow/heavy attacks.  The difference, I suppose, is that the fast chain gives you more opportunities to break off, change your mind.    A good example is found in the DFB trial.  It can suck if you just started a long animation power at the same time you notice a green bubble forming beneath you while fighting the Hydra heads.  You're rooted for maybe three seconds doing Sands of Mu instead of 1 second doing a tier 1 fast attack, say.  So if that's what you mean, go with fast attack sets for the most chances to move if you need to move.  Sets like claws, katana, savage melee,   I don't know the blast sets as well.  Archery probably?  There's a mix of long/short animations in most I think.  Snipes and Nukes being long rooting powers.  etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2021 at 12:39 PM, ZemX said:

"There are probably exceptions, but generally speaking, powers that affect enemies root you for the duration of the animation.  Powers that affect only yourself and/or your allies usually don't unless it's part of the theme of the power (e.g. Hibernate).  Powers that summon pets, including stationary pets like Spirit Trees or Triage beacons that only buff/heal allies, still root you for their animation."

Oh, right! I've long wondered why my tanker sets mostly don't root me, but the taunt auras do! Never put that together/bothered researching it. 

On 11/8/2021 at 1:46 PM, Haijinx said:

A lot of Attack Sets with have Mostly quick attacks ... 

• Claws (minus Eviscerate) 
  • Fire Blast (minus the fire breath thing) 
  • Street Justice (Minus Smashing haymaker) 
  • Martial Arts (Minus Eagle's Claw) 

Good thing StJ doesn't have Smashing Haymaker. :classic_biggrin: Longest cast time is Crushing Uppercut that's at 2.17 seconds for cast time which is second best from what I have seen in terms of being the slowest to cast from a set. So yeah, hardly worth mentioning. MA might be the fastest outside of EC.

FYI, Kat doesn't have a cast time at 2+ seconds. I don't know of another melee set which does that.

Support sets can be rather quick as well which is nice for steam rolling end game teams. Thermal and Cold come to mind. I think Sonic should qualify as well or at least be close. Something like a toggle might root you for a bit, but then it is a toggle.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

Good thing StJ doesn't have Smashing Haymaker. :classic_biggrin: Longest cast time is Crushing Impact that's at 2.17 seconds for cast time which is second best from what I have seen in terms of being the slowest to cast from a set. So yeah, hardly worth mentioning. MA might be the fastest outside of EC.

FYI, Kat doesn't have a cast time at 2+ seconds. I don't know of another melee set which does that.

Support sets can be rather quick as well which is nice for steam rolling end game teams. Thermal and Cold come to mind. I think Sonic should qualify as well or at least be close. Something like a toggle might root you for a bit, but then it is a toggle.

Lol, thats the one I meant.

Also isnt it Crushing Undercut?

Edited by Haijinx

3 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Lol, thats the one I meant.

Also isnt it Crushing Undercut?

I actually it is. I almost wrote CU so I know it isn't Impact. I saw the name and thought it was odd it was the same as the IO set.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

ranged = ice (fastest attacks mixed with 2 rains and a slower activation power)

melee = claws

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum