Theft of Essence Proc in a damage aura...?

Snarky

6 hours ago, Ironblade said:

In my experience, NOTHING burns through endurance faster than you can keep up - *IF* you build to accommodate that END usage.

I built Toggle Man based on a prose piece back on the live forums.  He's a spines/dark armor scrapper and runs: Quills, Dark Embrace, Death Shroud, Murky Cloud, Obsidian Shield, Cloak of Darkness, Cloak of Fear, Assault, Maneuvers, Tactics, Tough, Weave, Combat Jumping, Acrobatics, Sprint and Focused Accuracy.  And he can actually use melee attacks while running all that.  I've played him to level 49 so far.

Was the build a challenge?  Sure.  But note that he's actually playable with no Alpha slot yet.  Once I get the Alpha, I'll set Hasten to auto-fire so he can attack faster.  And maybe turn on Whirlwind, although I suspect that will just be annoying.

Sounds you might be better at slotting than I am. 🙂

I admit I have given up on a couple of sets largely because of endurance woes:

• Fire/Ice Dominator
  • Fire/Sonic Resonance Controller (worst ever)
  • Fire/Poison Controller
  • Ice/Earth Dominator

The common denominator is the big endurance cost of Arctic Air and Hot Feet. Do you have specific approaches for getting recovery under control? Especially with Fire/Sonic I could never get to a place that felt reasonable. 

17 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Do you have specific approaches for getting recovery under control? Especially with Fire/Sonic I could never get to a place that felt reasonable. 

Well, I don't use Mids so I wasn't building toward some equilibrium point.  I just piled on everything I could think of.

Toggle Man has:

+53% recovery from IO's.

Two Performance Shifter +END procs (one in Stamina and one in Physical Perfection)

The Panacea proc

And two pieces of Unbreakable Guard give a 2.5% END discount on everything.  He has that bonus four times.

Using the right IO pieces/sets can get you about 35-40% END discount on every power without messing up your damage/resistance/whatever.  Currently, he's a bit short of the smash/lethal resistance cap for scrappers but the Cardiac Alpha power gives endurance reduction and resistance so he'll be in a great place once I get that.

I could have gotten a little more +recovery with purple sets, but wasn't willing to invest too heavily in what was essentially a joke build.  I wasn't sure if he would be playable before I started.  It was pretty bad at low levels and he has END issues if I exemp down to level 20 or lower.

Clearly, I could have made him a wrecking machine if I was building for a balance between damage and survivability - but I wasn't.  I was building to see if I could run a stupid number of toggles just because.  🙂  Since his attack chain is Lunge, Boxing and Jump Kick, I run him at +0 level and solo with a team size set somewhere between 3 and 6 depending on what level he's working at.  The vast majority of his damage comes from his AoE toggles.

If you're building toward one goal, you can hit some pretty wild numbers.  I have an invuln tank with more than +350% regen from IOs.  And that's with no purples or PvP sets since I was trying to see how cheaply I could do it (under 60 million back on live, as I recall).

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

23 hours ago, Ironblade said:

I built Toggle Man based on a prose piece back on the live forums.

I think it’s interesting how Toggle Man is actually a lot more viable now than when that post was written. Back then, Toggle Man couldn’t get Stamina, because it isn’t a toggle, and since ED hadn’t happened, all endurance costs were higher. Several individual toggles also had their costs reduced. They also activate faster now in a lot of cases; Toggle Man originally couldn’t finish turning on his toggles before he ran out of endurance.

17 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Sounds you might be better at slotting than I am. 🙂

I admit I have given up on a couple of sets largely because of endurance woes:

• Fire/Ice Dominator
  • Fire/Sonic Resonance Controller (worst ever)
  • Fire/Poison Controller
  • Ice/Earth Dominator

The common denominator is the big endurance cost of Arctic Air and Hot Feet. Do you have specific approaches for getting recovery under control? Especially with Fire/Sonic I could never get to a place that felt reasonable. 

Extreme endurance reduction and recovery investment before or after 50, or Incarnates after 50. Endurance problems are a relic of the live days.

17 minutes ago, Vanden said:

They also activate faster now in a lot of cases; Toggle Man originally couldn’t finish turning on his toggles before he ran out of endurance.

Yes, I know it says that, but I think that might be a bit of exaggerat. . .   excuse me, 'poetic license'.

If anyone wants to see the full Toggle Man text, it's here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/34683-bad-build-decisions-youre-willing-to-admit-to/page/2/#comment-450081

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

5 hours ago, srmalloy said:

You put Brawl on autofire?     😁

No, because the original piece says he puts Conserve Power on auto-fire and pretends it's a toggle.   🙂

I will be doing more play testing.  I have only run this 50 Fire^3 in a few environments.   Still, my initial impression is there will be no end problems.  I did get set bonuses that added to max endurance where I could choose to do so.  Couple that with the Blaster sustain and the PBAoE End re overu power and I feel comfortable 

But I do need to play test a bit more.  I have made a few bonehead moves in the build I discovered.   Once I have a bit more time I will look at MiDs again and revise

Thank you everyone for the great tips and rollicking discussion.  

• Like 1