Bad Build Decisions You're Willing to Admit To

oedipus_tex

14 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

My first controller was Grav/Kin and I took dimension shift rather than crushing field because it sounded more powerful. Those early groups I teamed with were in for a surprise!

She also had flight, group fly,  +kinetic travel powers because it sounded fun and also because it seemed wrong to be a gravity controller and not have the ability to make your teammates fly or bounce around!

Not sure if these count as mistakes or not 😅

I see nothing wrong here. 😄 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

I was today years old learning this. 

*in yoda voice* Ashamed, am I. Controllers, suck at do I.

😑

The reason it tricks so many people is the damage in the immobilize is often a DoT, so its hard to see how much is piling up.

On a Controller, the T1 immobilize does 30.59 damage base. With Containment, that's about 61 damage. A standard Blaster T1 blast with 4 second recharge like Power or Ice Bolt is 62 damage. So the T1 is not huge damage, but it's pretty comparable to a Blaster's T1, and because of Containment superior to the T1s most Defender/Corruptor/Sentinels get if you let the DoT complete.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not really a bad BUILD decision, but...

The first thing I do when I roll a new character is /cleartray, then expand the three trays, put a fourth one up top of the UI for toggles, and a 5th one to the left of the power trays.  I then go in and set up attribute monitors for Ranged/Melee, Damage Bonus, Recharge, Regeneration, Recovery, Consumption, ToHIt, and Hold Protection.  Then I go in and put the single target powers in tray one, AoEs in tray 2, and buffs/debuffs in tray 3, go to P2W and get my temp powers/buffs and so on.

I say all this because I do this on every new character, like clockwork, including my first Dominator.  Nobody told me Domination was linked to a button, so I ran around like that for ~20 levels before I mentioned to a friend how much this Dominator sucked, and yadda yadda yadda, one "You're such an idiot" later I located the button and suddenly that Dominator got a lot better.

Along the same lines... I don't get SR Scrappers, at all.  I know people seem to like them, but every SR Scrapper I've built withers in content that even my squishiest Controllers saunter through easily.  Does Super Reflexes have a button I am missing?

As far as a real build decision that was bad, I made a Fire/Nat Controller, and for whatever reason decided to go all-in on the Medicine pool, even Field Medic.  Every time I fire this one up, I encounter an incomprehensible tray full of green icons that, when clicked, deliver scads of disappointment.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

5 minutes ago, roleki said:

Does Super Reflexes have a button I am missing?

Practiced Brawler. It's your mez protection. Helps a ton, I swear. (Seriously, SR is one of the most powerful armor sets, especially these days. PM me if you'd like to know more.)

The majority of my bad build decisions come from concept.

I have a boxer that refuses to take Rib Cracker, Spinning Strike and Shin Breaker.

I have a swipe-only/inv scrapper.

I built and enjoy a DA/Stone tank. The end suckage on that combo is downright insane. Less so after cardiac radial, thankfully.

I have a peacebringer.

• Thumbs Up 1

How about "Bad Build Decisions That You Are Proud Of And Revel In"?  🙂

I will repost a brilliant piece of prose from the forums back on live.  I have actually created this character and played him to level 48 so far.  My build is not identical to the description since I don't have Whirlwind yet and will be taking that at level 49.  Also, you can now run Combat Jumping and Super Jump at the same time, but I took Jump Kick anyway because it is featured so prominently in the text.

Toggle Man

I would like to tell you about a friend of mine. His name is Toggle Man, and he has come to town to show you how things are done.

Toggle Man is a Spines/Dark Armor Scrapper. But not a wuss about it, like all those other Spines/Dark Armor Scrappers.  He took Lunge, because he had to. And he took Quills, because it's a Toggle, and he's Toggle Man. But as far as he's concerned, you can take the rest of those powers to the DUMP where they BELONG.

Oh, that's right. Toggle Man went there.

He went there, came back, and brought you a T-Shirt.

It says "I'm with Toggle Man, so you'd better Toggle On some RESPECT!"

Toggle Man took seven of the nine powers in Dark Armor. Can you guess which ones? Toggle Man does not need to rez.  Toggle man thinks self-heals are for little girls and communists. Toggle Man does not hurt. Toggle Man does not die.  Toggle Man runs Toggles. Eight of them, so far.

Nine. Sprint. Toggle Man is not such a connoisseur of toggles that he'd forget the granddaddy of 'em all.  Toggle Man runs Sprint all the time. Because Toggle Man knows what's up. Toggle Man wishes he could run all four Veteran sprints too, at the same time. But we try not to remind him of it... Toggle Man dies a little inside every time he thinks about a Toggle he can't run...  Don't cry for Toggle Man. He needs you to be strong. He needs you to Toggle On your Brave Face for him, ok? Ok.

Toggle Man likes the Leadership Pool. But not Vengeance. Even though Toggle Man's weak and puny allies are constantly kissing the floorboards around him, Toggle Man will not lower himself to use a Click power on their greasy carcasses. Because he's Toggle Man, and his job is to run Toggles, in case you hadn't heard.

Toggle Man likes the Leaping Pool. He likes it so much, he compromised and took Jump Kick! Mostly because Combat Jumping and Super Jumping wouldn't work together, and Toggle Man is unhappy when he has to choose between two toggles. Toggle Man took Acrobatics, because NOBODY pushes Toggle Man around.

Are you looking at Toggle Man funny? I didn't think so. Punk. You'd best run home to your Mommy and Toggle On a pair of dry underpants. Oh, Snap!

Toggle Man also likes the Speed pool. But not Hasten. Toggle Man's Toggles are always on, and that ain't changing.  So who cares when they recover? Not Toggle Man, that's for sure! Toggle Man loves Super Speed and Whirlwind, and he runs them all the time. Sometimes Toggle Man's friends get frustrated, and say, "Toggle Man, could you stop super speeding around, knocking all the guys all over the place?" and Toggle Man, he says "Sure, as soon as you stop BREATHING!" Toggle Man is not gonna keep quiet while suckas be dissin' on his Toggles.

Toggle Man likes Tough and Weave! Enough to take Boxing, even! Oh my gosh, Toggle Man has an "Attack Chain" now! But he doesn't use it, because he's not a wuss. He's Toggle Man, and his Toggles are good enough, thank you very much.

Toggle Man likes Focused Accuracy. Take that, Stalkers! Toggle Man is watching! Toggle Man isn't going to take any crap from you!

Toggle Man also took Conserve Power, which isn't a Toggle, but he sets it on auto and pretends that it is. Awwww yeeeaah. Toggle Man is all about conservation. Toggle Man wishes he could Toggle the Ozone Layer back on, but he can't. Because of the restraining order.

Toggle Man loves Toggles so much, he didn't even take a power at 49, because he couldn't find any more Toggles. He is thinking about Confront, though, because he's sick of all these pansies seeing him coming and saying "Oh, crap! It's Toggle Man! We'd best run!" Well not any more, punk!  Toggle Man is comin' to get'cha!

Toggle Man goes through endurance 8 times faster than he recovers it. Toggle Man can only actually finish turning all his Toggles on before his blue bar empties out, if he turns on Rest first, and that makes Toggle Man uncomfortable even if Rest is a Toggle too. Toggle Man wants to know if he can mooch a couple blues? No? That's cool. Toggle Man doesn't trust inspirations anyway. Since they're not, you know, Toggles. What's up with that?  Why all the inspirations got to be Clicks, yo? That is whack.

Toggle Man. Coming soon to a Test Server near you.

Edited by Ironblade
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I took Time Bomb once.

Briefly.

Until I could respec it out.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

In Dark Miasma...two words:  Black.  Hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

8 hours ago, roleki said:

do this on every new character, like clockwork

May I introduce you to my good friend, /wdwsavefile? I think you two would get along great!

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

23 hours ago, Aracknight said:

"smell my foot!  Now smell it again!"

literally coughed beer out my nose at this, it reminded me of when Spidey became my favourite comic hero. He jumped off a ledge and kicked some poor schlep in the face and said "pardon my ahtletes foot guys"
thanks dude, I have to clean my keyboard now but it was worth it.

• Thanks 1

I took and promptly slotted up that new flight power "evasive maneuvers", before I read that the defense bonus only applies when you weren't in combat, issuing commands to pets, and weren't interacting with a glowie...

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

Constantly forgetting the rule of five when slotting Luck of the Gamblers everywhere.

I found that out the hard way.  My Katana/SR Stalker was initially rolled to get as many LotG uniques as possible.  Noticed it wasn't helping any more when I put the 7th one in.  Oh well.

At least Disco Ninja remains an awesome character concept.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

5 hours ago, blue4333 said:

Playing a Petless Mastermind

Comment /avatar synergy there, I can feel it.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I have a Blaster without Hasten.1

I have a Scrapper that uses LBE in her ST chain.2

I now struggle to play the game without Combat Teleport.3  Which isn't a *bad* decision in the least, but it does mean sacrificing numbers in exchange for extreme mobility, fun factor, and Rule of Cool.

1 - In fairness he needs an alternate build that includes it for [reasons], but the original build stays.

2 - Another toon I cannot bring myself to rebuild. Though if I could run /SD without Body or Ageless solving for endurance ....

3 - Technically I have 1 or 2 flying/ranged concepts that wouldn't need it, but they remain incomplete and largely unplayed.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

First ever online MMO……..

And

First ever alt way back on live - Claws/SR Scrapper…….

Proud owner of an Honours Degree in Totally Clueless..

Completely skipped Practise Brawler because… I already had Brawl so why double up?

Ah happy days lol

Ended up with a Masters Degree in Duh!

👨🏻‍🦳👨🏻‍🦳😄

I won't use fire or ice swords.. yuck (numbers be damned)

Stone hammers.. different story (i dunno why)

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum