New Toon To-Do List

oddrobin

New Toon To-Do List

If you logged into City of Heroes for the first time, made your first ever character, materialized into the game, and had no idea what the crack was going on, I highly recommend reading these  following guides before reading the New Toon To-Do List: 

Now you’re somewhat familiar with the game and your altitis is flaring up. You’ve created a fresh new toon and you’re staring up the steps at the gaggle of heroes surrounding Ms. Liberty (or Arbiter Richard if you’re nasty). What should you do first? Here are my suggestions:

COSTUMES

1. Talk to the trainer  (e.g., Ms. Liberty) and choose “Customize Your Appearance.”
  2. Edit/Create six costumes for free before level 10.

VISIT THE PAY2WIN VENDOR (P2W)

1. Blue Side: She is a lady in a smart skirt suit standing in front of the moat on the west side of the Atlas statue platform. Atlas’s right side. There is also one in Pocket D.
  2. Red Side: Mercy Island, up on the platform near the “hospital.” There is also one in Pocket D.
  3. Gold Side: I know there’s one there. That is all.

Free Options I like

XP Boost
Show me your wares > All > Temporary Powers > Buffs > Experience Boosters

• Choose your boost level, but know boosting XP downscales the amount of influence earned.
  • Double XP = 0 influence

Extra travel powers
Show me your wares > All > Prestige Powers > Travel > 

• Jump Pack
  • Beast Run / Ninja Run / Athletic Run (choose one based on your vibe)
  • Prestige Sprints (strictly cosmetic; cannot be revoked)

Extra Attack Power

Show me your wares > All > Prestige Powers > Attacks

• Ghost Slaying Axe
  • Sands of Mu
  • Nemesis Staff
  • Blackwand

Bonus Buff Power

Show me your wares > All > Prestige Powers > Utility > Buff Powers

(Can choose one):

• Inner Inspiration (gives you three big inspirations; long recharge)
  • Mystic Fortune (lets you foretell other heroes’ fortunes)
  • Secondary Mutation (grants a random buff, but there is a slight chance you become a rikti monkey)

Temporary Buff Pet

Show me your wares > All > Prestige Powers > Buffs:

(Can choose one):

• Power Pet: +resistance and +damage
  • Shield Pet: +defense and +recovery

GAME OPTIONS

Menu > Options
     General Tab

• Team Options

Auto-accept level changes above by: set to 50

Auto-accept Sidekick level changes below by: set to 50

Keymapping Tab

• Movement > Auto-run

Map this to Ctrl+R to prevent accidental auto running

Windows Tab (these are my personal preferences)

• Reticle

Personal Player Name: Always Show

• Chat

Filter Profanity: Disable

• Powers

Lock Tray Numbers (this can also be achieved by right-clicking a power tray)

• Window Buff Displays (Status, Group, Pet)

Hide Auto Powers

Icon Stacking: Numerical (three categories)

OUROBOROS PORTAL

Ask via either the local, general, broadcast, or help channel for an Ouro portal to be dropped near your location. A helpful player will usually oblige.

Pocket D

A delivery truck serving as a gateway to the hottest club in Paragon City and the Rogue Isles is located northeast of the Atlas Statue, parked in a nearby parking lot.

Null the Gull: Null is a seagull on top of a truck towards the redside of the club

• Change Mystic Fortune option to “Always Accept”
  • Disable travel power pop-up tray
  • Null can instantly change your alignment

P2W: There is also a P2W vendor in Pocket D standing near the entrance to the redside of the club

Macro to enter a cosmic portal base

Copy then paste the / line into the in-game chat area:

Everlasting
/macroimage Veteran_TeleportBase Base "enterbasefrompasscode Zone-8888"

Excelsior
/macroimage Teleportation_Loyalist Base "enterbasefrompasscode COSMICTRANSPORT-6608"

Indomitable
/macroimage "E_Icon_StreetCred" "Indo Hub" "enterbasefrompasscode hub-6968"

Reunion
/macro VV enterbasefrompasscode VV-4913

Torchbearer
/macroimage Teleportation_Loyalist Base "enterbasefrompasscode TBTP-7677"

dIRrgKFrB0R_3aTNww_20dwiVsDWZs2WW4DFk6KAzbRoRvWYBpfP7m1CwOJhse-xGlFHFX9Q4o5STp6IHm0JfjuimGFDjDuHiM_siSm0he2NxdMJIohpOctNQE73F0deQmaBtN0K

Fig. 1. Labels of three locations in Atlas Park mentioned in this guide

• Like 2

After you’ve earned some influence to shop for a few more perks, revisit the P2W vendor for some of my favorite buys:

Pay2Win: Perks to Buy

Mission Travel Powers

All > Prestige Powers > Travel > Teleport

• Assemble the Team $1,000,000 inf
  • Team Transport Power $10,000,000 inf

Miscellaneous P2W Purchase Suggestions

• Reject Small Inspirations $5,000 inf

Show me your wares > All > Inspiration Drops > Disable

• Reveal (shows the whole map of a mission) $10,000 inf 

Show me your wares > All > Prestige Powers > Utility > Miscellaneous

• Resurrection Power $1,000,000 inf 

All > Prestige Powers > Utility > Miscellaneous

Renewal of Light: Revives with ½ HP and Endurance, invulnerable for 20 seconds, blasts nearby foes (good get-away option)

Return to Battle: Revives buffed with all large inspirations (good to continue battling)

• Portable Workbench $10,000,000 

All > Prestige Powers > Utility > Miscellaneous

• Like 2

Just a few points, I always go over to the hellions and level up one or two levels before I take the double xp buff because that way you will have a small amount of defeat reward inf to cover the vendor fees when you sell at the AH.

What am I selling? The three insps from the P2W buff that gives you the insps every couple of hours. Just need to sell them the first time. 

Also I always go get the eight explore badges and convert the 5 merits into a booster? and then sell that. I always sell at one inf albeit you need 5 for the vendor fees.

Both together will get you very close to a million inf so I then go and get the 2xp buff.

At Null I also set speed buffs to not affect me and also group fly  and also to always deny mystic fortunes.

And just because I can and at lvl one or two I hit tunnel system into night ward and get midnighter badge and then hop over to First Ward and get the guarenteed  Denial of Service badge.

I also set up a few macro’s that all my alts have.

Oh yes nearly forgot, after getting my million inf I always purchase a couple of hours of the small jetpack and the reveal power both from the P2W lady.

Probably spend approx 30 minutes doing all that and then you can lose a life working on the costumes 😀

Cheers

• Thumbs Up 3

You can purchase a 5000 flying device at p2w.  Get the 8 exploration badges in atlas and earn 5 merits.  Convert 5 merits into 15 converters. Sell on AH for 1 influence. Collect $.

You can also do echo atlas park and echo galaxy city for 10 more merits.  $$$.

• Thumbs Up 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:21 PM, Sakai said:

Did not see the Mission Transporter listed beside the Team one. 

I've stopped getting the Mission Transporter because it has never, ever, not one time, worked for me. Is there a secret trick to it? I'd love to know!

6 minutes ago, oddrobin said:

I've stopped getting the Mission Transporter because it has never, ever, not one time, worked for me. Is there a secret trick to it? I'd love to know!

Just need the mission set and then it works fine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2022 at 5:06 PM, oddrobin said:

The Mission Transporter will not work if the mission chosen doesn't have a door entrance.  Example: talk to Joe Blow.  Otherwise it should work just fine.

Also, if you haven't specifically chosen a mission, it will default to the first mission in your mission list.  I mess that up all the time.

Who run Bartertown?

5 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The Mission Transporter will not work if the mission chosen doesn't have a door entrance.  Example: talk to Joe Blow.  Otherwise it should work just fine.

Also, if you haven't specifically chosen a mission, it will default to the first mission in your mission list.  I mess that up all the time.

I love these tips. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later
On 2/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, Jacktar said:

Just a few points, I always go over to the hellions and level up one or two levels before I take the double xp buff because that way you will have a small amount of defeat reward inf to cover the vendor fees when you sell at the AH.

Depending on how you want to play, you may want to delay getting the 2XP boost longer. I normally take the first missions from Rick Davies and Azuria down in City Hall, then run Matthew Habashy's arc to get introduced to Sondra Costel, then her missions to get introduced to Aaron Thierry, who would become inaccessible if you're too high. Once I have his first mission (and arc), then I pick up the XP boost, and do Azuria's and Davies' missions at increased level to account for my being higher level at that point.

Hi srmalloy, yes good info and very valid.

I think the actual point we both want to highlite is that the temptation to grab the free 2xp boost immediately is strong, but should be delayed by whatever time it takes to achieve which objective route you want.

Having said that, I have been known to do just that if my shiny new alt arrives at Ms Liberty at the same time as a shout for DFB goes up. I will grab the buff and do the DFB and then just cancel it out whilst I then do my usual new alt routine 😄

I always pick up a bunch of charges of plasmatic taser from the P2W now as well.  5,000 inf for 24 charges.  It is basically a clone of the power "energy torrent" and is a great early aoe attack power at low level when a lot of characters otherwise have no aoe.  Quick casting and good damage and should hit well early on thanks to the bonus +tohit you get at low levels.    There is a grenade aoe one as well, but I tend to like plasmatic taser better as it is quicker.

Anyway, cheap way to make the early levels go much faster, especially if you are trying to solo them.