Alt Account Benefits Galore!

Snarky

On Excelsior (and probably in most games in one form or another) there is a near constant stream of requests: "Looking for a farm (trying to get to 50) (want to open incarnates) (need cash) (etc, etc, etc)

I have played this old game a long time.  There has literally been a monumental shift since I set up an alt acct about a year ago.  I want a new 50?  Okay, I create a new toon on main acct.  Log in my alt acct farmer.  3 hours later.  50.  with incarnates opened up.

I do not enjoy farming.  I craft and convert for cash. This is slightly less boring for me than farming.  But I do appreciate a 50 in a few hours!

The benefits: I earn quite a bit of INF on the farmer while I PL the new toon.  Between the two toons in the farm I generally get about 80 or so recipes.  Craft/convert/sell or store (purples and pvps get stored)    Did I mention I go from concept to 50 with incarnates open in a few hours.  All with never sending a single tell asking for anything from anybody.  On my time.  Relaxed.  Want a snack break.  I am running the farm, why not?  Life is easy with an alt account farmer.

I use an older comp to run the second instance.  That way I have two screens up.  But almost every comp can run two instances of CoH with no problems.

Please spread the word in game whenever you can.  Help people help themselves.  As my Fire Farmer says; "If you give a man a fire he is warm for the night.  If you light him on fire he is warm for the rest of his life."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, SunSetSam said:

Returning player.  How do you run 2 instances at once on one computer?

There's an option in the launcher to allow multiple instances.  Select it, launch the game as normal, then initiate a second instance of the game.  You'll need to setup a 2nd game account for said additional instance.  You can then switch between the 2 instances or use a 2nd computer to run the other instance...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, The_Warpact said:

Or 3 accounts...🙄

Depending on server load there are some self imposed rules on how many CoH a single player should be running.  I just run the one farmer a few times a month depending on my alt itis.   Never really delved into the exact rules.

16 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I use an older comp to run the second instance.  That way I have two screens up.  But almost every comp can run two instances of CoH with no problems.

That's an understatement.  The computer I was using to play CoH FIFTEEN YEARS AGO could run three accounts.

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Depending on server load there are some self imposed rules on how many CoH a single player should be running.  I just run the one farmer a few times a month depending on my alt itis.   Never really delved into the exact rules.

The key sections are as follows:

- If there are less than 1500 people logged in to a shard you may play with up to three accounts at once.

- If there are more than 1500 people logged into a shard you may only play with a single account.

Also, the Hamidon raid zones (The Hive and The Abyss) NEVER allow multi-boxing.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Just now, Ironblade said:

The key sections are as follows:

- If there are less than 1500 people logged in to a shard you may play with up to three accounts at once.

- If there are more than 1500 people logged into a shard you may only play with a single account.

Is 1500 equivalent to server in the red?  How would we know.  I literally never paid any attention.  This will surprise many of you....okay, maybe not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

Is 1500 equivalent to server in the red?  How would we know.  I literally never paid any attention.  This will surprise many of you....okay, maybe not.

At the top of the forum screen is a button called 'Server Status' which gives the exact current population on each shard (and also breaks it down between red and blue).

• Thumbs Up 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

29 minutes ago, Snarky said:

But almost every comp can run two instances of CoH with no problems.

Anecdotal completely debatable point, and especially dependent on your definition of “no problems”. Maybe true, but telling people to create alt accounts and simply assuming it is true is ignorant and unhelpful.

• Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

Anecdotal completely debatable point, and especially dependent on your definition of “no problems”. Maybe true, but telling people to create alt accounts and simply assuming it is true is ignorant and unhelpful.

seriously?  you are seriously making the point that modern computers might have issues running multiple CoH instances, a game nearly 20 years old.  okay.  Want a hat?

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

38 minutes ago, Snarky said:

seriously?  you are seriously making the point that modern computers might have issues running multiple CoH instances, a game nearly 20 years old.  okay.  Want a hat?

It’s not a point, it’s an objective fact…. Thanks for responding to my critique that something looks ignorant by displaying your own staggering ignorance.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, arcane said:

It’s not a point, it’s an objective fact…. Thanks for responding to my critique that something looks ignorant by displaying your own staggering ignorance.

I started this thread to help people help themselves.

If you want to educate people about why they should not run multiple CoH why don't you twist off and start your own thread jack

Edited by Snarky
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

I started this thread to help people help themselves.

If you want to educate people about why they should not run multiple CoH why don't you twist off and start your own thread jack

I’m pointing out that not everyone can do it and any assertion to the contrary is called a lie. It’s completely on topic. Get over it.

• Thumbs Down 3

Gentlemen, there's no fighting in the War Room!

ETA: I may be conflating the War Room comment with it's cousin, "Gentlemen, rest your sphincters."   While it's true not EVERY computer can run HC, the hardware that WILL run it is ubiquitous enough that we shouldn't have to make special note of the hardware that can't.  You'll know if your shit can't deal.

Edited by roleki
  • Haha 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

11 minutes ago, arcane said:

I’m pointing out that not everyone can do it and any assertion to the contrary is called a lie. It’s completely on topic. Get over it.

This gentleman is correct.  His wisdom is mighty.  All heed and be wary.  If you play on a toaster do not attempt this.  M'kay?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

23 minutes ago, arcane said:

C'mon Arcane. He's making a general statement. Which, like all general statements, is generally true the majority of the time for the majority of people. Don't be one of those guys who freaks out and argues semantics.  Don't be that guy. You're smarter than that.

Most people who've bought even a reasonably new computer at any point within the last 10 years will be able to run multiple instances of CoH. With a little bit of work (plugging in a USB keyboard) you can run CoH on a friggin TABLET.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

29 minutes ago, arcane said:

He originally qualified has statement with "almost", meaning "not every", so it seems you are in the wrong, here...

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, biostem said:

He originally qualified has statement with "almost", meaning "not every", so it seems you are in the wrong, here...

Considering he mocked me for suggesting that not everyone can do it, it seemed obvious in his future posts that he was taking the stance that everyone can do it. Otherwise why would you mock a fact.....

I admit to overlooking his "almost". Easy to do when he's mocking that notion himself.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Considering he mocked me for suggesting that not everyone can do it, it seemed obvious in his future posts that he was taking the stance that everyone can do it. Otherwise why would you mock a fact.....

That is not my interpretation of the chain of events, after re-reading Snarky's and then your posts.

1 minute ago, biostem said:

That is not my interpretation of the chain of events, after re-reading Snarky's and then your posts.

I interpreted his first reply to me as "you're actually claiming that some computers can't double box? HA WHAT AN IDIOT EL OH EL". Which ofc would be contradictory to the little baby "almost" buried way up there. And ofc would be a stupid thing to say.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, arcane said:

I interpreted his first reply to me as "you're actually claiming that some computers can't double box? HA WHAT AN IDIOT EL OH EL". Which ofc would be contradictory to the little baby "almost" buried way up there.

Would it help if I told you I am one of the folks running HC on a laptop not designed for gaming, and that based on the heat generated from a single instance I'd probably want to have a mineral oil quench on hand because I am pretty sure that the alloy this thing is made of doesn't qualify as a slow enough material for air tempering .....

..... and that I felt in no way mocked or attacked by this thread?

🍻

• Thumbs Down 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.