Well, our jetpacks aren't so far-fetched now!

RikOz

Jet packs have been around for decades.

My favorite thus far is the one Yves Rossy designed in 2006, a winged jet pack not terribly dissimilar to the ones in the game (a wonderful example of science fiction preceding science).  In 2012, he appeared on an episode of Top Gear (Season 18, episode 5) in a race against a rally car.  He's still performing demonstrations as recently as 2020.

And someone out there is having fun in California right now.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

23 hours ago, Cancrusher said:

Cool.  By the time I'm getting ready to croak, people will probably be zipping around in the things (and flying cars), everywhere. 😎

Flying cars have already been prototyped, some with the intent to go into production, but they've never been legalized or mass-produced, and likely never will unless they're controlled by something other than a human driver.  People can't drive ground-based cars now without crashing into everything between them and their destination, no government in their right mind would allow those same people to fly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:02 PM, Cancrusher said:

Cool.  By the time I'm getting ready to croak, people will probably be zipping around in the things (and flying cars), everywhere. 😎

Oh man I hope not - people can't even be trusted to drive properly, and I am hesitant to see self-flying cars deployed on a mass scale;  These will likely be the domain of the ultra-wealthy for a long time to come...

Edited by biostem

Well, you do have a point there.  Hopefully they'll have the risk assessment aspect ironed out before the populace at large can afford to own one.  I'm guessing they're banking on self-driving vehicles to take care of that problem.  We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.  🤷‍♂️

On 2/13/2022 at 7:18 PM, Cancrusher said:

Well, you do have a point there.  Hopefully they'll have the risk assessment aspect ironed out before the populace at large can afford to own one.  I'm guessing they're banking on self-driving vehicles to take care of that problem.  We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.  🤷‍♂️

Despite the hype, there's still a lot of R&D between "self-driving" and "road-ready", and another huge gap between that and "affordable".  Don't hold your breath.