Removing -Fear in Storm Summoning Powers

blue4333

The -fear status effect in Tornado and Lightning Storm causes mobs to run all over the place. This is extremely annoying when playing Storm Summoning on an AT without immob or playing on a team without a Tank/Brute. Even then the taunt aura isn't fool proof and mobs still scatter.

Is the -fear status effect meant to keep Storm Summoning from being top tier? If so, what would be the negative impact if the -fear status effect was removed from Tornado and Lightning Storm?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

@The_Warpact, you gonna give a reason for the thumbs down? The OP asked a question. I never used the set, so I can't answer. You thumbs downed the OP, so hopefully you have an answer. You wanna share?

No and no.

I didn't know it was required that anyone had to explain themselves if they disagreed with something. 

But, I'll be friendly now that I have time to respond. 

The game is built upon a series of checks and balances, removing a component of said powers removes the balance of that power.

To put it simply people aren't just going to stand there while a tornado is racing towards them or stand in a lightning storm.

No they are going to run, hence the fear component. Mind you it doesn't affect every enemy.

That being said typically I put Storm with a controller set to lock enemies in place and then unleash hell on them. Hence no running away.

The game is easy enough, the continued wishing for things to be easier is an annoyance. Build your toon to take these things into consideration, instead of nerfing something. Hence the thumbs down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

36 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

No and no.

I didn't know it was required that anyone had to explain themselves if they disagreed with something. 

The game is built upon a series of checks and balances, removing a component of said powers removes the balance of that power.

To put it simply people aren't just going to stand there while a tornado is racing towards them or stand in a lightning storm.

No they are going to run, hence the fear component. Mind you it doesn't affect every enemy.

That being said typically I put Storm with a controller set to lock enemies in place and then unleash hell on them. Hence no running away.

The game is easy enough, the continued wishing for things to be easier is an annoyance. Build your toon to take these things into consideration, instead of nerfing something. Hence the thumbs down.

Doesn't that mean all kinds of AoE damage effects with a duration, should ALSO trigger Fear?  How about Meteor in Seismic Blast?

Do you feel Storm Summoning is on par with other support sets overall?  Or are you just opposed to any positive change to sets, due to the game being "easy enough" already? 

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Menelruin said:

Or are you just opposed to any positive change to sets, due to the game being "easy enough" already? 

Thats not a positive change, its nerfing an effect of a power and disrupting its balance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

No and no.

It isn't required, but it is appreciated.

P.S.  I thought your answer was thorough, succinct, and well-argued, and I completely agree with it.  

Edited by Cancrusher
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cancrusher said:

It isn't required, but it is appreciated.

P.S.  I thought your answer was thorough, succinct, and well-argued, and I completely agree with it.  

Having a really really bad day in the ole Healthcare industry and I'm afraid it's spilling out into the forums...not an excuse but an explanation. 

• Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Having a really really bad day in the ole Healthcare industry and I'm afraid it's spilling out into the forums...not an excuse but an explanation. 

What React do I give here that's the equivalent to FB "Care"?

P.S., someone is alive because of your suffering, and it will always be worth it.  Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blue4333 said:

The -fear status effect in Tornado and Lightning Storm causes mobs to run all over the place. This is extremely annoying when playing Storm Summoning on an AT without immob or playing on a team without a Tank/Brute. Even then the taunt aura isn't fool proof and mobs still scatter.

Is the -fear status effect meant to keep Storm Summoning from being top tier? If so, what would be the negative impact if the -fear status effect was removed from Tornado and Lightning Storm?

I think Storm Summoning is one of the rare sets that were created for Issue 1 and haven't needed any(?) changes since then because it has worked so well. I am adamantly against any changes to the set either on Corruptor or Defender. I haven't tried it on other ATs, so I don't have an opinion for those.

• Like 3

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I think Storm Summoning is one of the rare sets that were created for Issue 1 and haven't needed any(?) changes since then because it has worked so well. I am adamantly against any changes to the set either on Corruptor or Defender. I haven't tried it on other ATs, so I don't have an opinion for those.

I have it on troller and MM, and boy is it a killer.

As a Troller locking down a mob and releasing holy hell upon them is sssooo satisfying. 

On MMs the extra mitigation coupled with damage and the pets wrecking everything in sight. You should try it GP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Menelruin said:

Do you feel Storm Summoning is on par with other support sets overall?  

Storm Summoning is *better* than other support sets, overall.

And before you pick cherries, yes, sets like Time are better, but sets like Thermal, Empathy, Sonic, ect don't touch its level of offense and personal safety.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Naraka said:

Storm Summoning is *better* than other support sets, overall.

And before you pick cherries, yes, sets like Time are better, but sets like Thermal, Empathy, Sonic, ect don't touch its level of offense and personal safety.

I thought most teams hated it due to the chaos it caused?  My bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I have it on troller and MM, and boy is it a killer.

As a Troller locking down a mob and releasing holy hell upon them is sssooo satisfying. 

On MMs the extra mitigation coupled with damage and the pets wrecking everything in sight. You should try it GP.

I wish I could get in to the MM AT, but I always find myself deleting the build when I realize it's not fun telling henchmen to attack something and have to wait a while for enough damage to be dealt to each enemy. It's like Sentinels, fun AT but such a slog because damage output is balanced lower due to damage mitigation. 

I've honestly not tried Controllers, what would you recommend pairing with Storm? Fire Control?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 minute ago, Glacier Peak said:

I wish I could get in to the MM AT, but I always find myself deleting the build when I realize it's not fun telling henchmen to attack something and have to wait a while for enough damage to be dealt to each enemy. It's like Sentinels, fun AT but such a slog because damage output is balanced lower due to damage mitigation. 

I've honestly not tried Controllers, what would you recommend pairing with Storm? Fire Control?

I had with Electric/ and Necro. Fire would be good so much stuff to stack.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Menelruin said:

I thought most teams hated it due to the chaos it caused?  My bad.

It's an interesting and frankly refreshing take on what support can mean - the set does offer the classic buffs and heals, but it's debuffs are what make it super versatile and unique. Because it deviates from that classic role, it takes a little trial and error to play to its fullest. 

• Like 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

I have tried Storm Summoning on Controllers and on a Corruptor. But it really does seem like the Controller pairings (those with immob powers at least) is more efficient.

It's a shame because Ice Blast or Water Blast pairings with Storm Summoning are thematic but not that good because of the mob scattering. It feels kinda guilty playing a Water/Storm corruptor on a team and making the enemies scatter away from the tank/team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Fire control/Storm Summoning is a favorite of mine, but it has a lot of issues to overcome - endurance consumption being a glaring one. This was my main back on live and I was forced to carry blue inspirations around for the majority of my time using that character, ageless core alleviates this problem by a good amount but endurance consumption can still be an issue depending on your tornado/lightning storm/freezing rain frequency.

My favorite part about the combo, and why I enjoy it so much - is because it almost feels like a Dom but with a much different approach to combat in how it deals it's damage. I enjoy location based powers and fire/storm has 3 of them!

Edited by Ratch_
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ratch_ said:

Fire control/Storm Summoning is a favorite of mine, but it has a lot of issues to overcome - endurance consumption being a glaring one. This was my main back on live and I was forced to carry blue inspirations around for the majority of my time using that character, ageless core alleviates this problem by a good amount but endurance consumption can still be an issue depending on your tornado/lightning storm/freezing rain frequency.

My favorite part about the combo, and why I enjoy it so much - is because it almost feels like a Dom but with a much different approach to combat in how it deals it's damage. I enjoy location based powers and fire/storm has 3 of them!

Interesting! I'm a big fan of Targeted AOEs (I main an Ice/Cold Corruptor). Bonfire looks like a great complementary power. I'll have to check it out, maybe see what I can do about the endurance issues. 

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

I think people who complain about Storm scattering/causing enemy Flee response...

Don't know how to play Storm Summoning. 

Gale and Hurricane aren't in the set by accident, y'all. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

9 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Works quite well with Gravity due to the synergy with Wormhole.

3 hours ago, krj12 said:

The fear effect either causes the mob to run or to stand still in place trembling.    I'd be ok with removing the "running" component of the effect, which

would effectively make it like a hold.

These are two different status effects. Trembling in place is caused by "terrorize", which is generated by powers like Fearsome Stare, Spectral Terror and Terrify. Running away is caused by "afraid", which is generated by powers like Tornado, Lightning Storm and Hot Feet, or "avoid", which is generated by powers like Freezing Rain, ignited Oil Slick and Whirlpool.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

36 minutes ago, blue4333 said:

It's a shame because Ice Blast or Water Blast pairings with Storm Summoning are thematic but not that good because of the mob scattering. It feels kinda guilty playing a Water/Storm corruptor on a team and making the enemies scatter away from the tank/team.

29 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Gale and Hurricane aren't in the set by accident, y'all. 

And there is your answer blue, use the controls in the set to help corral the mobs.

Saying it takes away from the melee toons is like saying why take anything that causes damage because its taking away from all the damage dealers.

You're right on the edge of the precipice about to have an epiphany on how to utilize all the tools at your disposal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, blue4333 said:

I have tried Storm Summoning on Controllers and on a Corruptor. But it really does seem like the Controller pairings (those with immob powers at least) is more efficient.

A lot of my characters are based on Mega Man bosses, and I've longed for Wind Control so I can properly make Air Man....

Hasn't been an issue for my Storm / Sonic defender. 

Between Freezing Rain and Snow Storm I have tools to make fleeing mobs move very very slowly. 

And I can always Gale them back into a corner, or Hurricane-Repel them back into the playing field.

Remember also, mobs that are trying to run from you, are mobs that are NOT shooting back at you. Free hits while they're running. Just make sure they run really really slow.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, Menelruin said:

A lot of my characters are based on Mega Man bosses, and I've longed for Wind Control so I can properly make Air Man....

Make sure to push those mobs into the insta-death spikes and pits. Make Storm Eagle proud.

• Haha 3