New Back Detail Category: WEAPONS

Kaelit

Since we've already got the models, I'm wondering how hard it would be to stick a static weapon slung over back instead of a cape. I'm guessing it wouldn't work with all weapons (some TW options are just too ridiculous), but some of the simpler ones might work: rifles, one handed blades, axes, maces.

C'mon, Suggestions. Tell me why it can't be done 😜

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

The biggest issue I see is if it's part of your costume AND part of your powerset, you'll probably see two of them in combat. 

AR/Dev blaster, with an assault rifle slung across their back AND one in their hands as they fire Burst.

Battle Axe strapped to your back AND in your hands as they do Beheader. 

etc.

Getting it to conditionally appear.... to make it look like you're actually grabbing it off your back and using it in a fight, and returning it to your back when the fight ends.... would be trickier. It would be super cool, don't get me wrong. But a quick-and-dirty version that is divorced from the weapon you actually use in combat would feel.... lacking. At least to me. 

That said, I don't have to choose to use it, either.

And there's something to be said for proof-of-concept / babysteps.

I still cling to hope that Illusion Control / Mirror will one day lead to full MM pet customization. 

• Like 1

Having two of the same weapon (one as costume on back and one as actual weapon being used) requires no more imagination to view the worn item as temporarily not there than it does to imagine it is there prior to you magically pulling the weapon out of thin air like we currently do.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to match punctuation in statement.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MTeague said:

The biggest issue I see is if it's part of your costume AND part of your powerset, you'll probably see two of them in combat. 

Perhaps it could be some sort of aura, using the  "in combat" option to have the weapon or shield model disappear, (though in the case of shield defense, you have it on your arm whenever you have a toggle running).

• Like 2

That there is some serious out of the box thinking! Create a new "aura" for back weapons? An out of combat aura instead of an in combat aura? Would be effectively the same thing. The combat flag would enable the combat aura which is a null, and the flag not being present for being out of combat disables the "aura" rendering the weapon on the back again. Or just have a present/not present flag that toggles in/out of combat.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Rudra said:

That there is some serious out of the box thinking! Create a new "aura" for back weapons? An out of combat aura instead of an in combat aura? Would be effectively the same thing. The combat flag would enable the combat aura which is a null, and the flag not being present for being out of combat disables the "aura" rendering the weapon on the back again. Or just have a present/not present flag that toggles in/out of combat.

Heck, the triggering of the "in combat" flag could also force you to do the weapon-draw animation as well, to better sell the immersion...

• Like 1

• Lead Game Master

Hey, completely off-topic *cough*, have you played the ASF? The part where you fight Apex?

Next time you do, just... keep a close eye on him.

We now return to your regularly scheduled topic, already in progress 😃

Edited by GM Impervium
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

Man that's a suggestion! Makes me think what the OP suggested and what others have said, going back and forth, or really back to back its a great concept. I'm sure some one will have my back and agree with me. Back me in to a corner with a sword or gun and I might change my mind though. 

Back on topic though, does anyone know what the apex of the back is called? 😄 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

12 hours ago, MTeague said:

[...]

Getting it to conditionally appear.... to make it look like you're actually grabbing it off your back and using it in a fight, and returning it to your back when the fight ends.... would be trickier.

Not tricky at all. Customized weapons are just animated costume pieces, like wings, only their "animation" is just being invisible unless your character is in the matching weapon combat stance. Holstered weapons would just be the reverse, always visible unless your character enters the matching weapon combat stance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow! I thought just having them on our back would be enough of an ask, but I love the enthusiasm and glad to see I'm not the only one who needs a STOP sign slung over my back!

My only problem with the aura idea would be if I used two sets of weapons (DP/Kat) I'd have to pick which one I'd want displayed since I doubt there'd be options for each of your weapons - then again, the same goes for a back detail weapon, which is why I propose a secondary change:

Use the tail slot for weapons that hang from your belt!

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.